Region 2 Tournament AAA

DCCATVOICE

Seems to me that all the teams in District 3 all performed well but Halls. Halls made Maryville look good alot of the times. Lack of defense no heart or desire.  After the first 4 min Halls gave up. So to you,(JBrock3320) they are the best team because. you guys gave up on each other

825596147[/snapback]

I agree. I also heard though that Halls had a sick point guard. That did not help. Do any Rebel fans know thestatus of Saxe? How important has he been to the ball club this year? I sure would hate for him to be out with such a freak injury.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched all the games and I believe Powell is the team to beat. Then CLinton.

Maryville will have a hard time with Clinton becasue of their press. Maryville showed some flaws that way by making some really bad passes. Clinton strives off of turnovers. Clinton might be too quick and i don't think #44 for Maryville will make it to the bucket as much as he didi against Halls. But i could be wrong.

Halls- great season. Best of luck to you all next year, should make a push for the district championship again.

Powell -OR: Round 3. Hard to beat a team three times. Big shot last night Domsic.

I watched all the games and I believe Powell is the team to beat. Then CLinton.

Maryville will have a hard time with Clinton becasue of their press. Maryville showed some flaws that way by making some really bad passes. Clinton strives off of turnovers. Clinton might be too quick and i don't think #44 for Maryville will make it to the bucket as much as he didi against Halls. But i could be wrong.

Halls- great season. Best of luck to you all next year, should make a push for the district championship again.

Powell -OR: Round 3. Hard to beat a team three times. Big shot last night Domsic.

825596286[/snapback]

We should have two incredible games tomorrow night and I have no idea how they will turn out, but here are some thoughts about both games.

Maryville vs. Clinton -- This game could really go either way. I think the most important factor in the game is the fact that Clinton is playing at home. If that game yesterday had been played anywhere else, I think Bearden would have held on. Clinton is always tough, but in their place, they are very tough. What can you say about a team that was down 15 after one quarter but had the heart to fight back and win even when their stud fouled out with three minutes to go!!!

As far as matchups go, I would state that Clinton will certainly have the advatage in the backcourt. I do not think Maryville can stay in front of Dye, although #14 is very quick for the rebels. Whitt will give Maryville problems as well. For Clinton to win, they will need to win the battle of the backcourts by a wide margin. Maryville should own the post. I was very impressed with #55 and #33. They really killed Halls on the glass and they both scored well around the basket. Sorry, Rebel fans for not knowing all the names. Obviously, stopping Brewer will be key for Clinton as he is a dynamic, slashing type scorer. An unknown factor at this point is the severity of Saxe's injury and how much of a role he actually plays for Maryville. They looked good without him, but they also got off to a very fast start and probably did not need him.

Bottom line, if the game is decided by four or less, you have to think that Maryville will get it done. They have yet to lose a game that close this year. Also, if Maryville gets a big lead, don't expect Clinton come back the way they did against Bearden. The Bulldogs could not stop Clinton from getting layups, Maryville can and will. But, I think that with Saxe hurting and Clinton playing at home, they will come out with fire and slowly take control of the game in the third and fourth quarter and win by 5-10. Having said that, if the Rebels win convincingly I would not be shocked. I'm still picking Clinton.

Oak Ridge vs. Powell -- This game is hard for me to analyze because I am so emotionally attached to Powell's team. I have seen a team grow and improve and take criticism and use it positively. Furthermore, I have seen a group come together and play for each other. Simply stated, I love this team and I am so proud of them that I can't hardly stand it. Most people who know me are probably bored crapless about hearing about the Panthers.

Now, for Powell to win tomorrow night, they will need to control the glass first and foremost. We have more size than Oak Ridge, but they probably are a tad bit more athletic at the 3 and 4 positions. Limiting Oak Ridge to few second chances will be crucial and easier said than done.

The most intriguing match up will be Grant Domsic and Matt Hargis at the point. I doubt that Hargis will draw the assignment of guarding Domsic, but I would guess that which ever one has a better game will be a winner. Domsic is just a really good ball player. His face never changes. The only time that bothers me is that it appears that he does not care when his team is behind. Perhaps, if that is the case, it is because he has the quiet confidence to know that he can bring them back. His play in the fourth quarter last night speaks for itself. Hargis, on the other hand, has developed into quite a floor leader. He is very quick and is becoming much better with the ball. If he plays well, Powell is tough to beat. If Hargis draws Younkin, it will be critical that he not allow Younkin to get hot from the outside.

