CPA/CAK game

tnfootball99

QUOTE(BUBBA61 @ May 23 2007 - 12:45 PM) 826465292[/snapback]After hearing what went down last night between the two teams I am forced to change my prediction. CPA-2 CAK-1

The CAK war-machine has won the A/AA state championship the last 4 years. CAK is not seen as a team of destiny, or a Cinderella story, but as an unstoppable stampede of brute soccer force and dominance that seems heck bent on a 5-peat. Being from different regions of the state, CPA has seen little of the CAK players or team in general. Both teams were gripped with a feeling of uncertainty and possible fear of their opponent, with the play and championships of the CAK team the last 5 years giving this mental edge to the warriors. Prior to this dinner the CPA players had heard the hype, done their research, and understood that they were going up against what can best be described as a soccer juggernaut. CAK was not seen as a group of mere high school men, but as a cohesive force of speed, talent, and perfection.

This dinner gathering humanized a formerly machine-like organism, removing these crucial conceptions from the minds of the CPA players. The CPA players may have before been hesitant to make tough passes, or engage one of the well oiled parts of the CAK pain-train because of this mindset of inferiority. They now see the CAK team as a group of young men, not so unlike themselves, that can be beaten. They no longer see CAK as an eloquent and yet powerfully unstoppable drove of mother buffalo, but as a group of highschool men with attributes of both strength and weakness. When a team loses its mental edge, regardless of the source of or motivations that drive this loss, the road ahead becomes far more difficult, and formerly easy wins become tough losses. I respect the show of sportsmanship by both teams, but in a situation involving two distant teams in the state tournament I think the opponent dinner parties are better left to the cheerleaders(yes, I know that soccer doesn't have any).

CPA / CAK played the best match of the state tournament last year. CPA knows first hand how good CAK soccer is and has been. Although winning is important, brotherhood is everlasting.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again CPA played a great game! They had a free kick go off the crossbar, and Gorman had an AMAZING save off of a header (I still don't know how he got to that). Bitter sweet win for us. We really consider CPA our brothers... thanks for a great game, and we hope to meet up again in the future!