TMSAA East (Small School) Sectional...

TheAnswer9

Well then, Huntsville will definitely have a player to build around. I think she has some excellent shooting ability. Oneida's boys have some excellent young players and they should round out into a pretty nice club by mid-season. They will go through some growing pains, but could contend again if all the pieces fit. If Fairview has anyone back from their starting five they should shake some records up because they were all good players. Don't really know where Robbins will sit because they always manage to find some workers, and you can always use some of them.

thumb Kaz thumb

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I went back and reread BobbyB's post, and the NCAA Tournament has merit because the teams that are seeded in that tournament are placed according to information from regular season and conference tournament success. The reason why there is so little arguement about seeding in that tournament is because a committee reviews information concerning the teams successes throughout the season to determine what teams have merited a stronger seeding in a particular bracket. Last year the two strongest teams were on opposite sides of the bracket, so there was nothing wrong with the current format. This year, the two strongest teams, based on overall record/conference tournament play, should have been split to opposite sides of the bracket. If you have three teams with comparative success, then the bracket should remain the same so as not to intentionally give one team or another an advantage. And just so you don't think I'm saying throw some other team to the wolves(OS), it would have been most appropriate for Oneida to again face Wartburg for the right to play OS. In a lot of ways, its somewhat unfair for a great team like Oliver Springs to have to play such a tough semi-final just to reach the championship game. Last year they were pushed hard in the semi's, and it may have factored into their championship performance.

thumb Food for thought, Kaz thumb

I think Coalfield girls are going to be one of the top teams in the district next year maybe even make a strong run in sectional tourney. I think they lose #40 in the post but Scarboro was a 7th grader and the point guard is a 6th grader and most of the rest of the team was 6th and 7th graders. I think their point guard was one of the best 6th graders I seen this year. They played Wartburg tough in the county tourney. Wartburg's JV didn't lose a game this year. They tied with OS the second time they played after overtime. If somebody steps up this year to be a good leader, they will do well. It will be hard to replace Armes. They need a little confidence in themselves and someone to lead which should sort itself out over the summer.

Kaz, I think that would have been the best format also. Wartburg and Oneida should've played for the chance to play OS in the championship but its not Wartburg fault that it didn't work out that way. I'm sure Wartburg would've loved another shot at Oneida and who knows would've happened? Wartburg did what they had to do to finish 2nd. They went 3-1 in the tournament and played OS as tough as anyone. They played in from a 2 seed and Oneida was a 1 seed so they did have to earn there way to get to Pigeon Forge. I mean if you want to talk about seeding in tournaments, lets talk about the district. I think it's some junk that they don't have to play a county tourney to decide their district seed like everyone else. If everyone was judged based on regular season stuff, Tennessee might still have Jerry Green, lol...Like I said before there does need to be a better system for deciding things in the TMSAA. Example, having a Area II meeting on the day on the Morgan County tournament championship games and telling everyone that nothing would be voted on during this meeting and then voting to move the district tournament from Wartburg to PJ for next year. This is a place that they decided they didn't even want to have the county tourney this year because of gym size.

Edited by BobbyBoucher

Example, having a Area II meeting on the day on the Morgan County tournament championship games and telling everyone that nothing would be voted on during this meeting and then voting to move the district tournament from Wartburg to PJ for next year. This is a place that they decided they didn't even want to have the county tourney this year because of gym size.

825579526[/snapback]

I know about that meeting and the district tournament was not taken from Wartburg and moved to PJ. The site is determined by drawing a name out of a hat. The group decided to rotate each year by picking a north division team one year and picking a south division team the next. Since the north had it this year, south teams were being drawn. PJ just happened to be picked. However, they said another facility would probably be used.

BobbyB, I'm sure Coalfield should be determined to be the top team in the area based on what they have returning. I also think your TMSAA seeding should be determined by what you do in the conference regular season because why else would you play the games. Petros girls when from #2 to #4 in the TMSAA because they fared poorly for two nights as opposed to how they did over the course of the season. In my opinion, the course of the regular season should mean something because all the teams don't get to play in the Morgan and Scott Co Tournaments. My two cents!

thumb Kaz thumb

My understanding is that the district tournament was decided or voted, I'm not sure which, to be at Wartburg last year and then changed up at that meeting. I really like the Scott Co. location. Is that where they are having it every year for the North?

