Elizabethton vs Pigeon Forge

coaches_corner

Bottom line is, Betsy won with defense which they have done all year. I do think we saw the two best teams this side of Knoxville last night no matter what excuses other teams may have (and I'm sure I'll hear it on this one from you know who). Good game by both teams. Don't know anything about the teams on the other side of PF, so I'll not comment on them. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad that both these teams made it to the finals.  They are both very deserving of it (undefeated in their district.)  There could have been an upset this week, but the better team prevailed in both brackets.  I think all of us in Region 1 would like to see these teams go to the 'Boro next week.  They don't even consider us a threat out west.  :rolleyes:

By the way, I know OS's gym is not big enough to host a sub-state, what about AE? Where would OS host the game?  If PF wins, we can't even host the sub-state at home because our gym is too small.  What a shame! ;)

825599120[/snapback]

AUSTIN-EAST CAN SEAT 2700.SEE YA ALL SAT NIGHT

Bottom line is, Betsy won with defense which they have done all year. I do think we saw the two best teams this side of Knoxville last night no matter what excuses other teams may have (and I'm sure I'll hear it on this one from you know who). Good game by both teams. Don't know anything about the teams on the other side of PF, so I'll not comment on them. We'll just have to wait and see.

825601084[/snapback]

You're right GLee these two are the best teams this side of Knoxville right now. Ive seen all of them play and theres no question that these are the best.

Did you, and you too Krich, ever stop to think that maybe our kids know how to play to what the particular refs are or are not calling???  Isnt that what they are coached to do?  Sure it was physical inside last night and it was obvious from the get-go that the refs were going to let them play.  So if you were the coach what would you want.....  Easy, for your kids to play as aggressive as the refs will allow.  Doing just that is what our girls did.    PFs posts did not.  End of story.  PFs outstanding guards kept them within shouting distance of EHS, and they did play aggressive, and neither got into foul trouble.

825601093[/snapback]

That is about the best game summary I've read so far. If the player and coach cannot read how the refs are calling the game, it can affect the outcome tremendously. Especially when you are playing with officials from a different area. The refs were not calling fouls on PF that were anymore bogus than some they called on EHS. Our problem was (other than not playing strong in the paint) that the aggressive fouls were not being called against EHS. Bottom line...these officials were not good enough to call a Regional Championship game. They called bad both ways last night. Unfortunately, our girls did not capitalize on it in the way EHS did.

FYI...better be scouting those refs well on Saturday and hopefully next week. I've seen (and heard of) more T's called on players by Middle Tennessee refs in one game than we see in one season in the East. Bri got a technical (I think first ever) at Livingston for hitting the floor...while she was laying on it...due to frustration. I didn't think it was deserving, but she has learned her lesson in any event.

Austin East is a tough place to play. Be ready, I'd like to see both Pigeon Forge and Elizabethton make it to state! Hey, who knows, you might end up playing again!

PF be focused Sat. Austin East is a different would ( wonderful environment ) but nothing you're used to. Just be focused and play your game. I have no doubt that you're more than capable of surpassing the roadrunners!!!

Elizabethton: All I have to say is, don't you have something to settle from last year? :rolleyes: Take care of business!!!

BTW...thanks for all the compliments to our guards. I thought they played exceptionally well and gave it 100% to the last buzzer. I know it was heart-breaking to lose that game, but we are still on new ground. First time to play in Sub-State....and I'm PROUD of our girls!

What colleges are the EHS seniors considering? Just curious to know if we'll be seeing them any next year. Brianna & Kendra are both signing with Virginia Intermont.

Just a bump in the road Lady Tigers. Keep your heads up, you can still get to state. Just keep doing what got you here to the sub-state game. Sub-state games can be won on the road. Remember two years ago when Seymour had to go to Unicoi Co. and nobody thought they could possibly beat them in their own gym, well they were wrong. It can be done. Good Luck Sat. night.

LTM:

I bet your coach is doing a little scouting today herself. I betcha she gets a tape of the Roadrunner-Bobcat game from last night. Somthing tells me that she and Todd Wright will compare notes and trade tapes from last evening.

