A Lost Season

I understand where both sides are coming from on this, but, if they do institute a salary cap in the end, they may want to look at all the mistakes that were made when the big three sports started it.  The NFL's cap was a joke for years, because it only restricted the yearly payroll snd didn't address front loading contracts.  A player could only be making 4 mil a year on paper, but they would get some insane figure for a signing bonus, like Troy Aikman got 40 mil in a signing bonus that didn't figure into the cap.  Basically making the cap worthless.

825553036[/snapback]

The signing bonuses do count in the cap, but they're pro-rated for the length of the contract...if the contract isn't finished out, and they never are, the part of the signing bonus that's left to be pro-rated will be put on the next couple of years. All that stuff is really confusing, even though I try lol.

I'm with you on you take as far as cost cutting measures go.  The only thing wrong with it is that the $$ teams will buy championships just like the 97 Marlins did.  Does anyone know if the NHL practices revenue sharing like football, wherein all teams are guaranteed X amount of $$?

825553036[/snapback]

The NFL revenue-sharing system only works for one reason. Most of the NFL's revenue comes from its national TV contract. There isn't a whole lot of money, comparatively, in ticket sales (and ticket sales, aside from luxury suites, are split between both teams, basically), radio rights, jersey sales (if you buy a Peyton Manning jersey from Finish Line, the Patriots get just as much money for it as the Colts -- the only extra money would be the store markup if you buy from a team store directly -- so if you bought a Manning jersey at, say, a store inside the Coliseum, the Titans would actually get more money from it than the Colts), etc.

The only revenue sharing the NFL has that other leagues don't is the ticket sales. That's why you see more PSL's in the NFL (those don't have to be split), etc.

The thing is, all the other leagues get their biggest revenue item from ticket sales, not TV rights. (Well, except for the Expos last year :) )

I just wish they could come to some sort of an agreement.  I can't understand how you can have meeting after meeting like Thursday's and not make any progress whatsoever! :)

825553036[/snapback]

Well, the owners are going nuclear trying to get a cap, and the players refuse to do it.

The owners better be careful...the players have the ultimate trump card here -- the owners' franchises are little more than worthless if they don't have the best players in the world playing for them.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7059... don't worry man! As Poile said today... "the Nashville Predators are here to stay." I'm cross as two sticks at the owners right now, but perhaps this is for the best. However, both sides MUST realize this is like a gun shot that just missed the heart... not starting on time in the fall will be like a secondary shot that doesn't miss!