HIGH SCHOOL FORMAT?

NWTennSports

A couple of questions for all who follow Middle School and Junior High athletics in Tennessee:

1.) Do you think there will one day be classifications and TMSAA-sanctioned state playoffs/tournaments for middle schools and junior highs?

2.) Do you think that would be a good idea?

Personally, I like the idea. I'm not too sure about the classification part of that, unless the state did what it did when it first classified high schools (Large and Small classes), but I think the idea of giving those programs a more level playing field and an ultimate postseason goal would be good. We already have all these local, area and regional tournaments and these unsanctioned (or, at least, unofficial) state tournaments. Might as well do it up right with a big gold football or basketball with TMSAA on it as the big prize.

Just something to think about.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, before I start getting all the hate-posts from athletes and parents who have been on a TNT state champs or whatever, let me say this: All those people should be proud of their accomplishments. Winning a state title or a bowl game of any kind is a great deed. They should be proud, and city officials should be honored to put up signs at the city limits.

Just wanted to clear that up. :P

I have always wondered why the TSSAA doesn't set up something for it's middle school branch (TMSSA) so that all middle schools could play toward one ultimate goal. It would provide a mass amount of revenues to the TSSAA (more schools, more players, more parents, more money), and we all know how much the TSSAA loves their money. The classification part would be hard but I'm sure something could be worked out.

Sounds like a great idea to me. It's amazing how big and bad we think our

kids teams are sometimes and then we play someone from another area

and see how far we have to go. But that is the only way to gauge our programs

is to play against the best tallent in the state. Guess if we keep talking $$$$

the TSSAA will pick up on this!

Sounds like a great idea to me.  It's amazing how big and bad we think our

kids teams are sometimes and then we play someone from another area

and see how far we have to go. But that is the only way to gauge our programs

is to play against the best tallent in the state.  Guess if we keep talking $$$$

the TSSAA will pick up on this!

825544137[/snapback]

I talked to bernard childress at the head ofice this year about this same question. He said about 3 years ago they sent a questionaire to the principals of all tennessee middle schools, and over 70 percent were not in favor of it. Until the principals support it, it will never happen.

I talked to bernard childress at the head ofice this year about this same question.  He said about 3 years ago they sent a questionaire to the principals of all tennessee middle schools, and over 70 percent were not in favor of it.  Until the principals support it, it will never happen.

825544319[/snapback]

I believe it is time to send out another questionaire, and this time, how about sending it to the coaches, rather than the principals.

I believe it is time to send out another questionaire, and this time, how about sending it to the coaches, rather than the principals.

825544407[/snapback]

Unfortunately, the principals make the decisions for their schools.

I think it is a great idea in theory. The only problem I can see is that there is a bigger disparity from middle school to middle school than from high school to high school. Plus, there are a lot more middle schools out there than high schools. I don't think that it would ever have an 80% participation rate from Tennessee middle schools.

It is the belief of the TMSAA state committee that students should have to wait till high school to enjoy a state tournament. There are several reasons, cost of travel is one. Middle schools do not have the budgets high schools have.

A little known fact is that TSSAA (TMSAA) does not make one cent from ANY middle school tournaments. Schools taking part split every dollar made, so there would be no reason for TSSAA to support this for a $ reason. As was said eariler, principals do not want this. Maybe some day this will change but not anytime soon.

All great points. ... I didn't know about the survey a few years ago. .... I figure that TSSAA would start making big money if it started sanctioning state-like postseason events for TMSAA members. .... Yeah, the talent gaps from middle school to middle school would be a problem to be addressed, which is where classification would come in.

Glad to see that people have opinions on this.

As a coach, I know the girls would like to advance further and play for a state championship. As a teacher, I feel they'd miss too much school. The pressure we are under to get standardized scores at such a high level is tremendous. Plus I personally feel the state championships should be reserved for high school. We start doing all these things way too early.

Also, many middle school athletes play several sports. Half my team also play softball (and most of the others run track), so that would rob the spring sports of many players should a state championship be held. And where does it stop? Football state championship running into basketball? Basketball into baseball and softball (and even track)? I know the high schools struggle with this, and forcing younger athletes to pick one sport over another is not fair to them. They should be able to enjoy as many as possible before possibly having to settle on one to concentrate on in high school.

The point was also made that middle schools don't have the budget that high schools do. This is true at our school. As is, if we make it to the tourney in Pigeon Forge, we either have to travel down and back each day we play (about 5-6 hours total round-trip on a school bus), or parents must foot the bill for hotel rooms. Some of our families just cannot afford this.

Just several other points to ponder before considering a state championship in middle school...the principals just might be right this time.... :)B)

I am very much in support of a middle school state tournament. I think the players need a goal to work toward. It could be set up to where very little if any school was missed. It could also be set up to where it did not interfere with high school tournaments or spring sports. To me, the week gap between season and area and between area and sectional is not necessary. We are wasting two weeks the way I see it. With planning, the difference in ability levels could be addressed by having various classes like high school does now. Not to mention, sports are not an area of life where everyone one is able to compete every year. This is why we describe sports with the word competive. People that expect their sports program to excel EVERY year need to wake up! Back to my original point, the athletes need a goal to work toward. They also need to be rewarded for their hard work throughout the season. About the principals, if it is the same everywhere else as it is at my school, the principal does well to know what season it is much less what is best for the athletes.