I understand the refs we had were from the Knoxville association. That wont work for the substate so I wouldnt be surprised to see ones from the Chattanooga area.

Good luck Lady Tigers.

CC:

I don't know about trading tapes with OS Coach...I really don't even know if the coaches know each other. But I would imagine Coach Moore (Seymour), who is a friend to our team/coach, would share one of his games against AE with Coach Johnson.

At least we don't have as far to drive on Saturday night, but sounds like AE's home court can be intimidating. Our girls are also determined to win this one.

Good luck to the Lady Cyclones as well.

Hey CC...did you happen to stick around for the boy's game? I read in the paper there was a fight in the stands and the boy's message board has talked about it. That's terrible...but I kinda figured someone would get in a fight or ejected from that game. Wild & crazy fans! :)

Edited by LadyTigersMom

Nighmare:

You've cried all year about the refs. First its our gym. Then its our kinfolk. Then we do it in your gym. In regular season. In district. Then in Regional with refs nobody has seen all year. Did you, and you too Krich, ever stop to think that maybe our kids know how to play to what the particular refs are or are not calling??? Isnt that what they are coached to do? Sure it was physical inside last night and it was obvious from the get-go that the refs were going to let them play. So if you were the coach what would you want..... Easy, for your kids to play as aggressive as the refs will allow. Doing just that is what our girls did. PFs posts did not. End of story. PFs outstanding guards kept them within shouting distance of EHS, and they did play aggressive, and neither got into foul trouble.

corner,

One more time, Read My Lips: I wasn't at the game; I'm not a Pigeon Forge fan. I don't know what happened; was just having a little light-hearted fun with LTM.

Furthermore, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. And yes I have stopped to think about a lot of things, including the fact that your kids are a Great basketball team, which, I think I've stated several times, and especially recently. I might have even written a few columns stating such.

I was told by a referee that the point guard was mugged. If she was, then it was a terrible call. And if she was, then no, there should Not have been a Double Foul. At any rate, it sounds like the best, and/or the "smartest" team won the game.

And Dave, don't include me in any more of your sarcastic lectures to Nightmare.

Hey Lady Tigers Mom:

A little birdie told me that your coach gave Todd Wright a tape of our game with PF. My guess is Wright (OS coach) gave her a tape of his game against Austin East. The coaches met at the Sevierville exit off I40 this morning!! Im serious, ask her about it! Ask Bri if they watched any Roadrunner tape today! Im told that Wright then drove to Greene County to get another tape of the Cyclones!!

There's nothing wrong with this, in fact, it shows what good, dedicated coaches these programs have.

This was a great game by both teams. Elizabethton did what they had to do to win. They blocked more shots and shot a better percentage from the field. Elizabethton is a great team and if they get a few breaks and play well enough they should be well on their way to the Buro. Elizabethton was out rebounded by the Lady Tigers so they will need to improve in that catagory in order to make it much further and I'm sure their coach will probably address this issue. The Lady Tigers also had fewer turnovers, so the Cyclones will need to cut those down as well but I'm sure they will. Pigeon Forge is also a great team, they had a very tough shooting night, thanks in some part to the blocking ability of Elizabethton, don't get me wrong, some of the blocks Besty had were fouls, but more than half were not. They looked timmed (sp?) when taking it to the hole and in the paint, and this allows for a bad shooting performance. When you out rebound, have fewer turnovers, and more steals than a team you should be able to win, just have to get the field goal percentage up. Credit goes out to Elizabethton though because they took advantage of the poor shooting, and capatalized and made some huge plays. Good Luck to both teams in your substate games, play hard and leave it all on the floor.

Also, about the play with Garrison and Redd...To say this one play wouldnt have made a huge difference in the game is crazy. If i am not mistaken, and correct me if I am, if Redd would have been called for the foul instead of Garrison (which would have been the correct call, admitted by PF and Besty fans both) it would have been Redds 5th foul which would have been huge and it would have sent Garrison to the line for a one-and-one and the opportunity to cut the lead down to 4, that would have been big, but again you must take care of business early so that you dont have to count on calls like that in the end. But yes, that play could have been one of the many plays both ways that would have changed the game. Again good luck to both teams tomorrow night. Take care of business.