Having said all of that, I believe in my gut that Powell will win the game.

Edited by mocs30

#14 is Antonio Byner

#55 is Gary Tucker

#33 is Curtis Tate

Those 3 young men have done a great job for Maryville this year. Trey Brewer is one heck of a player. Maryville plays well as a team. I think Rodney Nelson has done a very good job this year. Probably one of his best coaching jobs. The last 2 games Maryville has played very well. Their ball movement has been great. I hope they can keep this up.

Do any Rebel fans know thestatus of Saxe? How important has he been to the ball club this year? I sure would hate for him to be out with such a freak injury.

825596210[/snapback]

Saxe is very important to the program. I'd call him our number two guy right behind Trey Brewer. He's a consistent scorer, and, deceptively, he's probably the best pound for pound shot blocker that I've ever seen. Should he be unable to return, we'll miss his size more than anything as the Rebels are not a small team.

Luckily, we didn't miss him last night.

I haven't gotten an update on his status today. As of last night he was planning to get an Xray done today, and he told me that it was hurting him pretty badly. I'm praying that it's just a deep bruise.

School gets out in about 20 minutes...I'll try to give him a call after that time and then report his status back to the board.

Clinton might be too quick and i don't think #44 for Maryville will make it to the bucket as much as he didi against Halls. But i could be wrong.

I'll just throw this out there....

#44 is Trey Brewer, and NO ONE has stopped him on his way to the basket yet this year. It's really amazing to me how he finds his way to the rim and finishes on those drives SO consistently...but he does. He might not get there as much as he did against Halls, but I've seen him go to the bucket much more often than that on a regular basis. I'll be surprised if he gets stopped.

That's good news on Sax.

Rebels could win the region except they got a history of not getting in done in the tourney.

They've beat Powell already, and back when they weren't playin so well too.

They've beat Oak Ridge too.

Not sure I've seen Clinton play, but if they barely beat Bearden in their own house and with one of the bulldogs out, then Maryville should be able to take them too.

Should be a tough game between Clinton and Maryville tomorrow or Thurs. or whenever they play. The Clinton-Bearden game was a great one. Clinton battled a 17 point deficit and the refs most of the 2nd half and came up w/ a huge defensive stop at the end of regulation and Dye took over in overtime. Isn't #10 for Bearden B.J. Ware and why was he not playing and when the game was on the line why did Beardens coach put on his jersey?

825595223[/snapback]

I don't know this to be absolutely true, but B.J. has missed school the last couple of days and is believed to have Mono. Coach put his number on to give the boys something to play for. And let me say that I, for one, was moved by it. I understand as a team-sport athlete what playing with something on your heart can do amaazing things for you.

B.J. would have been the difference maker on Tuesday.

The most intriguing match up will be Grant Domsic and Matt Hargis at the point. I doubt that Hargis will draw the assignment of guarding Domsic, but I would guess that which ever one has a better game will be a winner. Domsic is just a really good ball player. His face never changes. The only time that bothers me is that it appears that he does not care when his team is behind. Perhaps, if that is the case, it is because he has the quiet confidence to know that he can bring them back. His play in the fourth quarter last night speaks for itself. Hargis, on the other hand, has developed into quite a floor leader. He is very quick and is becoming much better with the ball. If he plays well, Powell is tough to beat. If Hargis draws Younkin, it will be critical that he not allow Younkin to get hot from the outside.

Grant does have ice in his vains. He is a generally laid-back guy, but he is a REAL competitor. He rarely lets his emotions get to him, and if they do, you'll know about it.

Clinton/Bearden-Tony White is a player! And you all talk about a player with ice in his veins you gotta say Jonathon Dye. I mean the kid sat through a freakin fire drill before he shot his free throws then drained them both.

Halls/Maryville-Maryville was clearly the better team last night. They moved and cut like crazy and we did not move with them or beat them to the spot. Brewer is a player and #20 can shoot the lights out of it. #55 and #33 really impresses me too. Good posts moves and strong down low. Halls didn't show any hustle, heart, or defense all night. Also Cameron did have strep.

Oak Ridge/Farragut-This was one of the best high school games I have ever seen in my life. Now thats not all that many games but it was great. I feel sorry for the one who left with 5 seconds to go because thats when it was just getting good. Domsic played a heck of a game.

Powell/Heritage-Pretty much what everyone expected. Especially after 2 kids getting kicked off for missing practice on Sunday. If you hold a team to 9 points in the first half, your usually going to win.

Good Luck to all the District 3AAA teams. thumb