AAU Age change

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not going to hurt anything. Just have to find new girls with different birthdays and play in different age groups. Shouldn't be all that big of a change or they wouldn't have made it.

Bingo. I should've said that. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

• 3 weeks later...

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Unfortunately, change is difficult and the initial year will be the hardest. Those affected by this change, may have very difficult decisions to make. Play up/down either way it could have a strong impact on the lives of these young ladies. Let's hope that impact is positive, not negative. Not knowing which way to turn is unsettling, imagine that decision if it were your own child.

/flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

This rule change is going to kill small town clubs. I have 4 or 5 girls young enough to still play 10U, but the rest of the team has to move up to 11U. Smaller towns just don't have the numbers to choose from to make up their teams so youngger girls have to play up just to a team. With this rule change we will either have 10's playing girl getting ready to 13, or we want have a team this year!

THANKS FOR THE CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in no way will this force any kids to play up that werent already....if they are forced to play up then there was some sort of discrepency with how old they are to begin with.....it will allow kids to play with their grade levels that couldnt before because of july, aug., sept., oct., nov., dec., birthdays....why is this so difficult to understand...

in no way will this force any kids to play up that werent already....if they are forced to play up then there was some sort of discrepency with how old they are to begin with.....it will allow kids to play with their grade levels that couldnt before because of july, aug., sept., oct., nov., dec., birthdays....why is this so difficult to understand...

If they are wanting to play with their friends and their friends are 6 months older then those girls will be playing girls potentially 17-18 months older than them. Let's say they want to play down yet there is no local team and they have to travel 30-45 minutes to play on another team. Another team that doesn't know them, another team that they know no one. For a younger girl this is hard to do and is a VERY HARD decision for a parent to make on where they should be. How can you say it won't "kind of" force some girls to play up when they can find no local teams to play on so they stay where they are? If you have a mix of grade levels it has the potential to break a whole team up and if a SMALL club - not the Trotters or Team Prides or Hoopstars that have another 9,10,11,12 year team to go to - it has the potential to be VERY disruptive. Why is that so difficult to understand??!

Bingo. I should've said that. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I totally disagree. See above post.

If they are wanting to play with their friends and their friends are 6 months older then those girls will be playing girls potentially 17-18 months older than them. Let's say they want to play down yet there is no local team and they have to travel 30-45 minutes to play on another team. Another team that doesn't know them, another team that they know no one. For a younger girl this is hard to do and is a VERY HARD decision for a parent to make on where they should be. How can you say it won't "kind of" force some girls to play up when they can find no local teams to play on so they stay where they are? If you have a mix of grade levels it has the potential to break a whole team up and if a SMALL club - not the Trotters or Team Prides or Hoopstars that have another 9,10,11,12 year team to go to - it has the potential to be VERY disruptive. Why is that so difficult to understand??!I totally disagree. See above post.

okay....for 4 years under the old age, we have struggled to have enough kids to play and I mean 7-8 players

on our 1992's. One of our players has had to play up with us rather than play with her friends(school mates) because of her birthday. Out of the potential 7 (school) team mates that my daughter has played with the last 4 years , only one met the age criteria (the others that play AAU had to play up with kids that were mostly a grade higher. My daughter is also a 7/22 birthday but that will not change our plan. (Reply to the having to travel 30-45 minutes to practice to play on another team). I personally am 25 minutes away as is at least 3 of my kids, 2 are 30 min., 1 is 40 minutes, and one is 2 hours. You usually have to leave the confinements of home to play the best, most competitive basketball. I don't mean this harshly but if it (AAU)were about playing with your friends ( nothing wrong with that approach) why worry about AAU? Let's make this work, so are for some are against (some enjoy the debate of my opinions the right one, rather than working with what you have.

trotter coach..................you might have to explain"working with what you have"

that phrase might not translate in some aau circles............. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

ok ha ha.....you aint right...LOL.....let me see .....whats the term....oh yeah coaching ....

sorry about the sarcasm...school ball has me dumbfounded right now....but thanks rob for lettin me vent every now and then