Elizabethton vs Pigeon Forge

coaches_corner

Lady Tigers Mom:

We had the same crew as last night against Unicoi. The officiating was inconsistent and spotty, on both sides. It did not determine the game, however. We actually had more fouls than PF, despite playing from the lead all night long. It was the end of the third quarter or start of the fourth before PF had their first foul of the second half called. You were in the bonus much earlier than us in both halves. But the officiating was spotty. Sometimes they would call nothing, then others they call hand checks or touch fouls. Walkng calls were missed on both sides, then called when there was no walk. Play underneath was allowed on both ends. Your post players missed too many open looks. but in fairness to us, our shot- blockers probably had your post players a little skiddish. I think we blocked at least 8 shots, and by three different defenders. I dont recall your team having hardly any blocks. You have a very good team and are capable of beating the Roadrunners. Good luck. Maybe we get another round next week???

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get to see all of your game last night so I don't know how two of these guys did, but the shortest balding guy was one of our refs...and he didn't do any better last night. I wouldn't say it made much difference in the game either simply because our post players were not making their shots. And I don't think the problem was the refs calling more on one team than another. The problem was what they weren't calling. The Cyclones were very aggressive and they did foul on some of those "blocked" shots. I guess the one that really got to me was when Bri knocked the ball loose from Redd and as she went for the ball, Redd held her jersey and pushed her back. Bri did push her off, but Redd actually fouled first. Then the ref called the foul on Bri. Not that it would have made any difference at that point, but the inconsistency was tough for our girls.

We have played other games with inconsistent refs and some who were just plain awful, and have still won some of those games. So, I know we didn't lose just because of the officiating. We just didn't play our game tonight. I don't know what the final foul count was, but I believe the final for the 2nd half was PF - 13 and Elizabethton 10.

Now that's more like it; let's talk about the officiating. Hey, we already know who won the game; I want the DIRT! :lol:

For what it's worth, corner, and I WASN'T AT ThE GAME, but a mutual friend of ours, who has called games for nearly thirty years, said that the Lady Cyclones got away with a few down-right muggings. Comment please.

Pay no mind to me, LTM; I'm so disgusted with the way my Darling Lady Rangers played, or actually the way they stayed in the dressing room for the second half tonight, that anything beats thinking about our game. :blink:

Good luck to both teams Saturday Night!

Edited by krichunaka

You are correct LTM on the play between Redd and Garrison. Val should have been called with the foul, and I think we expected it, so it was a surprise when the call went the other way. Although actually it should have been a double foul. It was a similar play to the one where Pietrowski got the double foul after being hammered on a rebound late and then got called for clearing the ball, which in the refs eyes was swinging an elbow. Your daughter played very well tonight both offensively and defensively. The difference in the game was our post game was much superior to yours on this night. Again, good luck saturday. Have your girl and her teammates keep their focus. They are down but not out!!!

And Krich, I still say total fouls favored PF. I will check on that tommorrow. It was a very physical game, and especially underneath, the refs let them play, which of course played to our strength. Our post players were just more aggressive than PF.

Edited by coaches_corner

You are correct  LTM on the play between Redd and Garrison.  Val should have been called with the foul, and I think we expected it, so it was a surprise when the call went the other way.  Although actually it should have been a double foul.  It was a similar play to the one where Pietrowski got the double foul after being hammered on a rebound late and then got called for clearing the ball, which in the refs eyes was swinging an elbow.  Your daughter played very well tonight both offensively and defensively.  The difference in the game was our post game was much superior to yours on this night.  Again, good luck saturday.  Have your girl and her teammates keep their focus.  They are down but not out!!!

And Krich, I still say total fouls favored PF.  I will check on that tommorrow.  It was a very physical game, and especially underneath, the refs let them play, which of course played to our strength.  Our post players were just more aggressive than PF.

825600882[/snapback]

The total foul count might have favored PF in the first half and you're right, it was a very physical game and the refs let them play...but do you think PF was that aggressive? I thought our guards played well defensively, but not aggressive to the point they were fouling. Most of our fouls were touchy hand checks. Maybe if our post players had been more aggressive and tried to block shots, it would have been a different ballgame. It seemed like every time we rebounded the ball, instead of calling the appropriate foul, they called a jump ball. Even if it was one of those "over the back" kind of jump balls. :rolleyes:

By the way, how did the boys game end? It looked like the refs weren't doing much better in that game.

Well I will give my 2 cents. I don't have dog in the race, but just wanted to see a good game and I did. Great fan support and a wonderful gym.

1. EHS owned the paint, offense and defense. #23 is the best power foward I have seen all year, maybe the best in the state.

2. PF owned the guard area. Offense and defense. #22 one of the best defensive players around and a good shooter too. #4 leads the team good.

3. Very physical game.

4. PF's post played real weak tonight #42 weak real weak.

5. Officials were bad, but hey aren't they always :rolleyes:

6. The only call I thought was a back breaker for PF was when PF's 22 stole the ball and the point guard for EHS #45 (I think) was clearly fouling the player not going for the ball. If anything don't call a foul on PF, That one call makes me wonder how on earth this crew called a Regional Final.

7. EHS did get the better end of the calls tonight. in the 2nd half or whole game for that matter, EHS played more physical and that is the price for that style of play.

8. ALL in ALL the best game of the season so far.

Way to go Cyclones, Tigers keep your head up your still not out of it yet.

Well I will give my 2 cents. I don't have dog in the race, but just wanted to see a good game and I did. Great fan support and a wonderful gym.

