Ridgeway vs. Southwind Friday Feb. 5 Who ya got?

nebuntyn

The only reason I can possibly give you Trader is that J3's broken toe started giving him fits. He just returned a few days ago against Kirby and only scored 4 points. J3 started every game before his injury and by district he should be full recovered. I broke my toe last summer and once you get out the boot its still a little swollen and tender.

The biggest weakness for Southwind is that they don't have that slasher. Montez normally does a good job, but he tried to focus a little too much on his jumpshot and he's a streaky shooter at best. Also when J3 is out of the game, the post scoring with the exception of 6'4 Walter Davis (who in my opinion with his height, did a great job yesterday) becomes practically 0. Thats why Southwind is more a perimeter orientated team at this point. As J3 health's gets better the more balanced they'll become, similiar to how they played against White Station and Gtown(1st Matchup). I think Southwind's problem will be easier to cure than Melrose's. In my opinion.

P.S. Demarc Richardson is the 6'2 slasher at Briarcrest Christian. Amazing hops, game has improved drastically. Should've been at Southwind :roflolk:

Understood.

I'll have to make a note to go see Richardson play, at some point.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Last night's game was terribly officiated. My goodness, how many lane violations were there? And at one point in the second half, the foul count was something like 15 to 2 in favor of Ridgeway. Overall, the officiating was so bad that you couldn't even tell what team cost the worst of it.

2. To answer Trader's question about J3 starting: Edwards rotates his starters. Last night, Gray and Darious came off the bench as well whereas Darius and Hardy started. As for why J3 didn't play much in the second half, none of you seem to notice that he actually fouled out on the first play of the 4th quarter while guarding Black in the lane.

3. To answer JodyJoe's question: Cameron Golden, hands down.

4. JodyJoe, I told you this about Paige before: He has to stop putting it all on himself in crunch time. There were a few plays in the last 2 minutes where he taking shots in an off-game instead of finding Gray(who was on, especially late). Give it to your leading scorer. That's something that Edwards should be saying in the huddle.

5. Southwind is heck to put away, aren't they? They just keep coming. Don't worry about them having an early exit in the regionals, because everybody isn't Ridgeway, which is the only team I see who's better.

6. And this is most important. I don't care who was sick, I don't bet against Ridgeway. Wes Henning has no peers. Gotta love it.

Corieon (been out since white station 1st game) and Adam was out as well......... I said it once and will say it again...Peeps underestimate Ridgeway as a TEAM! Once they are healthy again...Watch Out!

1) What's wrong with Corieon?

2) When is he slated to return (I don't recall seeing him last night)?

3) Is he the starting PG, over "Boo?"

1. Joe Jackson(i think, might've been someone else, my head was turned) slapped him in the eye in the first meeting back in December.

2. Last night, he was in uniform and warmed up, just didn't play. He wasn't wearing his usual #3. He was wearing #12(his number from his sophomore year). I understand Henning sitting him out of a game like that until he gets back in rhythm.

3. He's the 6th man. Marshall always starts.

1. Last night's game was terribly officiated. My goodness, how many lane violations were there? And at one point in the second half, the foul count was something like 15 to 2 in favor of Ridgeway. Overall, the officiating was so bad that you couldn't even tell what team cost the worst of it.

2. To answer Trader's question about J3 starting: Edwards rotates his starters. Last night, Gray and Darious came off the bench as well whereas Darius and Hardy started. As for why J3 didn't play much in the second half, none of you seem to notice that he actually fouled out on the first play of the 4th quarter while guarding Black in the lane.

3. To answer JodyJoe's question: Cameron Golden, hands down.

4. JodyJoe, I told you this about Paige before: He has to stop putting it all on himself in crunch time. There were a few plays in the last 2 minutes where he taking shots in an off-game instead of finding Gray(who was on, especially late). Give it to your leading scorer. That's something that Edwards should be saying in the huddle.

5. Southwind is heck to put away, aren't they? They just keep coming. Don't worry about them having an early exit in the regionals, because everybody isn't Ridgeway, which is the only team I see who's better.

