#1 Fulton Beats #2 Gatlinburg Pittman

Photoman

I'd like to see that too... with fair officiating. Those Smoky mountain refs seem to let them play too physical and make too many inconsistent calls. Which ever court they play on...I just hope we can keep the GP women happy. We had sailors blushing listening to some of the screaming F-bombs and other descriptive adjectives. Coach Wright himself asked the district tournament coordinators if they would have some of the local churches volunteer to provide child care for some of the tiny sports fans that had their verbal horizons broadened. In this day and age, children are going to hear that language at school, on the TV, or even at hilltop family reunions... but to hear it from mad mamas and visiting head coaches is a little shocking... even for adults.

Was the game not played in Fulton? If so my friend, that would be Knox South Association and not Smoky mountain.....

I'm referring to their next match up which will be at Pigeon Forge. The 1st game was very rough with poor officiating. If you look at posts from other schools.... many fans feel the same way about the mountain top refs.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many others were contacted that didn't transfer? When kids transfer within a city, county or just across a county line, not much is said. Most of these contacts are made through AAU connections. I'm not saying this is right but you asked why the GP coach is being singled out.

Right premise, bad assumption. I know the story (both in and out) on each one of the kids that were looking to come to GP and those that did. AAU connections are certainly at play here, but your wrong assumption is who is contacting whom.

Be fair and look at the progress Placeres made in the years before ANY transfers looked GPs way, it was tremendous and real.

How many other coaches play semi-pro ball like Placeres as well?

Add the fact that GP is considered one of the best acedemic public schools in the SE, and it isnt hard to understand why we will continue to draw interest, and WELCOME it!

The question from an earlier post was why is the GP coach is being singled out. I only offered my opinion. Six total transfers in one year is highly unusual especially when 4 come from out of state. You might find this in the inner city but I doubt that you see this very often at a rural high school.

By the way, most are aware of the academic performance of the school and it's something the community should be very proud of.

["TNHSBBALLFAN"]By the way, most are aware of the academic performance of the school and it's something the community should be very proud of.

Appreciate that acknowledgement, it seems to be overlooked, hope it isn't coming across as arrogant to be pointing it out, I just strongly feel that is a real factor along with the rep of the coach.

Having a coach that is well plugged into the AAU program, as well as a current semi-pro player himself, well - its going to draw attention.

Remember, 2 of the transfers were Sevier County players, and one other came to GP for very personal reasons well outside of baskeball. Two other of the 6 that showed early interest did not work out. That leaves just Jose Agosto as the real single "outside" transfer, and yes the AAU connections were a factor here, plain and simple, but also well above board.

The topic is Fulton v.s. Gatlinburg. You never referenced Pigeon Forge...and I still have no clue as to what you are talking about.

I'd like to see that too... with fair officiating. Those Smoky mountain refs seem to let them play too physical and make too many inconsistent calls. Which ever court they play on...I just hope we can keep the GP women happy. We had sailors blushing listening to some of the screaming F-bombs and other descriptive adjectives. Coach Wright himself asked the district tournament coordinators if they would have some of the local churches volunteer to provide child care for some of the tiny sports fans that had their verbal horizons broadened. In this day and age, children are going to hear that language at school, on the TV, or even at hilltop family reunions... but to hear it from mad mamas and visiting head coaches is a little shocking... even for adults.

Was the game not played in Fulton? If so my friend, that would be Knox South Association and not Smoky mountain.....

I'm referring to their next match up which will be at Pigeon Forge. The 1st game was very rough with poor officiating. If you look at posts from other schools.... many fans feel the same way about the mountain top refs.

I'm sorry but there is no way anyone can make me believe everything is above board when a school gets 6 transfers in one year that all happen to be good bball players.

Let's try this one more time:

I'm posting under my real name, so anyone can consider the source -

We have a top rated scholastic school -

We have a well-known (AAU circuit) young semi-pro playing basketball coach with 3 years of proven and significant progress in building his program (with no transfers) -

I clearly outlined that VARIOUS circumstances brought each of these kids to consider GP -

Six kids considered, 4 came -

Would you care to raise your argument above mere innuendo?

The topic is Fulton v.s. Gatlinburg. You never referenced Pigeon Forge...and I still have no clue as to what you are talking about.

I was not referring to a pick-up game behind the Tanger outlet mall. The District tournament will be played at Pigeon Forge... Therefore there next matchup will be at Pigeon forge.

Guys lets not get crazy!! We beat GP but they also beat us. The grass was green for them maybe two weeks ago just not as green this morning. In all of this a lot is being lost. Both schools have really good teams that hopefully will make it far. Our Bears played great last night on Senior night. Gym has never been that full! Estimated crowd of 2500-3000.

As adults I feel we tend to forget they are just kids. Parents always want the best for the kids and if that means moving their kids, so be it. From what I hear Coach from GP is very highly regarded at the college level and is known in all the right circles. Can't blame a person for that. We all try to maximize our abilities and talents. Congrats again to our seniors on a great senior night and good luck to Pigeon Forge and GP in the district tournament

JoshRussell is one class act - THANK YOU for putting it so much better than I have.

I know for a fact that while this is a serious rivalry, the kids from both teams know each other and get along very well, at least according to my son. THIS is what sportsmanship and competition is all about - play hard, compete hard, but at the end of it, respect your opponent.

Best of luck to the Smoky Bears (I attended there my freshman and sophomore years back in the day when GP's academic record was not so hot :thumb:) as they hopefully make their mark in the playoffs!