800 question?

anti-todd

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
I think you've got to take that 800m conversion to 1600 with a grain of salt.  We've had plenty of sub 1:54 800m runners, e.i. Chuilli, who couldnt go 4:11.  McGrath ran 1:48 but went 4:05.  Then you've got Bumbi who ran 4:06 last year but only ran 1:54.  It completely depends on the runner.  Matt Hudson ran 1:55 last year and was like 4:37 for 1600 in a meet.

Daniels (and most other's) conversion assume that the runner is of equal ability at both distances, which is simply not the case of most runners. I dont have the chart in front of me but I assume that 8:49 is better than 1:54 in the case of Bumbalough. Chuili and Bach are other good examples of the conversion not working out both were sub 1:55 with sub 50.xx speed but both were unable to run 4:11 (though in chuili's case I think that he ran 4:13 for yards in mobile?)

Chuili's time proved Daniel's table. It converts equally. But, you are right. The table assumes equitable strengths which aren't always even depending on placing in the cycle. The table helps illuminate weaknesses, if you can call them that in a case like Bumbi, that can be worked on.

Not my guide, but Daniels', and it works out pretty closely in most cases.

By the by, Daniel's table says 1:54 equates to a 4:13 mile or 4:11 1600, I think pretty close to what he ran at state last year. His 8:49 two mile, according to the chart, equates to a 4:07, probably what he would have run fresh. All that for what it's worth.