Greatest Athletes

mustang69

I see many familiar names on the list so far from Carroll Co.. Some of these athletes haven't really stood the "test of time" yet but are well on their way. In addition to the McKenzie athletes that Sauce listed I'd like to add a few from McKenzie that surely deserve a mention.

Kermit Holland---Bethel

H.B. "Swat" Scarbrough---Bethel

Charles "Punk" Akers---Murray State

Doug & David Paschall---Sewanee (Univ. of the South)

Julius Simms---Virginia State

Ben Howard---Memphis State

Keeping the idea of this post in mind, I'll not list all athletes that have gone on to play college ball in some sport or other. All the above were multi-sport athletes and great at them all. I will give an honorable mention to some of the younger athletes from McKenzie that still have to prove the test of time.

Josh Stenberg---Bethel

Taylor Holland---Centre

I'll stop for now and this thread could easily carry over to the next winter sport forum!!!

The two very best that I'VE seen in my life are Tim Priest and George Abernathy!!!! You couldn't spit on the difference in the athletic ability, toughness, heart and performance of those two. Both were multi-sport athletes and both played football in the SEC!

However, two of the possible best from Carroll Co. are doing their thing right now as we speak. OK ya'll, not trying to start a dispute between county rivals at all,but, two more that will surely appear on this list in the future are Chris Donald and Drew Hayes. Both are multi-sport and great at them. I grew up with George Abernathy even though he played a couple of years after me, I saw every game he played. And I played against Tim Priest and knew him distantly. But, these two "young guns" may well raise the bar for all the others mentioned on here.

Just my $.02 worth.

Edited by duckman38201

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GB,

Chris Donald IS a great baseball player but, in talking with his dad at work, he finally realized that one needs a break SOMETIME during the year. When a kid plays with as much intensity and desire as it seems Chris does, it's all too easy to get burned out quick. Something had to be dropped and Chris chose to drop baseball. I'm told that baseball just may be Chris' best sport too.? But, it's Chris' choice and I respect that. The Donald's are good people and I can attest to that.

Chris isn't the only good athlete that's lived under their roof. Chris' mom was a great basketball player, his older brother was a very good football player at Huntingdon and Chris' older sister played college basketball. I could even tell you about a few of Chris' cousins and uncles in other west TN towns that have made a name for themselves in sports.

As I said in my last post, George Abernathy and Tim Priest are the two best I'VE SEEN so far but, Chris Donald has the ability to become the VERY best I've seen in Carroll Co.. Drew Hayes could also sneak in there and get a ringer on me! All the athletes listed on this thread are/were great athletes. There are a few that have been mentioned that to "officially" be put on the list should be given more time to see how things go in the future for them.

I'll agree with one thing, Reggie Gordon brought a WHOLE new definition to the word Defense!!!!!!!! That boy would rip your head off!!!!!!!!!!!!

wingman10,

Dale Kelly is from H-town and was and athlete as best I remember but, don't really know if he belongs on this particular list of outstanding Carroll Countians. Someone from the other side of the river (Crooked Creek) will have to help with this one.

Guess I may as well go ahead and say that Bobby Hayes was one of the toughest dudes I ever faced too!!!! Bobby got his knee blown out while playing in college and could never make good on his pro draft with the Denver Broncos (or was it Houston) but, he surely deserves the recognition.

Edited by duckman38201

wingman10,

Dale Kelly is from H-town and was and athlete as best I remember but, don't really know if he belongs on this particular list of outstanding Carroll County athletes. Someone from the other side of the river (Crooked Creek) will have to help with this one.

825477479[/snapback]

He played BBball for Bethel, I think he is in their hall of fame.

I am from middle tn, but I use to follow Bruceton football because of some relatives and I believe that any of their tailbacks from 88-2002 would be on that list.. They have had some great ones, with Patrick Willis being the best...Just an opinion.. Also there is great football played over there..........

Just so you guys can remember the West side of the county - Ricky Scates, Trezevant Basketball and Baseball - Could jump high enough to knock a quarter off of the top of the backboard. Not the rim - the Backboard. He lacked the brains to play college but had nothing but raw talent.

Also, Kevin Holder, West Carroll HS - Basketball and Baseball - Fastball in high 80's and could jump out of the gym.

Edited by Bulldog Fan #2

mustang69,

Thanks, that does ring a bell ( on D. Kelly ). guess I should have known that since I've grown up and still live within a good stones throw of Bethel. I'll also agree with hbc21, Bruceton has produced some very fine athletes and Patrick Willis may be the best of the bunch. Joe Longmier was very good but, he wasn't fond of contact at all. Hit him one good time and he always backed down. The problem was hittin' him one good time!!!!!!!!!

Edited by duckman38201

Also Jarod King state championship team

santiago boys

bedford wortham I apologize about the spelling

jamie williams

Longmire

Adian Jamison

Man could these boys run the ball of Tackle for those central tigers

They also had a linebacker Hunter Cole who was a good baseball player as well.............

Now ya'll, lets really get crazy! And I won't forget the west side of the county (I'll get them first). Since gender wasn't specified, let's see how ya'll can hang with this:

Vickie Holmes----Trezevant (played on the last Trezevant HS state championship girls basketball team and scored the last two points of that game.) She's my 1st cousin so I had to put her on the list!!!!! BUT, she got the job done.

Emily Scarbrough----McKenzie (She was the top scorer in the state her junior and senior year with a 40+ point per game average and a state final 4 appearance.)

OK guys, run with that!

OK, OK, I like football a LOT more too but, the thread didn't specify gender so.............. Matter of fact, there have been some girls in Carroll co. that would have been good football players!

Just so you guys can remember the West side of the county  - Ricky Scates, Trezevant Basketball and Baseball - Could jump high enough to knock a quarter off of the top of the backboard. Not the rim - the Backboard. He lacked the brains to play college but had nothing but raw talent.

Also, Kevin Holder, West Carroll HS - Basketball and Baseball - Fastball in high 80's and could jump out of the gym.

825477527[/snapback]

What about the guy from Trezevant who played pro football? I think his name was Les Bingham. May be wrong about the spelling of his last name.

825477527[/snapback]

Bulldog Fan #2

Kevin Holder was WEAK. :D Just kidding...Where is old Stokey now? Steve Pinson could chunk it in the mid 90's, whatever happened to him? Also, what about Chris Emerson? That boy was DANGEROUS on the hardwood, I remember he was knocking them down from NBA 3 pt range when he was in the 7th grade, and he also had a curve ball out of this world. Kenny Taylor? Warren Tate?

The Chism's from McKenzie were both good baseball players and Randy Hayes from over there also.