Lady Devil Softball

00FANUC

The lady devils got off to a rocky start Monday by losing their season opener at home to Morristown East, 3-2. The Lady Devils came out looking great by getting three up and down easily. Jessica Mason helped her self out in the 2nd inning by hitting a homerun to give the Devils the early lead. East rallyed back making the score 2-1. The Devils had plenty of chances to win the game but baserunning errors and failure to step up at the plate when it was most needed left lots of runners stranded. The devils had the opportunity to take the game into extra innings but lack of communcation and a missed fly ball in left caused the Hurricanes to score once again breaking the tie and ending the game at 3-2. Erwin didn't stay down long though. They hosted Chuckey Doak Tuesday night and came away with a win. I believe the final score was 9-1. Erwin really looked like a team last night. Leah Love pitched a fabulous game. Lauren Hopson hit a two run shot over the left field fence. I ended up staying and watching the JV play and I was really impressed. They won 14-0 which really isn't saying much but they knew what to do on the bases and in the field. They have a great pitching staff, powerful bats and lots of speed. I also hear that the upcoming freshman next year are really good as well so I don't think the talent in erwin is ever going to die. Next years team will be young but very talented if they can just play as a team....Erwin will play away tomorrow at South Greene and then travel to Hendersonville to play in the Comando Classic. Grady Lingerfelt has defintely set up the toughest schedule for his girls this year so they are bound to be ready to bring it when regionals roll around again.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offense is finally coming together for the Lady Devils. Unicoi County's team has played together for years, and they're an incredibly talented group of young ladies. I have all the confidence in the world that they will be able to put hits together and earn the runs. Despite the rocky start, Unicoi County will BE the team to beat in the Watauga conference, once again.

Be sure to keep this thread updated. There are some of us who can't make it to the games but want to know how the girls are doing....I won't be able to make it to many games because, well, I'm going to be otherwise detained.

Glad to hear the tradition seems to be continuing. I look for you ladies to keep it up. Remember who you play for, remember what that "Devil" means on your jersey, and leave EVERYTHING YOU HAVE out on that field...if not for yourselves, then for those come and gone.

I believe in you ladies. My heart is with you each time you break it down and hit the field, before every home game in the fieldhouse (you know what I'm talking about), my heart is ALWAYS with you devils.

QUOTE(hard_ball1 @ Mar 14 2007 - 08:16 PM) 826412095[/snapback]Be sure to keep this thread updated. There are some of us who can't make it to the games but want to know how the girls are doing....I won't be able to make it to many games because, well, I'm going to be otherwise detained.

Glad to hear the tradition seems to be continuing. I look for you ladies to keep it up. Remember who you play for, remember what that "Devil" means on your jersey, and leave EVERYTHING YOU HAVE out on that field...if not for yourselves, then for those come and gone.

I believe in you ladies. My heart is with you each time you break it down and hit the field, before every home game in the fieldhouse (you know what I'm talking about), my heart is ALWAYS with you devils.

Hard_ball1> Sure do miss you at the field,in the field house and on the field. You are greatly missed but still loved. We will try to keep you updated on all the good news. Hope all is well with you and your season. and by the way just to let you know, You are still right in the middle of us breaking it down. Your number still stands on the LADY DEVIL DIAMOND. just remember "I am a LADY DEVIL" haha you know who this is! love ya keep in touch*

... just remember _____ happens! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Unicoi County played Mt. Juliet for their first game and lost I’m not sure what the score was though. They play Stone Memorial for their 2nd game and really showed what they had and won 6-2. Riverdale was their third game and they lost 6-0. They then played Munford in the first round of the tournament and lost 7-5. They umpire made a horrible call causing the tying run to score. Munford then came back to score two more runs but I really think Erwin had a big chance of winning. They had to put a 3rd string catcher in after Lauren Hopson hurt her back Friday and Whitley Hensley broke her hand hitting. They really played well all around; they just faced really hard teams. The only things I have to complain about are the unfriendly parents and rude teams. When Whitley got hit in the hand Riverdale parents were making rude comments and calling her a "Cry baby" That is the 3rd time she has broke her hand and she still keep hitting. Some of the other team's girls were very rude and unfriendly but other than that it was a good tournament and a fabulous experience for the girls.

