Geez--what's it gonna take to get a shot clock!?

TraderB

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember humboldy pulled the ball out against halls last year because strayhorn did such a good job forcing humboldt to foul that they were trying to milk the clock to avoid some of there players fouling out.dyre county it as well by milking the clock in order to decrease the amount of positions the other team had wih a lead.if the team that is handling the ball handles it well,then,some people shouldnt complain if the team does a good job taking care of the ball.if they were so unathletic or not able to take care of the ball with good skills,then,the better defensive more athletic team could easily still the ball and create easy baskets off of turnovers.i think its just a good strategy when you need to use it.sometimes it can be the best strategy to use if the other team only plays zone and want come out of it when they dont have much dept in a close game with the team in foul troublei remember seeing a girls game one yer where halls beat bradford girls 22-21 the year halls went 28-1.it can be used to make sense at good times and bad time.i saw middleton pull the ball out too early aganst halls in the substate game last year andgot them out of there rhythm and gave halls a chance to get back in the game.it really depends on the situation and who can use the strategy to there advantage in the smartest way.

Stall-ball stinks, but its part of the game. As Unaka. They perfected it in the state tournament last year.

Did Rusty Chambers really get that shot off against FRA? I didn't think so.

825598566[/snapback]

First off, Rusty Chambers didn't even take that shot. It was Tyler McCann. And second, the ball was going through the net when the buzzer sounded. thumb

Wooddale uses the stall ball technique very well. Wooddale is capable to run and gun wit the best of them but their coach uses it in situations so he can control it. If u remember when Wooddal played us(White Station) in the district semi's they ran and didnt stall. Coach Johnson probably felt that his team had a better chance of winnig if his team played that way. They prolly woulda won if Mason didnt make such a great play at the end of overtime. I dont like them holding the ball but its all about wins in march, wheter the score is 2-0 or 125-123 a win is a win. Just didnt work out for Wooddale last nite.

I think it's poor sportsmanship to hold the ball like that. It violates the spirit of the game and it's not what the fans paid money to see. I know I get a bit embarassed when a team I am rooting for starts doing it, and it's just disheartening to see another team do it. There's a reason all other forms of basketball use a shot clock, it keeps the game tight and gives the team that is down at least a chance.

A lot of baseball players used steroids before they were banned, and steroids was a part of the game, and those players were MVPs, but that doesn't make it right.

There's nothing in the rules about John Chaney sending in a player to purposely play rough against opposing players, but that doesn't make it right.

There are a lot of things that go in sports that are contrary to the spirit of the game. I don't think there's any way you can convince me that purposely NOT playing basketball in a basketball game is in any way a part of the game.

I contend the use of steroids is a definite strategy to increase your strength and the longevity of your career. And at one time it was not illegal, so you can't say they were breaking any rules when they did it.

Is it the same exact situation? No. But when your desire to win overshadows your love of the game, things like this happen. At least steroid usage created a more exciting baseball league, stall ball doesn't even do that.

And I think I should first clarify that I define stall ball as using two or three players to keep the ball in the backcourt, passing it off every few seconds without even considering moving in towards the basket. Slowing the game down to a halfcourt offense is one thing, stall ball is completely different.

I don't really even care if there is the actual shotclock, but at least the referees should be given a rule to enforce that would preclude any stallball for an extended period of time.

I think it's poor sportsmanship to hold the ball like that. It violates the spirit of the game and it's not what the fans paid money to see. I know I get a bit embarassed when a team I am rooting for starts doing it, and it's just disheartening to see another team do it. There's a reason all other forms of basketball use a shot clock, it keeps the game tight and gives the team that is down at least a chance.

A lot of baseball players used steroids before they were banned, and steroids was a part of the game, and those players were MVPs, but that doesn't make it right.

There's nothing in the rules about John Chaney sending in a player to purposely play rough against opposing players, but that doesn't make it right.

There are a lot of things that go in sports that are contrary to the spirit of the game. I don't think there's any way you can convince me that purposely NOT playing basketball in a basketball game is in any way a part of the game.

825599992[/snapback]

Ridiculous. Comparing stalling to steroid use and goons ... not even close.

As long as high school coaches think that slowing down the game gives their team the best chance to win, I don't ever want to see a working shot clock in a high school gym. And don't tell me your views reflect your love for the game. I love basketball in all forms ... not just run and gun.

If one team slows it down and the other one wants to speed the game, tell them to go out and pressure the ball and force a turnover or a faster tempo.

Edited by kentuckian