Best Short-Stops?

ladybobcat07

i'm not going to buy that...I know how UCLA operates, they dont offer anyone a scholarship in their junior year...colby is probably the best shortstop in tennessee, but she wont be offered a scholarship to ucla..I can see her going to Tennessee, would be a great fit for her....sorry that she tore her knee up playing basketball...has ucla been wanting to talk to her since that happened?..as I said before, recruiting letters, and even phone calls dont make a guaranteed scholarship offer...she may be on their radar screen, just like about 200 other girls, but only about 3-4 will be offered.

Obviously, you don't know how UCLA operates because their asst. coach came ONLY to see Colby. It was not a recruiting letter or phone call, she traveled across the nation to ONLY watch Colby. When the game ended she left and came back when their next game started. She talked to Ken between games and made it clear that they were really interested in her. I do not know what has happened since her injury, but I would hope that it has no affect on their decision. Colby is a tremendous athlete and more importantly a great girl that any major college coach would love to have on their team. :thumb:

Edited by stlbrd

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe we have gotten off the subject of the thread. "BEST SHORT-STOPS" I think that Brittany Taylor from Unaka High School is the best Short-stop that I have seen in a long time. It is nothing for her to get down and dirty to make the play. She covers a lot of property also. Derek Jeter has nothing on her. She has no fear when going for the ball. Same thing with her offence. The girl is just down right a ball player.

Obviously, you don't know how UCLA operates because their asst. coach came ONLY to see Colby. It was not a recruiting letter or phone call, she traveled across the nation to ONLY watch Colby. When the game ended she left and came back when their next game started. She talked to Ken between games and made it clear that they were really interested in her. I do not know what has happened since her injury, but I would hope that it has no affect on their decision. Colby is a tremendous athlete and more importantly a great girl that any major college coach would love to have on their team. :thumb:

I never have stated that she wasnt a great girl. I have stated that she is probably the best shortstop in tennessee...but coming to watch her play, and being interested, are totally different than offering a scholarship...they probalby have many other girls that they are interested in...UCLA has been playing softball for over 40 years, and they have never offered a scholarship to anyone in tennessee...so you can draw your own conclusion

BleacherBum - How do you know how UCLA operates, obviously your daughter wasn't recruited by UCLA. I just love it when a former rec coach or whatever you coached think they know it all. As I said before, they came to Bowling Green just to watch her play and they have offered her a scholarship and I'll say it again, I know this to be 100% true. Don't comment on something that you know nothing about!!

I have coached and been involved with more girls getting scholarships than you have even seen play, so dont go making judgements on me. I have been involved with many girls playing in college, and also playing for top 20 teams, and there is not a coach in the top 25 that I havent talked to over the years, so dont tell me that I dont know how they operate...when you learn about college softball, then come talk about it

I don't care (Mr. BUM) how many players you have helped that are in the top 25 or how many coaches you have talked to, obviously time has passed you and they don't do things now like they did in the ole days, and once again I will state you have no idea what you are talking about and once again I know all of this to be 100% true.

It's absolutely wonderful that UCLA is showing interest in a girl from Tennessee. She must be a great talent! However, a lot of what Bleacherbum says is true. Putting all your eggs in one basket as a junior is taking a big chance. My daughter went through the recruiting process last summer along with several of her summer teammates and acquaintances. I can tell you it's dog eat dog.

Case and point, a kid we know had been being hounded by many of the top SEC schools (LSU, Georgia, Miss. St., Auburn). She was one of the belles of the ball at their winter clinics getting all kinds of attention (as a junior). Beginning of her recruiting summer, still the letters and emails. Once that July 1st date hit - nothing - until she got her Dear John letters telling her that they had completed their recruiting class for 2006.(By the way this kid did sign D1, just not at an SEC school) These coaches aren't recruiting 3-4 players for 3-4 positions. They have a database of hundreds of players for 3-4 scholarships.

If I could give advice to anyone going through this process it would be keep your options open! Take all your official visits and have fun with it.

It's absolutely wonderful that UCLA is showing interest in a girl from Tennessee. She must be a great talent! However, a lot of what Bleacherbum says is true. Putting all your eggs in one basket as a junior is taking a big chance. My daughter went through the recruiting process last summer along with several of her summer teammates and acquaintances. I can tell you it's dog eat dog.

Case and point, a kid we know had been being hounded by many of the top SEC schools (LSU, Georgia, Miss. St., Auburn). She was one of the belles of the ball at their winter clinics getting all kinds of attention (as a junior). Beginning of her recruiting summer, still the letters and emails. Once that July 1st date hit - nothing - until she got her Dear John letters telling her that they had completed their recruiting class for 2006.(By the way this kid did sign D1, just not at an SEC school) These coaches aren't recruiting 3-4 players for 3-4 positions. They have a database of hundreds of players for 3-4 scholarships.

If I could give advice to anyone going through this process it would be keep your options open! Take all your official visits and have fun with it.

sba, my case exactly...I know sba has some really good talent this year as well, and if not mistaken, one player is going to an sec school...good luck