Jamont vs Louis Williams

NCS03

Two fundamentally-devoid physical treasure-troves met tonight in Greensboro, and the showier of two evils won.

I'll admit that it was an exhilirating game to watch; I found myself out of breath after watching it (but that may have been because I was calling the play-by-play in my dorm room). But the two squads looked like they were playing an NBA game; offense consisted of creating isolation situations, then spotting up for 3 or driving unilaterally to the hoop to throw the ball off the backboard. Defense consisted of trying to defend one-on-one, but not making any extra effort to doubleteam or, heaven forbid, steal the ball.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Oak Hill and South Gwinett face off tonight, and was amazed by the physical talent of players on both teams. But I was disappointed that neither squad knew how to consistently play fundamental basketball.

On another note, I thought Jamont played quite well. He hustled more than anyone else on the court, following his shot and snagging at least 5 rebounds after shots he missed. If he continues on his present course and ends up at UT next year, Buzz will be thrilled to have his services and I'll be elated to watch him play on a regular basis.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you say Jamont didn't get embarrassed. He may have kept Louis from scoring on the drive, but guess where Jamont sent him...the free throw line. Jamont could not keep up with Williams. In my opinion these two guys should not even be mentioned in the same sentence...there is no comparison.

Jamont didn't fare well guarding L. Williams, who is a scoring point guard. Way too quick for Jamont. Lets not get carried away though because L. Williams doesn't want any parts of Jamont. I agree with the other post, not much fundamentals. Very little D. Jamont was jacking up long 3's(missed all of them). I keep trying to figure out jamonts position. They list him as a 2 but he plays like a four(he's probably their best rebounder). His jumping ability gives him an edge on players taller than him. His size gives him an advantage over players his height. I think his coach should post him up more. I wasn't impressed with Steve Smith's coaching. Really wasn't impressed with South Gwinnets coach either. HE lets Williams and Mercer do whatever. Williams launched long 3's which he started hitting in the 2nd half. Also as much as they jocked Durant, I think Brandon Wright is better than him. Oak hill has one point guard he looked pretty good, but outside of him, there is no one to set up the offense. Which showed throughout the game.

This isn't one of Oak Hills most talented teams. Lastly, I have no IDEA how David Palmer got on that team. He looked lost. I know people are constantly defending him but man he needs work.

I couldn't have said it better Cobrafan. South's coach will be the first to admit that he lets Mercer and Williams shoot anytime they want. He has confidence that they will make good choices. If Williams gets his stroke going, he can bury those deep 3's all day long. With the competition they play down here in GA, it is all good and well because Jukes is a rebounding machine. This kid is fundamentally sound and can do very big things with his career.

How can you say Jamont didn't get embarrassed.  He may have kept Louis from scoring on the drive, but guess where Jamont sent him...the free throw line.  Jamont could not keep up with Williams.  In my opinion these two guys should not even be mentioned in the same sentence...there is no comparison.

825524509[/snapback]

you just want to bash jamont gordon because you still can't take it that a lot of people feel he is better than your beloved tyler smith

Oh yeah, that is it. Where has Tyler been mentioned in this thread. I don't ride his jock strap like some GC fans. I have not seen the kid play all year, as a matter of fact, I now live about 30 minutes away from South Gwinnett. So this is coming from a guy who has seen Williams and Mercer play as well as Jamont. I would take either over Jamont. I don't really understand why everyone thinks he is so special. A 6'4 220lb guard that dominated on much lesser scale than he is on right now, but when matched up with the best guard in the country...he was whipped.

Oh yeah, that is it.  Where has Tyler been mentioned in this thread.  I don't ride his jock strap like some GC fans.  I have not seen the kid play all year, as a matter of fact, I now live about 30 minutes away from South Gwinnett.  So this is coming from a guy who has seen Williams and Mercer play as well as Jamont.  I would take either over Jamont.  I don't really understand why everyone thinks he is so special.  A 6'4 220lb guard that dominated on much lesser scale than he is on right now, but when matched up with the best guard in the country...he was whipped.

825524906[/snapback]

He dominated on a much lesser scale but he some how averages 18 points and 10 boards a game for one of the top 3 teams in the Nation. He's special because he's probably the best passer in HS basketball and has one of the best verts. What did he do that made you want to bash him anyways? Give credit where credit is due! A top 15 player in the 05 class putting up 18 points a game for Oak Hill is pretty good if you ask me.

Where exactly did I bash him. I simply said that he got emabarrassed by a far superior player. Jamont was a man among boys when he ran point for Glencliff. I haven't seen Oak Hill play except the other night on TV and the reason I think he scores so many points for them is because the other remarkable talent on the team takes the defense away from him. Granted, I was impressed with his ability to follow his shot and grab the boards but never did I see him finish one of those plays. I did see him walk and get his shot swatted by a 6'1 guard.

Edited by GCfan79