McCallie Vs. Baylor

ghetto meadow

what are everyones toughts on the Chatt papers coverage of the match. I felt that the only reason that the article was written was for ward gossett? to make up excuses for the big blue. Dan Waddell had some very classy comments but good old gordon  10 out of 12 matches. how assenine

congrats to baylor on a great win

825543759[/snapback]

Here are my thoughts:

I haven't posted on this thing in a long time. I haven't really even looked at this thing in a long time. I haven't even really followed wrestling as closely this year as I have during the course of my life. But I read this entire thread from start to this point and honestly it makes me sick.

I am embarrassed by many immature comments from McCallie fans, and I am irked by fans from Baylor side who make bogus statements. I wasn't able to attend the big match Friday; it's the first one I have missed in my life that I can remember. But it sounds like it was another classic epic battle. Both sides always have their guys ready to go. And when people get on here and start casting judgments, making bogus biased comments, and just flat out representing their respective sides with a mincing degree of immaturity it takes away from sport and it takes away from the accomplishments of these young men who put themselves and their dignity on the line out there in front of thousands of fans and peers.

I can tell you from my experience, and I'm sure any wrestler from Baylor, McCallie, or anywhere that wrestled when I did or before me will tell you the same thing, that wrestling is not just the toughest sport physically but also mentally and emotionally. I was nervous every time I stepped out on the mat. I was risking a lot by being out there, we all did. For me it was even twice as hard having my dad, Gordon Connell, as my coach. Everyone expected me to win. But the thing is, AS NERVOUS AS I WAS; I WAS HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE. (I'm also having the "time of my life" up here at U.T. now haha). But in all seriousness I think about what wrestling meant for me and what it has done for me. I'm sure all of you old timers and guys like me who are just out of the mix of things will agree that it did much to shape you into the person you are today.

In reply to the comment about my father's quote in the newspaper...I talked to my dad last night and he was very irritated by it. He was extremely misquoted. You all know how that goes. It happens. He really said something about how so many of the individual matches could have gone both ways and how that could make a difference in the final outcomes of the matches if they were to wrestle some 10 times or so. Sometimes when my dad talks he goes off on tangents and it becomes hard to follow him. I know this because not only have I lived with him my whole life but I also had him as an 8th grade science teacher and many can attest to this statement. Haha sorry dad.

Baylor fans lay off my dad and stick to supporting your tough young men like Dan Waddell (very impressive win by the way), Corey Manson, Ben Johnson, etc. And McCallie fans I'm disappointed many of your immature comments as well. Praise these young men who are actually in the arena doing the hard work and putting it all on the line in front of peers, fans, friends, and family.

People, have fun on here. Make your comments. But check yourself at the door. This is a great sport, highly respected. Two great teams Baylor and McCallie, with two extremely respected programs both currently and historically.

Congratulations to an impressive win Baylor and Congratulations to my brother wrestlers and former teammates at McCallie for a hard fought well represented match. Can't wait to come down for the State in February!

Edited by LeeConnell

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my thoughts:

I haven't posted on this thing in a long time. I haven't really even looked at this thing in a long time. I haven't even really followed wrestling as closely this year as I have during the course of my life. But I read this entire thread from start to this point and honestly it makes me sick.

I am embarrassed by many immature comments from McCallie fans, and I am irked buy fans from Baylor side who make bogus statements. I wasn't able to attend the big match Friday; it's the first one I have missed in my life that I can remember. But it sounds like it was another classic epic battle. Both sides always have their guys ready to go. And when people get on here and start casting judgments, making bogus biased comments, and just flat out representing their respective sides with a mincing degree of immaturity it takes away from sport and it takes away from the accomplishments of these young men who put themselves and their dignity on the line out there in front of thousands of fans and peers.

