Is there a rule a 189 going against Hvy Wts?

MasterBlaster 1

Just wondering? I saw a great match between a 189 and a Hvy weight this week. The Hvy won but the 189 tried to head throw him twice and kept from getting pinned. Thats the good part!

But I talked to the wrestler after words and found out he was giving up 60lbs to the lager wrestler. To me that is is giving up to much weight and could get a kid hurt. I thought there use to be a rule about not being able to wrestle more two weight classes up.

I couldn't find anything on the TSSAA site about the issue. <_<

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any time you are looking for a wrestling rules clarification it is pretty much pointless to look at the TSSAA website unless it involves post-season seeding criteria, state dual representatives, etc. (basically things that are TN specific). If you want to know a rule question you should check the NFHS website. TN pretty much adopts the NFHS rules with no alterations. TN actually tends to be on board with rule changes earlier than mandated (ex. the weight certification system) due to Ronnie Carter's involvement in the NFHS.

You are correct in the rule that a wrestler can't wrestle up more than one weight class. Actually, the GB wrestler you are referring to weighed in at 192 last night, which would put him in the 215 class, allowing him to bump to 275. I will agree with you about the weight difference. Way too much to be giving up. Luckily, no one got hurt!

that 89 usually wrestles 215...and he had to gain a little weight to actually be over 189 so he could wrestle up to heavy...i'm pretty sure you're talking about rambo from greenback

The match wouldn't have changed the outcome so don't get me wrong I'm not complaining. I thought the kid showed a lot of heart but IMO was giving up to much weight(60lbs). He kept from getting pinned and thats all they needed. Thanks for the info on what site to check out for rules.

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

i had to do the same thing last year when i was overweight, we had a 215 but no heavy, when you give up that much weight you just got to wrestle smart

Just hit delete on the double post.

I had to do it in high school but my coach almost got caught and it was brought up in a law suite a few years later. I weighed 135lbs and was wrestling at 160+ in the region.

Won some matches but almost got my neck broke by a Hulk of an MBA wrestler. Pushed me off his chest with one arm when I was trying to pinn him.

Sometimes the coaches are taking to big of a chance with a kids future.

You are correct in the rule that a wrestler can't wrestle up more than one weight class. Actually, the GB wrestler you are referring to weighed in at 192 last night, which would put him in the 215 class, allowing him to bump to 275. I will agree with you about the weight difference. Way too much to be giving up. Luckily, no one got hurt!

I had two really good heavy weights during my coaching career one weighed 202 and wrestled in the unlimited class. At that time the heaviest wrestler in the state was from William Blount and weighed 305. Over their careers these two were about even with my wrestler winning their last match in the region finals (1984). Only problem was that we got upset by a kid from Clarksville in the first round of the state. When the awards were given out, my heavyweight had beaten everyone on the awards stand, just goes to show that you can't overlook anyone. The other good heavy weight weighed 196 and regularly wrestled wrestlers who weighed anywhere from 250-275. Neither of these wrestlers were ever injured as a result of weight difference, which at times was as much as 100 pounds. Weight difference at these weights does not matter as much as strength and agility.

It would appear that the Greenback coach made a good strategic move.

i am pretty sure the rule is that a wrestler can only wrestle one weight class above the one they weighed in at.

That is correct. To wrestle 275, you must make 275 with growth and consecutive-day allowances, and must fail to make 189 with the same allowances. That is a national rule, although some states have adopted variant rules (Montana, for example, still imposes minimums on its two smallest classes, which there are 98 and 105).