TO FASTPITCHDAD

railhop

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a die-hard Unicoi Countian, but I can honestly say that I've enjoyed your posts. They were well thought out and supported by facts of which you provided. Obviously, I didn't agree with most of them, but I never felt bashed or smighted. When you stated your opinion, you were a blunt and direct, unapologetic yet not offensive. Thank you for making this board as interesting as the games and, I HOPE, the post game commentary can stay on the "my goodness what an amazing and worthy state championship series that was" path. The young ladies settled the debate on the field, there's no other wars to win on a message board.

Best of luck to Goodpasture in the future!

TO QUOTE FASTPITCHDAD:

fastpitcgdad;

Hahahaha! Y'all are funny! Goodpasture wins handily, everybody else is playing for 2nd.

Blunt and Direct.

I don't take offense to that statement ... I just don't agree with it.

And neither does the TSSAA official record book.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Congrats to Unicoi, they won it on the field and proved many people wrong (myself included).

And while I'm referring to myself, you people from Unicoi may not realize that I am not a Goodpasture parent or fan. My team hasn't been to state in 2 years. Hopefully we'll make it again next year! However, I have the utmost respect for Coach Phillips and the Goodpasture program. 6 state championships in a row is something that may never be done again. They are class people and a class program.

While we're on class... I could not believe some of the posts when I logged on here, maybe if you guys win several in a row you'll learn how to act with class too. I know, I know... it's just a few people getting carried away. But isn't it always a few fans that cause an entire fan base to get a bad reputation?! I hope class, common sense and good sportsmanship prevail here.

My main point in all these posts has been that East TN softball and Upper East TN softball specifically has a long way to go to gain respectability. Yes this championship is a good start! But look at the champions and runners up in all the classifications... 2 champions and 3 runners up in 5 classifications came from Middle TN. That's a total of 5 Middle TN schools that played for the state championship in their respective division. Now I am not claiming that Middle TN is the best in softball, I still defer to the Chattanooga area (this season was an anomaly). But compare that to East TN... 1 team total in all 5 classifications. In order to gain respect you have to get more teams in position to play for championships. As long as your region is weak you will still be perceived in a similar way. The analogy that comes to mind for me is when the AFC first started up. They had to win a few Super Bowls before they gained the respect of the NFC and fans. Its the same here. I still maintain that the best way to improve is to get out of your area to play and be seen. I know it's not realistic to go to 2 or 3 tournaments in Middle TN every year but maybe 1 every other year combined with something in Chattanooga is realistic. It only benefits a team to get outside of their comfort zone/area and play other teams. It's a simple concept and certainly not new. Some coaches embrace it more than others while some ignore it altogether.

Enough of my soapbox (but more importantly I have to get back out to the ballpark to see my younger daughter play)... again, congrats to Unicoi and all the state champions this season!

Congrats to Unicoi, they won it on the field and proved many people wrong (myself included).

And while I'm referring to myself, you people from Unicoi may not realize that I am not a Goodpasture parent or fan. My team hasn't been to state in 2 years. Hopefully we'll make it again next year! However, I have the utmost respect for Coach Phillips and the Goodpasture program. 6 state championships in a row is something that may never be done again. They are class people and a class program.

While we're on class... I could not believe some of the posts when I logged on here, maybe if you guys win several in a row you'll learn how to act with class too. I know, I know... it's just a few people getting carried away. But isn't it always a few fans that cause an entire fan base to get a bad reputation?! I hope class, common sense and good sportsmanship prevail here.

My main point in all these posts has been that East TN softball and Upper East TN softball specifically has a long way to go to gain respectability. Yes this championship is a good start! But look at the champions and runners up in all the classifications... 2 champions and 3 runners up in 5 classifications came from Middle TN. That's a total of 5 Middle TN schools that played for the state championship in their respective division. Now I am not claiming that Middle TN is the best in softball, I still defer to the Chattanooga area (this season was an anomaly). But compare that to East TN... 1 team total in all 5 classifications. In order to gain respect you have to get more teams in position to play for championships. As long as your region is weak you will still be perceived in a similar way. The analogy that comes to mind for me is when the AFC first started up. They had to win a few Super Bowls before they gained the respect of the NFC and fans. Its the same here. I still maintain that the best way to improve is to get out of your area to play and be seen. I know it's not realistic to go to 2 or 3 tournaments in Middle TN every year but maybe 1 every other year combined with something in Chattanooga is realistic. It only benefits a team to get outside of their comfort zone/area and play other teams. It's a simple concept and certainly not new. Some coaches embrace it more than others while some ignore it altogether.

