Elizabethton vs Unicoi

coaches_corner

Unicoi played very well tonight beating South Greene by double digits, while the Cyclones ousted Chuckey Doak 66-45 behind Baughman's 30 point outburst. This sets up a great semifinal matchup on Unicoi's home court wednesday night. The third meeting of these two teams this year. Can the cyclones complete the sweep of Unicoi or will the Devils prevail on their home court? After seeing Unicoi come out with fire in their eyes tonight, I rate this game a toss-up.

To be the best you have to beat the best. It starts with Unicoi. I'll also say the winner of this game has a chance to beat Pigeon Forge. They are very good, but not unbeatable.

825592921[/snapback]

Not unbeatable, but very determined. :)

We're still taking one game at a time...we have to beat Claiborne on Wednesday before we can start talking about Thursday's game.

I was very impressed with Unicoi tonight. They didn't appear to be the same team I've read about on these message boards. Just goes to show...anything can happen in tournaments.

To be the best you have to beat the best. It starts with Unicoi. I'll also say the winner of this game has a chance to beat Pigeon Forge. They are very good, but not unbeatable.

825592921[/snapback]

Well the Tigers are trying to stay focused on each game as they come. I can tell you this, after the spanking Elizabethton gave Pigeon Forge last year in the semi-finals they are not thinking anything except they are the top team of the tournament. Yes Pigeon Forge has improved this year, but so has Elizabethton.

IF (and that's a BIG IF) both teams advance to the finals and they both stay out of foul trouble and play both at their best, it would be the best game all year.

Unicoi and Elizabethton tonight is for bragging rights for the seniors. Unicoi dominated the cyclones early in these girls' careers. Who can forget the 02-03 season where these teams met four times with Unicoi winning close games each time, the last two in the District One and Region One finals held at Elizabethton. Last year the cyclones began to catch up, losing a double OT game at home, getting hammered at Unicoi, but then beating the Devils in the District finals on a neutral court. South Greene last year spoiled the chance for them to meet a fourth time in the Regional finals. This year the cyclones have held the upper hand, winning fairly comfortably at home and winning a close battle at Unicoi. Now comes the game that counts most, the Regional semi-final with a sub-state berth on the line. Seniors Redd and Baughman vs the Unicoi's Sparks and Weaver and Kerns and Lingerfelt for the last time. Perhaps EHS can match UCHS's feat of 02-03 and beat the devils in the regional on their home court. Perhaps not. One thing is for sure, both teams will leave it all on the court. I know both teams will play outstanding defense. I know both teams will rebound well. I think it comes down to two things. Who takes care of the ball better and who shoots the ball better. Pretty simple eh? And the winner will give the Lady Tigers all they want thursday! Gooooo Lady Cyclones!!!!

Betsy held off a very determinded Unicoi squad. Defense was the key and holding down Sparks was big. She had been red hot shooting the ball in the regionals. Weaver played her usual game.... hitting the boards and knocking down 14pts. Great effort by both, but glad to see our Lady Cyclones come thru. They were not to be denied. Unicoi did an excellant defensive job also, holding Baughman to, I think, 11 or 12 pts., but Redd picked up some scoring slack, despite a few uncalled for turnovers. Baughman did a fantastic job on the boards. Crapps had her usual game and Hopson is always dangerous on defense and passing on offense. Petrowski seemed to stay upset most of the night and she needs to get a handle on her emotions. Realizing that it is a team game and not centered around her might help her understand her role more. She's a dandy but tends to take herself out of the game at times.

Overall, good job by both teams. You hate to see either one of them have to pack it in.

Two class programs. It would be nice to see some of these ladies play a little college ball together. Never know???

Edited by GLee

Coaches_Corner,

Are you the head coach for Elizabethton? I'm trying to remember everyone. I know we met several CoachT members from that area last year, but I can't remember who is who. I've met Doug Fritz in some of the AAU tournaments and I thought he had something to do with the Cyclone program as well. I see that he is the sports writer for the Johnson City Press.

It's always nice to be able to meet those we chat with on here. We've even inspired Sports Guy (from Cumberland Gap/Claiborne area) to become a Tiger! :lol: At least for the remainder of this season. Who knows, maybe we'll meet krich tonight and get him to support us next week.

LTM: Im just a fan like you. Trust me,

Im no coach thats for sure! I dont think coach Wilson even reads this board, much less post on it. Our JV coach was coachh17, but he left us for greener pastures in Nashville a couple weeks ago. Coach Wilson's wife has joined him on the bench. She was JV coach prior to coachh17. The three little Wilsons are why she got out of coaching!

Fritz isnt coaching for EHS this year, but does do some pretty good scouting!!

His daughter is a freshman on the team.

By the way, our Twisters Tournament is April 1-3. I know your daughter graduates but pass the word to your coaches/parents. We'd love to have some teams from your area back up here for it. The info is posted on the AAU coach T website.

I'll pass the word on. I think our 4th annual Pigeon Forge Play Day will be the 2nd weekend in April. You can get the details at http://www.orgsites.com/tn/ladyblaze or email Freda Meade at [email protected]. We would have came to your tournament last year, but I think it was the same weekend as our AAU Substate.

Stop by and introduce yourself tonight if you get a chance. It's not too hard to miss us...Bri usually sits with us before and after the game. Or just ask a tiger fan to point us out.

Sports Guy...you're going to be there tonight aren't you?