6. And this is most important. I don't care who was sick, I don't bet against Ridgeway. Wes Henning has no peers. Gotta love it.

Williams fouled out?

Heck, I thought he only had 3 fouls.... Oh well, then yes-- I definitely missed his 4th and 5th fouls. My bad.

If there was a foul disparity (I don't necessarily doubt you. I just haven't seen any stats), then Ridgeway's style of play (not referee-bias) naturally resulted in more FT attempts, from what I observed. As you know, attack-oriented teams like RW will almost always get more FT attempts than perimeter-oriented teams like Southwind.

Additionally, the seemingly record-setting number of "lane violations" are about the only peculiar thing that I noticed about the refereeing. I strongly suspect that they have been instructed to really crack down on that issue. Incidentally, the same oddity occurred during the girls game, as well. Other than that, though-- I thought the refs did a decent job overall. Oh sure, they missed a few calls...both ways. That's normal and understandable. They are still human and have a very tough job. Personally, I never expect the refs to be perfect, just fair and not calling a bunch of ticky-tack fouls!

As for your point #4, you are dead-on about all that! It's always inexcusable NOT to feed the "hot" hand, IMO. Gray was hotter than a firecracker!

Southwind is absolutely relentless and have the talent to go along with it. Nevertheless, the AAA Regionals are going to be super-tough here in Memphis, given all these top-tier teams. Every single one of them had better be focused and ready to play hard for 32 minutes. Otherwise, any of them could easily get shocked with an early exit!

As for Coach Henning-- I agree 100%. The proof is in the pudding! The guy just flat-out knows how to maximize talent and minimize weaknesses. His coaching resume, chocked full of State Championships, is absolutely no accident!

Corieon (been out since white station 1st game) and Adam was out as well......... I said it once and will say it again...Peeps underestimate Ridgeway as a TEAM! Once they are healthy again...Watch Out!

1. Joe Jackson(i think, might've been someone else, my head was turned) slapped him in the eye in the first meeting back in December.

2. Last night, he was in uniform and warmed up, just didn't play. He wasn't wearing his usual #3. He was wearing #12(his number from his sophomore year). I understand Henning sitting him out of a game like that until he gets back in rhythm.

Thanks.

Ridgeway seems to have a lot of quality depth at the Guard position.

1. It was Andre Hollins who hit him in the eye (Over Aggressive Play)......After viewing the clip on him, a lot of those highlights were from that white station game. and Raleigh Egypt (I think)

2. He was in uniform for the 1st time since the injury.....#12 instead of the #3 jersey normally worn.

3. Yep he is the 6th man but was/is a key part of ridgeway and the other team having another option to worry about. After looking at the highlight tape, thats a huge loss /addition going into the post season!

Gotta disagree totally with you on the officiating and styles of play. Besides Ridgeway, nobody attacks as hard as Southwind does. I cant tell which one is more aggressive, but they're the top 2. And yes the foul discrepancy was that much different, but I didn't see Southwind being less aggressive in attacking. They attack the interior alot more than Melrose does, even with much less size. Just for what it was, the officiating was terrible. But compared to what I've seen so far this season, it wasn't that bad. I think I've seen 2 solid called games this entire season(one being the first Ridgeway/Southwind game).

Side Note: Coacht.com, my goodness, "heck"? Brings back memories from 4th grade :thumb:

Ridgeway @ Germantown.

Nebuntyn, What does Germantown have that makes you think they'll beat Ridgeway? Granted Germantown can cause problems when they're on, but I think Black has a much better game against Husley than he did against J3/Walter Davis.

if they bring their A game, they can beat Ridgeway... Todd Mayo can truly take control of a game.... He doesn't get the credit that he deserves. If you match effort with Ridgeway you can win, their strength is they play from bell to bell. That's why they beat Whitestation, they have all the intangibles that you don't see in the box score. It doesn't matter now, I thought southwind would beat Ridgeway the other night. The Germantown game is not as important now, because Ridgeway has won the district.