Enough of my soapbox (but more importantly I have to get back out to the ballpark to see my younger daughter play)... again, congrats to Unicoi and all the state champions this season!

The U won the State in 2002 you cannot win it every year you even said your team has not been in 2 years...Looks like your living vicariously through GoodPasture...

the lady devils travel to charleston s.c. every year and play in the azelia?classic. they play in the eastman invitational every year and also host the nfs tourny. they played many teams from outside east tn. and outside the state!!! they are the 2009 1AA STATE CHAMPIONS and they have our respect!! and for having muti-state tittles we are not done yet!!!!!

the lady devils travel to charleston s.c. every year and play in the azelia?classic. they play in the eastman invitational every year and also host the nfs tourny. they played many teams from outside east tn. and outside the state!!! they are the 2009 1AA STATE CHAMPIONS and they have our respect!! and for having muti-state tittles we are not done yet!!!!!

Wow, you put a lot of thought into that post... I'll give you the SC tournament, that is out of their area albeit in the opposite direction. But Eastman would be in Kingsport or JC, right? And if they host their own tournament then certainly that is pretty close by, right? Therefore, 2 of their 3 tournaments every single year are in Upper East TN. So really you just further proved my point. Or maybe you just wanted an excuse to practice using the exclamation point over and over and over and over and over again? Either way, you certainly didn't bring anything substantive to the argument. Thanks for trying though.

Wow, you put a lot of thought into that post... I'll give you the SC tournament, that is out of their area albeit in the opposite direction. But Eastman would be in Kingsport or JC, right? And if they host their own tournament then certainly that is pretty close by, right? Therefore, 2 of their 3 tournaments every single year are in Upper East TN. So really you just further proved my point. Or maybe you just wanted an excuse to practice using the exclamation point over and over and over and over and over again? Either way, you certainly didn't bring anything substantive to the argument. Thanks for trying though.

I believe you miss the point. Apparently the competition that Unicoi faced in SC and East TN was quite sufficient in preparing them for their march through Murfreesboro. I would suggest that East TN softball has improved and will continue to improve and that some of these other areas of the state would do well for themselves to come participate in a few of these tournaments to try and improve their games also.

Your point seems to be simply "play out of their area" instead of playing good competition. That makes no sense.

Here are some facts:

2008 AA - 2 of the top 3 finishing teams were from East TN

2008 AAA - 2 of the top 4 finishing teams were from East TN

2009 AA - Champions from East TN

2009 AAA - 1 of the top 3 finishing teams were from East TN

Granted Single A hasn't fared as well, but they are improving and I would have to give supremecy in single A to West TN anyway.

And as far as Division II.....we just don't do too much of that around here.

Statman: Fastpitchdad continues to miss a lot of points. He dosen't respect e. tn at all apparently and frankly I don't care anymore. Most everyone on this board has tried to tell him something that he just dosent' want to hear. I see this type of thing a lot at work. Some folks from down that way just think they are better than the "hillbillies." No use arguing with them. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

we have "gotten out and been seen" that's why we play travel ball. duh.

your lack of decency is very hurtful to all of the east tennessee softball players who work very hard and spend their whole summer playing ball in places like middle tennessee.

i believe you are the ONLY one without respect for this group of girls.

congrats unicoi i love you all very much /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I cannot comprehend why you people continue on and on with these threads. Will you all not be content until everybody declares their respect for Unicoi? You won the AA state championship, why is the self satisfaction of knowing you're the best AA team not good enough for you? It does not deminish your girls accomplishment just because everybody does not declare their respect for Unicoi or say that they are the best thing since sliced bread. You won, be a gracious winner and we'll see you next May when you leave upper East TN again.

I am finished with this topic.

I cannot comprehend why you people continue on and on with these threads. Will you all not be content until everybody declares their respect for Unicoi? You won the AA state championship, why is the self satisfaction of knowing you're the best AA team not good enough for you? It does not deminish your girls accomplishment just because everybody does not declare their respect for Unicoi or say that they are the best thing since sliced bread. You won, be a gracious winner and we'll see you next May when you leave upper East TN again.

I am finished with this topic.

Good now you can quit running your pie hole!!!!!

Come East and play some good competitrion