Upper Cumberland Shootout Playday

Two playday remain, April 2, and April 16. Held in Cookeville, 7th year hosting AAU tournaments. Rates are at $45 per game. 1-4 games possible. Ages are 9-17 & U. Boys and Girls divisions, 4 gyms in one facility at Cookeville Sportsplex. 10% discount for multiple teams or teams that have already attended one or more of our 4 recently held tournaments.

Please e mail request for info at rotaryaire@multipro.com or call Leonard Jolley at 931-432-6342, or cell at 931-510-3074.

Deadline to enter is one week before the Playday. A credit card # will hold your spot to get you into the tourney.

• 2 weeks later...

This is in response to "Bob 22" posting.

It is ironic that you state the officiating is bad. Then if so, why did you hire and use the same referee association (based out of Livingston and Sparta) that we did for your playday???

If the pricing is too high, then why are you even playing in AAU. You pay $250 to go play possibly two games in the AAU substate, plus $12 per player insurance, and an organization fee and not complain. However, you pay us $140 entry fee, get 5 games then complain because your 11 & under team gets beat, by a good team from Livingston. Ironic, isn't it! The referees did not miss the layups, and the referees did not miss the free throws, yet you blame them saying the officiating is terrible. Come on get real!

Now, as for the way the the tournaments are organized, please state a specific issue you do not agree with and I will repost a comment if you so choose. If not, then just give me a call and I will gladly discuss anything you have to "gripe" about. I am sure your coach, Mr. Reeser, has my phone number.

This post is to Mr. Bob 22:

This is the information. The referee association that we used in the tournament that your teams (Celina) played in, is ran by a group from the Upper Cumberland. The persons (Sparta & Livingston) assign referees to each tournament. For your information at least one (G. Con______) or more worked at your tournament with others from the same group. This was told to me by the head of the referee association and that he assigned some referees to the Celina play day, as I asked where this particular person was at that day. This past weekend (April 2), the group of referees hired were from Lenoir City area, as the other association did a tournament in Murfreesboro.

This association of refs do a good job overall. Any one will miss a call now and then, even the best of referees. But this is no reason to bad mouth a tournament, saying the refs are bad. Your team lost twice to a very good 11 yr. old team and the referees did not make a difference in the game. There were different referees on each of the games you played. Perhaps, if there is a next time and you want to pay extra, the association head will put 4 referees on your game.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cookeville Sportsplex April 16th play day had 42 teams entered. We want to thank each of our teams that played in one or more of our 8 tournaments and playdays this 2005 spring AAU season. We averaged near 30 teams each tournament and this was our 7th season promoting AAU basketball through tournaments and sponsoring teams participating in spring basketball.

We try our best to put on quality tournaments, and quality referees, and by using our facility with 4 courts to keep parents from traveling from gym to gym to play games. Again we thank all the coaches and parents as well that participated this 2005 season. Best of luck to the teams in substate and state.

We still have one tournament left this spring, and that is the Boys Substate for YBOA on May 6-7.