Oak Ridge vs. Oliver Springs

OS91

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Todd will be the first to tell you, this year's team has a long way to go. Their schedule hasn't been as tough as in year's past and I think that was done intentionally to get his team some confidence heading into the postseason. That's just smart thinking. Anyway, the game won't happen and best of luck to both programs as the year winds down. I am just thankful that two great programs are so close to one another.

825514467[/snapback]

Are you saying that playing a schedule similar to years before, a tougher more challenging one, would have hurt this team? If you are, aren't you afraid that they might fold in a big game where things don't go their way? I'm not being critical at all, just asking........ :lol:

I think you have a very valid point. However, some teams are made different. When losing such a dominating leader, I feel the scheduling was key to build confidence. Heck, I am no coach and the Lady Bobcats have played some tough teams, but we all know how fierce girl's basketball is across the state.

It will be interesting if you are correct or not, who really knows. I know several of the girls on the OS team and love 'em to death. I wish them the best. I have had great conversations with Wright and some may never know what a true asset, not just on the court, he is to Oliver Springs. Expectations are a heck of a thing and with success, you get that. Since this was originally an Oak Ridge/Oliver Springs thread, the OS program is learning just a little of what Oak Ridge girl's basketball players have felt over that program's history.

Think about playing with the ghosts of nine state championships hanging in your rafters.

Are you saying that playing a schedule similar to years before, a tougher more challenging one, would have hurt this team?  If you are, aren't you afraid that they might fold in a big game where things don't go their way?  I'm not being critical at all, just asking........ :lol:

825514603[/snapback]

Thanks for all the compliments on the schedule... I really worked hard on it. But so that all of you might have something more to talk about than how T. Wright watered down the schedule.... This years schedule was made with the boys team in mind. We discussed the schedule a lot and Coach Wright made many concessions and agreed to play lesser teams so that the boys might be more competitive. He does not run from a challenge... he would seek it out if he had a chance. High school sports tend to cycle. Oliver Spirings girls are on a high - unmatched in school history (while their boys are on a low). Oak Ridge girls are on a low by their standards. This year would have been a great year for them to play. But let's look at history... the OS vs OR match-up would not be pretty year in and year out. It has not been good for Alcoa's girls (who by the way is even smaller then OS) but the game has a lot of history and is very competitive for the boy's. It just goes to show that scheduling is a lot more difficult than any fan could ever imagine. Congradulations to OS on their high ranking... it is an honor but it is otherwise meaningless. Games are won and lost on the court... players play, coaches coach and sometimes the media recognizes a team for the recent and past success. We have great kids at OS and I am really proud of them.... both the girls and our boys basketball teams. thumb

Oliver Spring's schedule

Clarkrange - Defending A state chams that demonstrated they can play with any AA and AA programs over the last couple years.

Seymour- AA Semifinals two years ago and Final Eight last season. Possibly the best team in the Knoxville area last year and 8-5 this season.

William Blount- 13-3 AAA team that beat Maryville who beat Oak Ridge

Powell- playing the best basketball of any team in Knoxville area over the last three-four weeks .

While it's not comparable to last season's schedule, without question these were very good games to schedule non-conference.

Also, after reading some commments by certain posters in this thread whether on the coaching level or local media, you would think Oliver Spring's girls basektball only started four years ago and has no history of it's own. As this might come as a surprise, OS best season of basketball was in the 80's when it was state runner-up in AA. Also, OS has played in substates in the 80's and 90's and always had very good teams prior to the mid-90's almost EVERY year consistantly winning 18-24 games every season up until the 93-94 season I believe. Even between 94-99, OS had some very good talent in players like Kandi Duncan, Claire Mollision ( played at Charlotte), and others as some of those teams made the region which harldy something to bahsamed of and let alone dismal.

While I agree, Todd Wright has been an amazing coach and OS fans should be thankfull for the success he has led OS to the last half decade. However, Todd Wright and all coaches at OS should be thankful for their positions as well. Oliver Springs has tremendous fan support and a very loyal & rabid fan base .

I do think OS fans know how fortunate they are to have the coaches that represent our community.