I can tell you from my experience, and I'm sure any wrestler from Baylor, McCallie, or anywhere that wrestled when I did or before me will tell you the same thing, that wrestling is not just the toughest sport physically but also mentally and emotionally. I was nervous every time I stepped out on the mat. I was risking a lot by being out there, we all did. For me it was even twice as hard having my dad, Gordon Connell, as my coach. Everyone expected me to win. But the thing is, AS NERVOUS AS I WAS; I WAS HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE. (I'm also having the "time of my life" up here at U.T. now haha). But in all seriousness I think about what wrestling meant for me and what it has done for me. I'm sure all of you old timers and guys like me who are just out of the mix of things will agree that it did much to shape you into the person you are today.

In reply to the comment about my father's quote in the newspaper...I talked to my dad last night and he was very irritated by it. He was extremely misquoted. You all know how that goes. It happens. He really said something about how so many of the individual matches could have gone both ways and how that could make a difference in the final outcomes of the matches if they were to wrestle some 10 times or so. Sometimes when my dad talks he goes off on tangents and it becomes hard to follow him. I know this because not only have I lived with him my whole life but I also had him as an 8th grade science teacher and many can attest to this statement. Haha sorry dad.

Baylor fans lay off my dad and stick to supporting your tough young men like Dan Waddell (very impressive win by the way), Corey Manson, Ben Johnson, etc. And McCallie fans I'm disappointed many of your immature comments as well. Praise these young men who are actually in the arena doing the hard work and putting it all on the line in front of peers, fans, friends, and family.

People, have fun on here. Make your comments. But check yourself at the door. This is a great sport, highly respected. Two great teams Baylor and McCallie, with two extremely respected programs both currently and historically.

Congratulations to an impressive win Baylor and Congratulations to my brother wrestlers and former teammates at McCallie for a hard fought well represented match. Can't wait to come down for the State in February!

825543882[/snapback]

Great letter Lee. You have an awesome family.

825543882[/snapback]

It's good to know it was a misquote. Either way I think the Baylor folks were relieved to see that they were at least given a chance to win one more on Saturday before taking a hit on 10 straight.

Edited by mtnrasslin

just wondering whos gonna win it this year....

baylors got  - 103 , 112 , 125 , 171 , 215 , 275

McCallie's got - 119 , 130 , 135 , 140 , 145 , 152 , 160 , 189

your thoughts ?

825478823[/snapback]

I am a little slow on my response but the way I count it, you were 7of 14 , don't become a bookie - on a more serious note friday night was a wonderful event to witness thanks to both teams for an exciting event - good luck in states hope baylor uses their one chance wisely - jt

Here are my thoughts:

I am embarrassed by many immature comments from McCallie fans, and I am irked by fans from Baylor side who make bogus statements. I wasn't able to attend the big match Friday; it's the first one I have missed in my life that I can remember. But it sounds like it was another classic epic battle. Both sides always have their guys ready to go. And when people get on here and start casting judgments, making bogus biased comments, and just flat out representing their respective sides with a mincing degree of immaturity it takes away from sport and it takes away from the accomplishments of these young men who put themselves and their dignity on the line out there in front of thousands of fans and peers.

825543882[/snapback]

wow lee thanks for that really, i appreciate what you've got to say about wrestling and the way that the wrestlers work...as for your comments about your father, they were completly true i heard from a first hand sorce what he said and when i read the article i was very angry, i can also see why they misquoted him cuz i have had him as an 8th grade teacher. Mccallie Baylor is always a spectical and will remain a spectical i almost wish i had a side view to see both sides but because i'm a mccallie kid i'll always see it with a bluish tent. its gonna be a great weekend and i really hope that our guys will get another crack at Baylor because with a few minor adjustments we could make it closer or even win.. :(

Two great teams Baylor and McCallie, with two extremely respected programs both currently and historically.

825543882[/snapback]

And two great coaches!! Next Saturday will be interesting, especially if it is a Baylor and McCallie match up in finals. It will be interesting to see where Cody wrestles this time. This could go either way and my gut :D tells me nothing on this one. :unsure:

soms

Note: It would seem logical to have an "open invite" to certain teamsm like a NCAA tournament (in several sports) based on strength/schedule. Seeding has to take this into account as well. + Cleveland shouldn't be sitting at home this weekend. Bradley sure earned their way to Clarksville!!

• 9 years later...