Greenfield's problem

bulldawgs#1

This is just in my opinion and I may be totally off but from what I can see from playing them twice they have 3 basketball players and the rest of the guys just take up space. Blackburn and Shane are both very good and smith is a good pg but who else is there? You almost don't have to guard the other guys on the court. I don't know how everyone else defends Greenfield but what we did was simple. We put our best defender on Blackburn and bump him aggressively on screens and that took his shooting threat away. And for Shane we took the man guarding Galey who never looks to shoot and doubled on Shane unless Galey was right under the goal. The only 2 scoring threats are Blackburn and Shane if you stop them you stop Greenfield. I don't think that they give up or what ever balla777 says they just need guys other than Shane and Blackburn to be threats.

Edited by bulldawgs#1

bulldawg, that is somewhat true. However, I would hesitate to say that the rest of the guys "take up space."

Daniel Blackburn can shoot very well and can knock down an open look. The problem against Milan is that you guys are so athletic, you recover quickly on open perimeter shots, and it is difficult to get an open look.

Brett Reynolds can also score, but will struggle against the type of defenders teams like Milan, Union City, Liberty, etc. can throw at him.

Thomas Galey does not score a lot, particularly against big teams or teams that can jump. This might have something to do with the fact that he is a 5'11", 171 lb. post player. However, Thomas is the great role player that does whatever is needed to win games. He is a hustler, who seems to make some kind of big play in almost every game. He may not score a lot, but most nights, he doesn't have to.

Jeremy Smith can drive and has a great pull up jumper. He'll also sneak inside occasionally for an easy basket. Against Milan, he didn't score a lot (7 points) because of the great defense and leaping ability of the guys guarding him.

Clint did not have a great night shooting against Milan, but still scored 19. Clint has really stepped up his ability to score in other ways than the 3.

Brandon can score with anyone, but you are right, when he is doubled it is more difficult. He ended up with 20 the other night.

Most of the other players aren't really counted on to score. If we can get around 40 to 50 points from Jeremy, Brandon, and Clint, we will win most games. The others will contribute a few points here and there. The thing to remember is that most Single A teams aren't capable of defending us like the better AA teams (Milan, Union City, Westview, Liberty, etc.) are. We have lost only 3 games this year to Single A teams - West Carroll (who is similar to a lot of the AA teams that give us trouble - big and quick), Lake Co., and Dresden.

And I don't really think scoring was the problem against Milan either time. Milan won the first game because you guys got a lot of second and third chances from offensive rebounds, while we typically got one chance to score. And that's to be expected somewhat, we aren't a great rebounding team. The second game especially, came down to one thing - defense. Very few times will a team win when their opponent shoots 71%.

As far as balla saying Greenfield has given up, he obviously does not know the guys on this team, particularly Brandon, Jeremy, Thomas, and Clint. While I do have some minor concerns with the team, their effort is not one of them, nor is their heart. They will be fine, they know what it takes to win.