David Lipscomb vs CSAS

GoBama

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely have the score wrong on this site ....

David Lipscomb 69 CSAS 58

Scoring by quarters ...

CSAS 15 16 8 19 58

David Lipscomb 15 18 12 24 69

Wow. What a great game. Wes Mayes started off the game for the Mustangs by scoring their first 7 points. At the end of the first quarter, it was all tied up 15-15 thanks to a made basket + the foul for DL. Lipscomb then grabbed a 2 point lead going into half time 33-31. CSAS pretty much played zone the entire game, and DL got so many lay-ups and fouls off it. DL guards (Solomon did an excellent job of this) would penetrate, and if CSAS defenders would come out at them down low, they'd dish it off. If CSAS defenders stayed at home, it was a simple jumper. David Lipscomb did a great job of exploited the weakness of the zone. CSAS forced their fair share of turnovers, but too many times they had handling problems and gave the ball up right after stealing it. David Lipscomb outscored CSAS in every quarter after the first. Lipscomb's free throw shooting killed CSAS in the 4th quarter, where DL hit about 14 or 15 of them.

The Lipscomb student section was the best it's been all year. They had almost everyone in the section standing and cheering the entire game. Home court was definitely huge in this win.

Stats for the game:

David Lipscomb:

Wes Mayes - 19 points, 8 rebounds - heck of a game

Josh Slater - 17 points, 5 rebounds

Zach Pharr - 11 points, 4 rebounds

David Solomon - 9 points

Jason Brock - 7 points, 7 rebounds

Andrew James - 3 points

Rob Mallernee - 3 points

CSAS :

Rodney Marsh (heard his name a lot tonight) - 24 points

Powell - 16 points

McCull - 9 points

Watson - 6 points

Cable - 3 points

Mustangs played great tonight and hopefully can carry it on to the first round of state ...

GO MUSTANGS

Edited by GoBama

More then likely, CSAS was hot the whole game.  Im gonna guess Cable & Marsh came out bombin 3's.  Can anyone that was at the game verify that?

825608492[/snapback]

More like Marsh was ON FIRE and Cable was ... pretty silent. 2 points the 2nd quarter and 1 the 4th. Marsh killed the Mustangs though. There was nothing really they could do cause he would just pick up his dribble and drain fadeaways. He hit 3 fadeaway threes the 4th quarter.

Congratulations to Coach Pickens and David Lipscomb. Two 8-AA teams making it to the state tournament is very impressive and shows just how competitive this district was. With Lipscomb and MLK playing that tougher schedule night in and night out help put them both in the state.

In my opinion the key to Lipscomb's success the latter part of the season has been the outstanding play of sophomore Josh Slater. He plays with the confidence of a senior. He is a pure shooter and handles the ball as well as any guard they have. Josh has a very bright future.

Good luck to David Lipscomb and MLK in Murfreesboro. Your 8-AA rivals will be pulling for you. An all 8-AA state championship would be nice.

Edited by COACHHARD

First and Foremost I want to say congratulations to David Lipscomb you played a great game and are well deserving of your trip to Murfreesboro, youguys harder than any team I have ever seen and shot lights out in the second half that's hard to beat. My one complaint (which is not an excuse just an observation) how in the world does a team play full court man-to-man defense and come away with only eight team fouls the whole game, that one just has me baffled, towards the end of the game all I could think about was the post I saw on here yesterday about visiting teams not getting calls in the substate. Once again, great game Lipscomb just wanted to everyone's thought on the officiating

Lipscomb is so fundamentally sound that they do not reach when the play defense.  Coach Pickens is top twitch, oops, I mean notch.  Good job, P and the boys.  Good luck in the boro.

825609516[/snapback]

You are right they played great defense but I am sorry everyone that was not at the game who I tol that stat to asked me how that ws possible o play full court man-to-man the whole game and only pick up eight team fouls that is almost impossible to do

icecold, let me premise this by saying that I am a Lipscomb supporter (my son graduated last year), so my comments may seem biased toward them.

I agree with you that more fouls could have been called on Lipscomb. However, more fouls could have been called on CSAS. I felt the refs did a good job. They seemed pretty consistent in what they allowed/called.

I have followed Lipscomb basketball for about 8 years. They are taught this system early on. Fundamentals are drilled into them. Over the years, they consistently have fewer fouls called than their opponents. This is the same year in, year out with different players, against all styles of opponents and with many different referees.

I thought CSAS played a good game. The fact that Lipscomb shot the ball very well through all 4 quarters was the diffence. CSAS struggled with shots dropping in the second half, until #1 sank those 3's late. Wow, what a player.

Question, are there other players who normally contributed who didn't have a good game last night? Did they just not match up well, or just an off night?

icecold, let me premise this by saying that I am a Lipscomb supporter (my son graduated last year), so my comments may seem biased toward them.

I agree with you that more fouls could have been called on Lipscomb.  However, more fouls could have been called on CSAS.  I felt the refs did a good job.  They seemed pretty consistent in what they allowed/called.

I have followed Lipscomb basketball for about 8 years.  They are taught this system early on.  Fundamentals are drilled into them.  Over the years, they consistently have fewer fouls called than their opponents.  This is the same year in, year out with different players, against all styles of opponents and with many different referees.

I thought CSAS played a good game.  The fact that Lipscomb shot the ball very well through all 4 quarters was the diffence.  CSAS struggled with shots dropping in the second half, until  #1 sank those 3's late.  Wow, what a player.

Question, are there other players who normally contributed who didn't have a good game last night?  Did they just not match up well, or just an off night?

825609607[/snapback]

I agree Lipscomb is a good team and they are going to cause Austin East some trouble in the state tourney,

Lipscomb got hot thats hard to overcome,

Thomas Cable who hit 9 threes in the regionfinals scored abot 5 points last night Martell Powell who averages about 18 didnt dominate like he usually doesand Donte Mcullogh who usually scores about ten a game got sick in the first half didnt play all that well either