Region 2 Tournament AAA

DCCATVOICE

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yoweeeee, here comes the big ones. Any of these teams could make it out of the Region winners. Everybody has got to bring their "A" game or go home. Congrats to Powell on the big District (and first one for them I might add) win. Howver, everybody starts with a clean slate at the Region, forget past wins and prepare for the future. Good luck to all! thumb

Congrats to Powell on the big District (and first one for them I might add) win. Howver, everybody starts with a clean slate at the Region, forget past wins and prepare for the future. Good luck to all! thumb

825588036[/snapback]

Not entirely accurate. It was Powell's first district boys title since becoming a AAA school in the mid 90s. Powell had won district titles as a AA school.

i LOVE the predictions redupset, as much as i would love to see that happen and as much as i want it to happen and as much confidence as i have in it happening i dont think i would be that optimistic about clinton if i made predictions. I would just hope Clinton can beat Maryville. Good luck to all in the region and good luck especially to the Dragons.

Here are my predictions for the first round games. I have been dwelling on these for awhile this weekend. I think that every game should be pretty close. There could be some classics in the first round. The teams that overcome the early jitters the quickest will be in good shape. This will be the first time that some of these teams have faced a "win or done" game this year. It affects different teams in different ways.

Bearden vs. Clinton -- I am very curious as to the status of Dixon, whose ankle injury appeared to be fairly serious the other night. If he plays and plays well, I think that Clinton should win. Without him, things will be tougher. In my opinion, Clinton probably should have won the other night and they had Oak Ridge on the ropes for awhile. It seems like Clinton cannot sustain their momentum sometimes because they start taking "happy" shots. Whitt is especially guilty of this. No one can question his talent, but his judgment sometimes is not the best. If Clinton will be physical and go inside against Bearden, they should have success. Bearden's strength lies in their perimeter game. Having watched them play twice this year, I can state for a fact that you have to know where Dickenson and Sibley are at all times. Also, those two are a threat to shoot the second that the they cross half court. They can both shoot the ball from 26-27 feet. Bearden is very well coached and very disciplined. They will not give Clinton the game. Marc, if you don't get a chance to look at tape of those guys, you should know that Dickenson and Sibley cut harder in their half court sets than any two guards in the area. Their effort is outstanding. Tony White is also a very fine player and watching him go at it with a healthy Dixon would be great. If Clinton does its job on the glass and limits their turnovers, I look for them to pull the "upset" over the top-seeded Bulldogs. Bearden will lose sooner or later to a team that takes advantage of interior size matchups. Clinton by 8, but only 2 if Dixon is out completely.

Halls vs. Maryville -- This game to me, will probably be the most competitive game. I think that the winner of this one will advance to the Championship game. Maryville has a TON of wins this year. They appear to play very smart fundamental basketball. Brewer has blossomed into quite a talent. They do not have great size, but they are a strong team. Halls took a big step in the district tournament. If Halls is still sulking about Friday night, they will lose. I don't think that will happen. Look for Sharpe, Borum and Lucas to play well. Halls' interior guys better be ready to rumble. May, Cantrell, Varner and Buchanan all need to hit the glass harder than they did against Powell. Halls by 3.

Oak Ridge vs Farragut -- This will be another good one. From a match up standpoint, this could be the most even game. Bosse and Huckens vs. Mulholland will be fun to watch. I give the back court advantage to Oak Ridge because Domsic is starting to play really well. He was no where to be found in the Halls game, and then he is hitting daggers in the Clinton game. He should continue to be assertive. It is like he is so busy trying to demonstrate his ability to be a great point guard, that he forgets that his team actually needs him to score. Younkin is in a slump, but I expect that to end tomorrow. I think Oak Ridge has one too many horses for Farragut. Oak Ridge by 10.

Powell vs. Heritage -- I know that Heritage has had some quality wins this year, but, I have yet to see them on a night when they played well. If they want to beat Powell, they will probably need a great game from Snoderly and Bruce. Powell's guards have improved since the last time, and I doubt that Heritage can expect a bunch of turnovers from Powell. I expect Heritage to play zone and pack it in. If they do that, Powell will need Hargis, Addis and Connor to make outside shots. Even if they do pack it in, I still say that Smith and Ward get 15 a piece if they play with intensity. Powell by 15.

Edited by mocs30

Powell vs. Heritage -- I know that Heritage has had some quality wins this year, but, I have yet to see them on a night when they played well. If they want to beat Powell, they will probably need a great game from Snoderly and Bruce. Powell's guards have improved since the last time, and I doubt that Heritage can expect a bunch of turnovers from Powell. I expect Heritage to play zone and pack it in. If they do that, Powell will need Hargis, Addis and Connor to make outside shots. Even if they do pack it in, I still say that Smith and Ward get 15 a piece if they play with intensity. Powell by 15.

825589713[/snapback]

Mocs, Maryville killed Heritage the other night but more importantly Snoderly didn't play because he was at a church function. They don't know his status for the Powell game. The coach might have to dress him but I don't know if he will play.