New Tennessee Girls AAU Format

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this team one of hosts for the the AAU qualifing tournaments ?

Yes the Trotters do host one of the qualifying events but that makes sense. He coaches for them AND the Trotters have supported and played in AAU tournaments, sub-state/ state/ Natls, for years. They deserve one of the tournaments. Now how the new director was "crowned" king of TN AAU, that's another question. We have played AAU for many years and we were not involved in the process. Neither was anyone else I talked to locally.

The Flight Select was given the other local qualifier. When they first started they did not even particiapate in AAU tournaments, although they do now and have for some time.

We, Knoxville Panthers, will not be playing AAU anymore. It's clearly about big money now and that's not why we got into youth basketball nor is it why we continue to stay in it. What most teams don't realize is that The BIG clubs and AAU need you, the "mom and pop" organizations with 1, 2, 3... teams, way more than you need them. Don't play in the AAU tournaments and they might change it to something more worthwhile. In fact they won't have anyone to play! If you do play now you're just paying the BIG clubs coach's salaries (like they need more money with their outlandish team fees!).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the Trotters do host one of the qualifying events but that makes sense. He coaches for them AND the Trotters have supported and played in AAU tournaments, sub-state/ state/ Natls, for years. They deserve one of the tournaments. Now how the new director was "crowned" king of TN AAU, that's another question. We have played AAU for many years and we were not involved in the process. Neither was anyone else I talked to locally.

The Flight Select was given the other local qualifier. When they first started they did not even particiapate in AAU tournaments, although they do now and have for some time.

We, Knoxville Panthers, will not be playing AAU anymore. It's clearly about big money now and that's not why we got into youth basketball nor is it why we continue to stay in it. What most teams don't realize is that The BIG clubs and AAU need you, the "mom and pop" organizations with 1, 2, 3... teams, way more than you need them. Don't play in the AAU tournaments and they might change it to something more worthwhile. In fact they won't have anyone to play! If you do play now you're just paying the BIG clubs coach's salaries (like they need more money with their outlandish team fees!).

You are right they need us more than we need them. This is the biggest money grabbing scam I have ever seen in youth athletics!!

If you don't know the whole story let me lay it out for you. If you participate in less than all of the qualifying tournaments you my be punished when it comes to seeding the state tournament. The team that has the highest ranking based on participation and how well they finished in each tournament will get a 1 seed at the state tournament. This is nothing but a way to pressure you into taking your team to as many of these as possible. WHY??? So you can fund their teams that's why!!

The new state director stated that he talked with many organizations before going with this format. All of the teams he told me he spoke with had no idea who he was.

Once again AAU got it wrong. The problem all along has been the money!! Teams are required to register, get cards and pay to compete at sub-state. You are talking about roughly $350-$400 for in many cases 2 games. So their fix. Add the qualifiers for $200 and $350 for the state tournament. So every team no is required to pay a minimum of $700 to play AAU. So the fees have doubled and maybe you get two more games. Sounds like a bargain to me??

It is also funny that all of the big teams got the qualifiers. Well on second thought NO it doesn't. They sure want their piece of this new cash cow. It is not enough that they charge their kids $500-$1000 to be on the team now we are forced to fund them as well.

I say we boycott!!! If you have a good team only play the minimum required 1 qualifier and play the state. I will only play AAU with my national team. All of my other teams will play local playdays and tournaments. There are plenty of well run Playdays and tournaments that I would much rather give my money too!!

We don't have to keep holding our noses as they try to feed us manure, all the while telling us it doesn't smell. We know better.

You are right they need us more than we need them. This is the biggest money grabbing scam I have ever seen in youth athletics!!

If you don't know the whole story let me lay it out for you. If you participate in less than all of the qualifying tournaments you my be punished when it comes to seeding the state tournament. The team that has the highest ranking based on participation and how well they finished in each tournament will get a 1 seed at the state tournament. This is nothing but a way to pressure you into taking your team to as many of these as possible. WHY??? So you can fund their teams that's why!!

The new state director stated that he talked with many organizations before going with this format. All of the teams he told me he spoke with had no idea who he was.

Once again AAU got it wrong. The problem all along has been the money!! Teams are required to register, get cards and pay to compete at sub-state. You are talking about roughly $350-$400 for in many cases 2 games. So their fix. Add the qualifiers for $200 and $350 for the state tournament. So every team no is required to pay a minimum of $700 to play AAU. So the fees have doubled and maybe you get two more games. Sounds like a bargain to me??

It is also funny that all of the big teams got the qualifiers. Well on second thought NO it doesn't. They sure want their piece of this new cash cow. It is not enough that they charge their kids $500-$1000 to be on the team now we are forced to fund them as well.

I say we boycott!!! If you have a good team only play the minimum required 1 qualifier and play the state. I will only play AAU with my national team. All of my other teams will play local playdays and tournaments. There are plenty of well run Playdays and tournaments that I would much rather give my money too!!

We don't have to keep holding our noses as they try to feed us manure, all the while telling us it doesn't smell. We know better.

Great post and breakdown! Better yet do not participate at all and let "them" have an inter-squad scrimmage at state.

• 2 weeks later...

Great post and breakdown! Better yet do not participate at all and let "them" have an inter-squad scrimmage at state.

Sounds like the light bulb has finally come on. This is not about the kids playing the game. This has become about the money and the coaches trying to build a reputation. The more you win, the more you are able to sell the crap that your program is the ticket to a college scholarship. Then the more you can charge. Wow! Sure beats what you make teaching and coaching in most public school systems.

Let me see....if I can get a stud from Georgia, maybe another from Kentucky and a third from N.C. , I can travel around the country kicking some butt. The only thing I will need is to convince 8-10 local families to write a nice size check to fund all of this. Maybe I can convince those naivetes that their kid is really our missing ingredient.