Seems to me that the Lady Devils are having problems playing as a team. When the do play as a team however the are almost impossibla to beat. You don't feel the chemistry of the team like you did last year and all the years before. If the Seniors don't step it up and be better leaders I really don't think the Lady Devils will make it very far at all and I really hate seeing this but its true. I aslo hear that some of the team is having diffcultly getting along with some of the other seniors. You can't have bickering on a team if you plan on winning. The Lady Devils will travel to Chuckey Doak tonight.. Good Luck Ladies.

Devils won over Chuckey Doak Last night 19-3 in five. Ali Gardner had her 2nd homerun last night and Chelsea Stephenson had a grand slam. Whitley Hensley's hand isn't broke just badly bruised and she played left field and caught a few innings. The ladies will play Happy Valley at home today. Good luck Ladies.

Keep in mind, three years ago the Devils were beaten in the conference for the first time in ten years by Happy Valley. That same year they went to the state tournament.

Anything can happen if you believe.

And being a senior does not automatically qualify a person to be a "leader." Leadership does not come with age; it comes with passion, determination, and responsibility. I have personally been a member of a team without any seniors, only 3 juniors...and the leader on that team was a sophomore. It's about who decides to step up. If a senior doesn't want to, maybe it's time an underclassman did.

Did the Devils play today? Is there a game Thursday? Time/Place?

And...has the schedule for this weekend been decided? I want to try to make it over to catch a game or two if I can get away from the stupid races quickly enough.

QUOTE(hard_ball1 @ Mar 20 2007 - 07:20 PM) 826418815[/snapback]Keep in mind, three years ago the Devils were beaten in the conference for the first time in ten years by Happy Valley. That same year they went to the state tournament.

Anything can happen if you believe.

And being a senior does not automatically qualify a person to be a "leader." Leadership does not come with age; it comes with passion, determination, and responsibility. I have personally been a member of a team without any seniors, only 3 juniors...and the leader on that team was a sophomore. It's about who decides to step up. If a senior doesn't want to, maybe it's time an underclassman did.

Did the Devils play today? Is there a game Thursday? Time/Place?

And...has the schedule for this weekend been decided? I want to try to make it over to catch a game or two if I can get away from the stupid races quickly enough.

The Devils played at home tonight against Happy Valley and won 2-0. Thursdays game is at West Greene.

Friday, March 23@UCHS field

4:00-Sullivan South/TN. High

5:30-Cherokee/Unicoi

7:00-Sullivan South/Cherokee

8:30-TN High/Unicoi

Friday, March 23@Kiwanis Park

4:00-Elizabethton/Volunteer

5:30-Morristown East/Happy Valley

7:00-Elizabethton/Morristown East

8:30-Volunteer/Happy Valley

Saturday, March 24@UCHS field

9:00-Sullivan South/Unicoi

10:30-TN High/Cherokee

Saturday, March 24@Kiwanis Park

9:00-Elizabethton/Happy Valley

10:30-Volunteer/Morristown East

Tournament Play starts at 1:00

Championship game at 7:30

QUOTE(00FANUC @ Mar 20 2007 - 09:13 PM) 826418845[/snapback]The Devils played at home tonight against Happy Valley and won 2-0. Thursdays game is at West Greene.

Friday, March 23@UCHS field

4:00-Sullivan South/TN. High

5:30-Cherokee/Unicoi

7:00-Sullivan South/Cherokee

8:30-TN High/Unicoi

Friday, March 23@Kiwanis Park

4:00-Elizabethton/Volunteer

5:30-Morristown East/Happy Valley

7:00-Elizabethton/Morristown East

8:30-Volunteer/Happy Valley

Saturday, March 24@UCHS field

9:00-Sullivan South/Unicoi

10:30-TN High/Cherokee

Saturday, March 24@Kiwanis Park

9:00-Elizabethton/Happy Valley

10:30-Volunteer/Morristown East

Tournament Play starts at 1:00

Championship game at 7:30

can anyone provide a final score for the two late games on Friday....Volunter/Happy Valley and Tennessee/Unicoi?

QUOTE(statman3 @ Mar 24 2007 - 05:54 AM) 826421447[/snapback]can anyone provide a final score for the two late games on Friday....Volunter/Happy Valley and Tennessee/Unicoi?

I don't know for sure but I did hear that Volunteer dropped out because of the race weekend but i'm not positive. Unicoi won 18-1 I believe