Poirier eyes bowling title after strong start

Pba Kid

Columbia senior Michael Poirier had a smile on his face Thursday afternoon at the Smyrna Bowling Center after the completion of the semifinals of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association's state bowling individual tournament

Not this year.

Poirier, who trailed defending Division I state champion Gary Faulkner by 12 pins entering the semifinals, has a 75-pin lead over second place entering today's finals, with three consecutive games of 193 or better under sport shot conditions.

The semifinals and finals are oiled differently than regular house-shot conditions to make accuracy a premium.

The different oil pattern limits bowlers' ability to throw their traditional hook shots, and it makes them adapt their approach.

Poirier failed to reach last year's finals after earning the state's second-best average during the regular season.

Poirier has 1,747 total pins through Thursday. Hardin County's Scott McLin is second with 1,672 total pins. Three other Middle Tennessee bowlers ??” Columbia's Travis Howell and Smyrna's Brandon Barnes and Johnny Gillis ??” also made the finals.

Family ties

"I'm pretty excited about getting (to the finals)," said Barnes, whose brother Kyle helped lead Smyrna to state team titles in 2005 and 2006. "I'm stoked.

"A lot of people thought I would do well since this is my (home lanes). And I'm a Barnes."

Middle Tennessee bowlers comprise three of the four leaders in the four individual tournaments

In addition to Poirier among Division I boys, MBA's Rand Woodson leads the Division II boys and Pope John Paul II's Christina Calvo enters the finals in first in Division II girls.

Hixson's Allie Chase is the lone non-area leader. She leads McGavock's Kimberly Hensley by 60 pins in the Division I girls tournament.

Hensley, who had one pin more under sport shot conditions than the normal house shot, said she has bowled plenty of games on those conditions.

"It's easier when you bowl on it every week," said Hensley, who had 735 of her 1,469 pins in the semifinals. "I bowl on it every week in a league. That helps when you have done it."

Woodson, the defending D-II individual champion, has 741 pins and leads Lausanne's Trevor Therrell by 10 pins.

Bowlers in D-II do not compete in a quarterfinal round, as in Division I, because of the reduced number of schools.

Calvo has 695 total pins to lead St. Benedict's Shelby Plass by 63 pins.

"I'm a little nervous, but I think I can do it," Calvo said.

Mr./Miss Bowler Awards: Three Middle Tennessee bowlers received the inaugural Mr. or Miss Bowler award. Woodson received the D-II boys award; J.P. II's Hayley Pionk received the D-II girls award; and Poirier won the Division I boys award. Hardin County's Megan Alcott won the Division I girls award.