Kaz, I know that Oneida is considered to be not in the county because it's a city school system but it's still not right for the other teams to have to earn their spot through the tourney. Where you get seeded in the county is what your conference record gets you. Yes, Oneida deserved to be the #1 seed this year but they could have gotten upset like PJ this year. Didn't Huntsville split with them? Why else play a county tourney? It should count for something also. I would think if Oneida just ask, I sure they could get included in the county tourney, but I could be wrong and there could be more to that than I know.

As far as all of this Oneida and Wartburg stuff goes....it all boils down to one thing. Nobody could beat O.S. Whether in the Semis or the finals both schools got a shot at them, and neither team could handle the lady cats. So I don't understand what all this complaining about one team benefiting from seedings is all about. All it really meant was that Wartburg had to travel all the way to Caton's Chapel one more night......to play one of the best middle school b-ball teams I've ever seen. Congrats to the Lady Dogs for an excellent season, Coach D.....you the man! However, OS was just incredible this year!

BobbyB,

Oneida would never be given the chance to be in the Scott Co. Tourney. Heck Fairview, Burchfield, and Huntsville voted to move Oneida to the Large School Division this past summer at the area meeting. They complained about Oneida being to large of a school with only 99 8th graders, but they wanted Oneida to go play in the same division as Jefferson, Lafollette, and the other schools that were much larger than Oneida. The Coaches and Principals at Huntsville and Burchfield seemed to forget that two years ago when they did not have a gym to use that we at Oneida let them use our gym for games and practices. Our coaches even went up on a Sunday to let Huntsville practice on the nite before Oneida was to play them in the District tourney. We have always tried to do what we could to help our County Schools and the Principal at Oneida has told the Oneida coaches that they were to always support the county schools in any vote if needed, even after the STAB IN BACK this past summer.

So I don't believe you will be seeing Oneida in the GLORIOUS SCOTT CO TOURNEY any time soon.

To my understanding, all the teams in the North Division are seeded according to their regular season record. Huntsville and Fairview (girls) tied for second and split their regular season match-up, so they let the county tournament decide their seeding instead of a coin toss. Pretty good idea, since no one wants to let a little piece of metal (coin) decide their fate. :lol:

thumb Kaz thumb

Before everyone gets into it over being sent up to the large school or not, I believe there is a problem with how the small and large divisions are set up right now. Right now, it goes by your area, and that is all. Like right now, Oneida is somewhat large compared to most of their area teams (except Wartburg, there is not much of a difference there). However, if you look at other small school areas, many of the small schools are much larger than Oneida. I'm pretty sure schools like Eagleton and maybe even Holston (I'm not for sure on Holston) are larger than Oneida, yet they never have to deal with the issue of moving up. I think there should be some way that the enrollment number should be based upon the same number across the state, or at least the same number across the sectional schools.

One option people have come up with is having 3 divisions instead of 2.

i was just reading through and saw your discussion and i agree that 3 divisions would be more fair to everyone...holston has 130 eighth graders which may look large to some but is very small in area 1...of the 18 participating schools in area 1 only six are considered small division...of the 12 large division schools, seven have an eighth grade population of over 250 and four of those are over 350 so you can see the large gap between the schools...just like some may say it is not fair for a school with 50 8th graders to have to play against holston, the same would hold true for holston playing in the large division against schools with 250-400 8th graders....the same argument holds true in high school sports, our three county schools in sullivan county are barely over the tssaa magic AAA number of 950 students, all three will be in the smallest 15 schools who have to compete in AAA next year, it is not fair for them to have to try and compete with schools in the state that are pushing 2000 students, no matter the level or the cutoff number, someone is at a disadvantage...i wish the state would add another division or two to high school sports other than football