1. EHS owned the paint, offense and defense. #23 is the best power foward I have seen all year, maybe the best in the state.

2. PF owned the guard area. Offense and defense. #22 one of the best defensive players around and a good shooter too. #4 leads the team good.

3. Very physical game.

4. PF's post played real weak tonight #42 weak real weak.

5. Officials were bad, but hey aren't they always :rolleyes:

6. The only call I thought was a back breaker for PF was when PF's 22 stole the ball and the point guard for EHS #45 (I think) was clearly fouling the player not going for the ball. If anything don't call a foul on PF, That one call makes me wonder how on earth this crew called a Regional Final.

7. EHS did get the better end of the calls tonight. in the 2nd half or whole game for that matter, EHS played more physical and that is the price for that style of play.

8. ALL in ALL the best game of the season so far.

Way to go Cyclones,  Tigers keep your head up your still not out of it yet.

825600951[/snapback]

Well said!

whopitup,

Now that was a Great Post.

and corner, I stated, pretty emphatically I thought, that I was NOT at the game. And I don't care about total team fouls; so don't bother. If a key player fouls out, or sits a majority of a game because of two or three quick ones, then the "total" is irrelevant.

In Unaka's only other loss, they went down at the whistles of some very bad officiating. In that game the "total fouls" were very lopsided. Four fouled out, two more with four. No contest. But that was the exception. Totals are more an individual thing. Rikki, with four in the first quarter, now that's a number we can all lose sleep over; whereas, EHS with ten in the first quarter, with say, three of them called against subs, then, not a big deal.

It's like in football, when the broadcasters say, "the penalties usually even themselves out." So what? If the "critical calls," calls that often decide a game, or calls like the one discussed concerning #45 go against one team, then the "totals" are essentially meaningless.

Now try to Not forget, my money (and livlihood) was (were) on the Cyclones to win; but I think it's worth making the point. But don't I always?

Edited by krichunaka

whopitup,

Now that was a Great Post.

and corner, I stated, pretty emphatically I thought, that I was NOT at the game.  And I don't care about total team fouls; so don't bother.  If a key player fouls out, or sits a majority of a game because of two or three quick ones, then the "total" is irrevelant. 

In Unaka's only other loss, they went down at the whistles  of some very bad officiating.  In that game the "total fouls" were very lopsided.  Four fouled out, two more with four.  No contest.  But that was the exception.  Totals are more an individual thing.  Rikki, with four in the first quarter, now that's a number we can all lose sleep over; whereas, EHS with ten in the first quarter, with say, three of them called against subs, then, not a big deal.

It's like in football, when the broadcasters say, "the penalties usually even themselves out."  So what?  If the "critical calls," calls that often decide a game, or calls like the one discussed concerning #45 go against one team, then the "totals" are essentially meaningless. 

Now try to Not forget, my money (and livlihood) was (were) on the Cyclones to win; but I think it's worth making the point.  But don't I always?

825600981[/snapback]

Nothing that hasn't been said all year. You can play real aggressive defense if you aren't going to get whistled. Any shot Eliz. attempts inside they are fouled on regardless. But on other end its always a clean block. They get a jump ball call when they are standing behind player with both arms wrapped around them.

But they are a good team. A good team uses the breaks they get to their advantage. Like the Unicoi County game. What they had to do. Control the posts and let Slinger miss her 15-20 shots like she always does. Same as 15 turnovers. They scout a team well. Knew Unicoi County plays better than UC did. But of course its the same 3 plays they've run for 25 years. All they had to do is take a step and pick off the weak point passes.

Good Luck Lady Cyclones! You've worked hard and it shows.

I agree with everything you said; however, you have to admit, the officiating was horrible.  Not taking anything away from the Cyclones...they played great and even if the officiating had been better, they still might have won.  Our post players could not score against yours.  I thought our guards played better though.  Bri and Kendra each had 3 treys and I think 13 & 14 points each.  Bri had several steals, even though one cost her a foul  :o after Redd held her back and tangled with her a bit.  We actually had one of those refs last night and I think most will agree he is awful!  I can't believe these guys were officiating a Regional Championship game!  :rolleyes:

Enough of my complaining though...Lady Cyclones played great and won.  Baughman was much deserving of MVP and is one of the best players I've seen play.  Good luck against OS!  Looks like PF will have their hands full...AE has been doing really well lately.

825600781[/snapback]

I don't think the refs did too well on either end of the floor. ;)

I didn't get to see all of your game last night so I don't know how two of these guys did, but the shortest balding guy was one of our refs...and he didn't do any better last night. I wouldn't say it made much difference in the game either simply because our post players were not making their shots. And I don't think the problem was the refs calling more on one team than another. The problem was what they weren't calling. The Cyclones were very aggressive and they did foul on some of those "blocked" shots. I guess the one that really got to me was when Bri knocked the ball loose from Redd and as she went for the ball, Redd held her jersey and pushed her back. Bri did push her off, but Redd actually fouled first. Then the ref called the foul on Bri. Not that it would have made any difference at that point, but the inconsistency was tough for our girls.

We have played other games with inconsistent refs and some who were just plain awful, and have still won some of those games. So, I know we didn't lose just because of the officiating. We just didn't play our game tonight. I don't know what the final foul count was, but I believe the final for the 2nd half was PF - 13 and Elizabethton 10.

825600842[/snapback]

[/quote

Mom, that one call that got you, got me too. There should have been a foul called way before the ball was knocked loose. The officiating DID NOT decide the game. We were not happy with the officials either, but it was called similar on both ends of the court.

Good luck against AE.