AA Predictions

TNT

AA in East TN will be VERY interesting this year.  Defending state champion Lenior City should be down slightly this year with the departure of Tommie Hicks...but don't count them out.  Pitching will hurt them...but they still have UT signed Sarah Vaughn, who is FAR AND AWAY the best offensive weapon in the state. 

District 3 will be tight.  Perennial power Gibbs will always be in the race as long as Mitchell is coaching.  Last year was the first year in 15+ years Gibbs did not travel to state, and they do have a very good freshman pitcher in Thomas contributing this year, but this district is not the same pushover it always was.  Alcoa....well in one word HOLIFIELD.  Although Alcoa has made great strides over the past couple of years, Holifield is the key to this team.  This kid makes the best offensive teams squirm...at 62+mph, when she is on...she is overpowering.  Seymour stands to have their best year ever this year, senior leadership, new offensive power, returning strong pitching from sophmore Monday....they are my favorite for District 3 (oh and by the way maniakjp, Seymour split with Pigeon Forge, winning at home in a rout and losing away without Monday on the mound). 

I agree with TNT, Walker Valley was impressive in the fall.  Bain is great pitching and they have offense to boot.  Don't know much about middle-west TN but it could easily be another E.TN State championship year.

825567316[/snapback]

I agree with Coach23 on one point. Sara Vaughn is amazing. If you have never seen this kid play, you have to go watch, it is a treat. I don't know enough about TN high school softball to comment directly on any team, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Vaughn put the team on her back again and make it to state. From what I've heard their pitching is not good enough to actuallly win it, but they make it back to the final eight without Tommee Hicks, what a testament to Vaughn.

I've had the good fortune to be around alot of top level college softball for a while now, and Sara Vaughn is the real deal and will get it done on the next level.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall Co. is a good team, and I believe they are one of the underestimated teams, just like Walker Valley.  Walker Valley should be a strong team: gaining new freshmen, and not losing any seniors.  Plus I hear that they have a tough schedule, including some of the state's top competitors.  This should help prepare them for their road to State tournament!

825565823[/snapback]

Creek Wood in Dickson Co also has a good team. They only lost one starter from last year and all key positions are back in play for them this year. Last year they made it to the state tournament as a second year school. AA should be very competitive this year.

Dont forget Pigeon Forge in D2 Region 1, they won the district last year behind pitching from Julie Poston (tournament mvp) and sticks from Hazelbaker,Mccarter, and Oliver, all of which are returning. If I'm not mistaken they beat Seymour twice and rutledge twice, dont leave out poor little Pigeon Forge.  They are returning all of their starters and picked up a couple of healthy hitting freshman.

825566347[/snapback]

Rutledge is added  a few very good Freshman as well to goalong  with a already deep squad.

The ladies will have a good year look out for the Lady Pioneers they have a couple of good Freshman pitchers that can help that already deep staff.

825571350[/snapback]

I know Collins anchors the team....and Rutledge had a good year last year....but who else are the difference makers. Who is the ace and where does she play outside of TSSAA? Just looking for info?

Creek Wood in Dickson Co also has a good team. They only lost one starter from last year and all key positions are back in play for them this year. Last year they made it to the state tournament as a second year school.

I agree with the pick of Creek Wood as a state tourney contender. This program has good pitching, solid fielding, and timely hitting. They have tournament experience on their side now. Watch for the Red Hawks in the AA state tournament for the second year in a row.

Marshall Co. has gone to Memphis 2 years running. 2 years ago they had many freshman starters, last year many sophomores led by great pitching by Paij Lintz, this year they have the same group of girls just all juniors this year......you are crazy if you dont have Marshall in the top 5 of AA teams. Look for another State bound team coming out of Marshall and look for them to go deep in the tourney just as they did last year.