Getting the big "T"

dukevol

I wasn't going to share this as to not incriminate myself against the refs responsible. But, I do think you will find it interesting. Let me say that we have all moved on and I have no hard feelings because the situation has helped me grow as a coach.

In the same game I got T'd for yelling at my own player; honoring the seat belt rule and never getting up, the official came up to me and said coach your walking on thin ice. I replied "maybe I'll call through" He said "ok I'll help you" and tossed me.

It cost me 2 games and a $250 fine. Again I never cussed and no one in the gym heard what I said but the ref that tossed me.

What do you guys think about that? thumb

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some great posts.....

here are some of my thoughts on this matter:

1. In our area most of the officials have been calling for a few years. It has become harder for them to maintain themselves in the correct position. Most call 2 or more games per night and by the time the last one rolls along are getting a little tired. Many of them call like it seems they are just wanting to get the game over. We all know as we get tired little things seem to bother us more. Some have been around so long they think the game resolves around them and not the kids.

2. The new officials coming in seem to be ones that have never played the game and don't understand it. The money has gotten pretty good so that is the main reason for calling. Most officials used to call for the love of the game itself. Now it seems to be how much money can be made. With this in mind they do not realize what is taking place in the game itself, big games emotions run high, spirits are high and more things are done and said. Common sense must be used in some circumstances and the rules must be interputed as such. Rules are made to make the game fair and just for all. If the event does not effect the game itself common sense should take over. But if you don't understand this, have never experienced this it would be hard to do.

Remember, we are talking about a select few. We have many good officials that do a great job, and they are.....doesn't it seem like the best officiated games you have you can't remember the refs being there.....they have just blended into the game...

I do appreciate this type of official or the one that tells me if I'm getting out of line. Tell me, if I continue, then "T" me, I deserve it. And after all thats all we are looking for, getting what we deserve.

I've got a few good ones for you. #1, a few years back our school got beat on a foul at the end of the game(7 seconds left). It was a block call against our girl, but they counted the basket and it didn't even go in. We lost when the girl made the foul shot to go ahead by one. Our school checked it out with the local assigning officer and found that it was a "correctable error" and found out what the proper procedure was to have this corrected. Two games later, in an overtime game, our team had the ball and was called for a player control foul (charge). The officials gave the opposing team a one and one freethrow attempt. Our coach is trying to get the officials to listen. They make the first, missed the second, got the tip-in, and then the official turned and T'd our coach up. They made both shots, hit a three one the following possession and led by 8 points fifteen seconds into overtime. The officials blew the foul shooting situation, and then compounded the mistake by giving our coach a T when he was doing just what the assigning officer said to do. Sad. A second one I saw at another game was just as bad. This one official, who I have seen often, likes to make the 'Big Call', blew this one. A player made a baseline cut and the defender nailed him with a forearm as he went through. The player fell out of bounds. This referee gave the kid a Technical foul for 'flopping'. I was sitting on the bottom row, on the baseline and saw it with my own two eyes. That kid got nailed. I don't even particularly care for that high school but couldn't help but feel for the kid.

Edited by 4THELUVOFTHEGAME

Cookeville found a way to rack up the technicals the other night...coach got ejected...I saw the first one he got...after his team had fouled for the 8th time compared to Lebanons 0...he crumpled up a piece of paper and threw it down and got a technical for it...he also asked if he could get one call but that was the end of that...

As Siegel says......Im blind, im deaf, i want to be a ref...so there must only be 2 requirements haha

825583956[/snapback]

I have had two T this year. This is my first year to coach high school level basketball (woman coaching boys hs team). First one he would not tell myself or athletic director why. Second one for saying oh my gosh to my player for getting his fourth foul in the third quarter. I was saying it to my player because he did foul. By the way it was the same ref.

I think that refs forget that they aren't supposed to make themselves part of the game or the outcome...simply call clear fouls....especially late in the game....and don't blow your whistle as soon you as you hear a word out of a coach which is what alot of them do now days. I have seen very few games this year where the refs have called it even both ways or have called it consistently a whole game.....thats all coaches and fans want because when that doesn't happen.....its a natural thought to think this guy doesn't want our team to win.