Why is football

CoachTVA

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fan support is good here in Tn for the most part but like Tx and Pa.  go to South GA and you'll see some real fan support.  I just wish East tn (especially the Knox area) would put more support in to it from the admin. of the school point.

825477512[/snapback]

I didn't realize there was a problem in East TN. Sorry to hear that. It 's always been a strong hold for HS football! Like I said TX and SW PA put everyone to shame, but TN football has got a good thing going, and I don't want to see them like it is up here! Keep it going strong at home for those of us who can't been there! thumb

I can't agree with the FL and CA part of the discussion.  While in the Marine Corps, I lived in both of these states, and I never saw the enthusiasm that I grew up seeing.  I am sorry though, that I left out Ohio and MI.  you're right, they are big football states.

Someone commented on businesses getting behind our teams.  Personally, I have seen businesses in Cookeville back our boys for a long time.  I think the reason for lack of interest from businesses is, sometimes, caused by having so mony schools in one area and having more of them pop up every year.  In the county I live in here in Virginia, we have 4 high schools right now, and they are opening another one next year and another in '07.  It's really hard to have any team spirit if you don't know who your team is!  At any rate, football in Virginia cannot hold a candle to football at home!  And that is just sad! :D

825476491[/snapback]

:D California, Florida and Texas annually have more D1 football recruits than anybody else. Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, Georgia and Alabama are somewhere in the mix after that and I believe I read in a recruiting Mag that Mississippi has more D1 prospects per capita than any other state. I'd think Virginia and Louisiana produce more D1 talent than Tennessee. I know UT has gotten some big time recruits from those states and rarely signs more than 4 or 5 in state kids. While I agree that the passion for high school football runs pretty high in Tennessee, it hasn't necessarily translated into roster spots at the D1 level.

Edited by ksgovols

:D  California, Florida and Texas annually have more D1 football recruits than anybody else.  Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, Georgia and Alabama are somewhere in the mix after that and I believe I read in a recruiting Mag that Mississippi has more D1 prospects per capita than any other state.  I'd think Virginia and Louisiana produce more D1 talent than Tennessee.  I know UT has gotten some big time recruits from those states and rarely signs more than 4 or 5 in state kids.  While I agree that the passion for high school football runs pretty high in Tennessee, it hasn't necessarily translated into roster spots at the D1 level.

825477540[/snapback]

I wasn't saying that at all. I'm just talking about the HS level intensity. You can hardly beat what goes on in TN on Friday nights! The most D1 boys per capita is in SW PA. I gaurantee it! More college and pro players come from that corner of that single state, than any other!

I still think the Big Orange State is better than all of them!! thumb

825477621[/snapback]

Tennessee doesnt even hold a candle to Alabama when it comes to High School Football. The fan support and participation is levels above most states. Tennessee is way above most also, but for some strange reason Alabama has more support for football than Tn. It may have something to do with Bear Bryant. He is still revered highly down there. Dads still dream of thier kids playing for the Tide just like they did 25 years ago. Thats a big thing there. Maybe thats why they tend to lean heavier towards football. Youll see more Bama apparell and bumper stickers (tags) than any other state. Heck there are alot more Tide fans in Tennessee than there are Vol fans in Alabama. I think they still lynch people for that down there.

Sember-Fi, Brother!  I played the 8-man game at Camp Lejeune.  Was a tremendous experience.

825477346[/snapback]

Football is big in TN but really only in certain parts like middle and upper east People out of state dont shivver at the sound of TN football players like TX, GA, or FL. the quality of football statewide can not compete with other states, Chattanooga football is terrible compared to Middle TN football

When I played ball at TN. Tech. we played Youngstown up there and that fri. before the game we practiced at a hs can't remember the name. But it was really awesome watching them practice for their game that night. They had 3 platoons of offense running plays. It looked like a army drill every platoon was on key. If that is indication of how they play football in Ohio then I'm sure they would be ranked among the elite in the USA. As for Soccer I think it's pretty good because as we all know everybody can't play football. And I'll bet other states don't have a forum like we do to discuss such matters.

Edited by Rocking Chair