TMSAA Area 4 Large School Division at North Middle

brocksterdanza

Tonights semi final action went as followed:

Cherokee Boys lost to the Sweetwater boys in a close game.

Cherokee Girls lost to the Heritage Girls in what seemed to never be close.

Athens Jr High beat William Blount in boys.

The number one seed Carpenters girls fell in an upset to Sweetwater as well.

The Cherokee teams were really in a no win situation, if they were to have won tonight, they would have to forfeit the next round (championship) due to not being in school. That would have been a tough situation for those teams, and i have to wonder if the kids didnt realize their season was over regardless of a win or loss. The awful thing was that if they even forfeited tomorrows games had they won tonight, they couldnt have hosted the play in game on saturday. This flu bug has made these tournaments a thing of mystery, i have a feeling that alot of the better teams arent in it because they have been affected in some shape or form by the flu bug.

There will be only 2 games at North Middle tomorrow..... THe championships on each side..... Sweetwater girls versus a very good Heritage Team, and THe Athens Boys against Sweetwater as well. These games will start at 4:30 and 5:45.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested to see if the forfeit stands because in the past they have delayed the sectional tournament at Pigeon Forge to let the area tournaments finish up, whether it's due to snow or sickness.

TMSAA will look real bad if they end a team's season because of a school board policy.

Besides, the Area 4 small school tournament isn't finishing until Saturday.

Edited by goosevol

I felt really bad for the Carpenter's girls on Wed afternoon. When you've reached this point of the season, the outcome of the game should be determined by the girls on the court playing ball, not on partial referees.

In this game, stating facts and not just whining ... Carpenters had 21 team fouls during the game ... Sweetwater had 5. Sweetwater shot 21 fouls shots .... Carpenters shot 2.

Now, if you're into how defenses work ... to further shed light on this travesty, Sweetwater played man-to-man defense almost the entire game while Carpenters packed in a zone. Man-to-man defense and you pick up 5 teams fouls the entire game.

Sweetwater, on several occasions, occupied the lane on offense forever (two or three times I did at least a 5 count while watching one of their players stand in the lane) yet only one three second violation was whistled the entire game. Guess who it was on? You got it .... Carpenters.

On one fast break, that resulted in a basket, a Sweetwater player in clear view, with a refereeing trailing her, completely picked up her dribble, ran a step, and then began dribbling again ... no call.

I realize it is just middle school ball, it's not earth shattering. But it was very important for 12 young ladies from Carpenters who had worked their rear ends off all year to get to where they were (I realize it's important to the Sweetwater girls too, and they played hard) and it's just a shame that two adult referrees, for whatever reason, decided to personally affect the outcome of the game.

Fortunately, Carpenters season is still alive. Hopefully, they can regroup and finish this thing out. I'd love to get another chance at the Sweetwater girls, with a set of refs that would just insure a "level playing field."

I'm finished whining now !!!

Not sure about the exact details, but it sounds like the TMSAA is doing the right thing and allowing Cherokee to play their consolation games on Saturday and pushing back the play-in games until Monday.

825560415[/snapback]

Goose,

From what our girl's coach told us at Carpenters, our game that was supposed to take place today (Thurs) vs Cherokee was "forfeited" and we (Carpenters) travel to Clinton on Saturday night (as #3 team) for play-in game.

Doesn't look like Cherokee is going to get a postponement.

This is unofficial, but we were called last night and told "No consolation game" ...we advance.

Tim Thompson (North Middle) told me today at 1:30 p.m. that TMSAA said to play the Cherokee games on Saturday. North, however, doesn't not think they will be able to host the games on Saturday and they are looking for another site in Blount County to play. Cherokee may have to play on someone's home court.

Thompson didn't want to make Cherokee forfeit, but he didn't the power to extend the tournament through Saturday and that's why it appeared that Cherokee was out. TMSAA, however, did make the change.

He also said that they would play the "play-in" games on Monday and the Pigeon Forge portion of the tournament would start on Tuesday.

The exact details weren't worked out at 1:30, but that's all I could come up with for our paper deadline. When I get the exact details I'll post them, but it appears that the championship games in Area 4 will be played tonight and the consolation games will be played on Saturday.

Then again, this could all change again.

Goose,

My latest update, as of 5:30 on Thursday afternoon:

Cherokee boys will play William Blount at 3:00; Cherokee girls will play Carpenters girls following.

Both games will be at Carpenters Middle.

Directions if anyone is interested:

Take 411 S towards Atlanta; turn left on 129 (Calderwood Hwy) about 4 or 5 miles south of Maryville (you'll come to a traffic light intersection with a convenience strip mall on left and an adult book store (!?!) on right. You'll turn left here ... this is Calderwood (129). You'll travel 2 - 3 miles on Calderwood before you come to Huffstetler Road on left (they've added an extra lane where you turn). Come out Huffstetler a mile or so and you'll see Carpenters on the left. Don't anyone hold me to these mileage estimates. I've traveled it everday for 3 years, but I've never actually measured the distances.

It's a great facility and we look forward to two great games. I'm glad it worked out for Cherokee !!!

The above post is correct regarding the cherokee teams. They will be permitted to play on saturday at carpenters middle. The games will be at 3, and 4:15.

In the championship games tonight, sweetwater boys and girls both won their games to become champions. I have to hand it to sweetwater, they handled themselves in a very professional manner. Congratulations.

So what is the girls' Sectional schedule for Pigeon Forge, especially tomorrow (Saturday)? We were informed the tournament starts tomorrow, and we're scheduled to play the Area 4 runner-up/Lafollette winner on Monday at 5:00 (Vance Middle School) from Area 1. Just wondering....

Edited by 33viking

In addition, we play the winner of the game between Area 2's second place team (who is???) and Lafollette. Any 'scouting report' on either team? We've played against teams that run-n-gun and teams that prefer slow, half-court, so it'd be nice to get an idea of what to expect from these two teams.

Edited by 33viking