AAU Spring Nationals - refs

truthsquad

Good tournament and overall good officiating but there is one huge exception. The ref with the brown curly hair that always verbalizes (loudly) his near fall count. This guy is a complete joke when it comes to officiating. I don't get why he is allowed to ref matches after the amount of disputes I see him in at tournaments. This guy makes up the rules as he goes. He stops matches for illegal holds that the rule book clearly shows are 100% legal. He is constantly talking to the kids throughout the match saying stuff like "improve, improve, improve; or "watch that, watch that"; or "careful, slow down" With a higher level wrestler they may ignore him, but I have witnessed many wrestlers putting themselves in bad situations because of his urging to "improve." He almost always calls arm bars and power half's as potentially dangerous. I witnessed one match where one wrestler had the other in a cradle and he was urging the top wrestler to "improve." I saw him call stalling on a top wrestler running a 1/2 while the bottom man was balled up almost fetal position. I saw him call a stalling less than 5 seconds into a match on a final OT ride out. He wants to be seen and "in the match" so to speak, so bad that he is costing kids matches and really upsetting many coaches. I know the other refs see it and heard a few actually talking about how bad he was.

And before you say its sour grapes over a loss, it is not. Luckily he did not ref my kids matches and my kid won every match without controversy. This is simply an observation I have made over the past several tournaments where he is a ref. I'm thinking there should be some type of rating system in place to elminate fools like this guy. He really leaves a sour taste.

There is a rating system in place for the Spring Youth Nationals. We had 2 officials who were rating the others. One of the supervising officials is Don Elsea and the other is from PA I believe. All the officials were rated and ranked.

Truth Squad, have you ever approached this official and offered your insight and advice? He may help him become a better official.

Yes I have!!!!! Not only have I had discussions with him regarding his calls but I have witnessed several other coaches doing so as well. This ref is always right, just ask him. He is very arrogant and unprofessional.

I attempted to discuss this referee with Darrell and was told that I should speak with Don Elsea. I already had but nothing has changed.

I applaud you for putting in a rating system, I believe this is a step in the right direction, but I believe you could get more benefit by taking some feedback from coaches. Do an anonymous survey of referees at multiple tournaments and I'm certain you will see a pattern witht this guy. And don't just wait until there is a problem, because as a tournament director I know the benefit of the doubt always goes to the referee and most issues are chalked up to a coach/dad being dissatisfied that his wrestler lost.

Hey Jeff what weight did your son wrestle.

I did not see Colin's name in a bracket.

Good tournament and overall good officiating but there is one huge exception. The ref with the brown curly hair that always verbalizes (loudly) his near fall count. This guy is a complete joke when it comes to officiating. I don't get why he is allowed to ref matches after the amount of disputes I see him in at tournaments. This guy makes up the rules as he goes. He stops matches for illegal holds that the rule book clearly shows are 100% legal. He is constantly talking to the kids throughout the match saying stuff like "improve, improve, improve; or "watch that, watch that"; or "careful, slow down" With a higher level wrestler they may ignore him, but I have witnessed many wrestlers putting themselves in bad situations because of his urging to "improve." He almost always calls arm bars and power half's as potentially dangerous. I witnessed one match where one wrestler had the other in a cradle and he was urging the top wrestler to "improve." I saw him call stalling on a top wrestler running a 1/2 while the bottom man was balled up almost fetal position. I saw him call a stalling less than 5 seconds into a match on a final OT ride out. He wants to be seen and "in the match" so to speak, so bad that he is costing kids matches and really upsetting many coaches. I know the other refs see it and heard a few actually talking about how bad he was.

And before you say its sour grapes over a loss, it is not. Luckily he did not ref my kids matches and my kid won every match without controversy. This is simply an observation I have made over the past several tournaments where he is a ref. I'm thinking there should be some type of rating system in place to elminate fools like this guy. He really leaves a sour taste.