IB Program?

diggerdog

The IB program DOES NOT begin in the 11th grade. It begins in the 9th grade year.

The 2011 class will be the first class to have gone all the way through in the IB program. Since this is new to the Rutherford County School District, I would hope that there would be some sort of program in place that would police parents who send their kids as 9th graders with no intention of following the IB program through.

However, put your kid in this scenario: they start 9th grade in the IB program, but by Spring semester of their junior year, they're just not getting the work done (it's too advanced, overwhelming, etc.). Does that mean you displace a kid who has attended a school for 2 1/2 years, made friends, established a social life, etc.?

In my opinion, parents need to think long and hard before they commit to the IB program. It's a great program, but it's not something to be abused.

My final point: if you want to send your kid to participate in an athletic program, which one would you send them to RIGHT NOW?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the deal on the IB program...and trust me on this...I have a son in the IB program, he plays baseball, and he attends the school he's zoned for.

The IB program starts the freshman year. Each class is designed to lead into the junior year when IB-specific classes start. Think of it as attending college. While your junior & senior year consisted mostly of classes that were directly related to your major - or degree - the freshman & sophomore classes were courses of basic study that satisfied degree requirements. The IB program is similar to this. Every class taken has a purpose and is designed to meet requirements both for the IB program and the state of Tennessee.

And, don't confuse magnet schools with the IB program. Magnet schools may emphasize math or science, while IB program includes all areas of study as well as a community service requirement, creative (or arts) emphasis, and an activity requirement (which a sport would satisfy). During the senior year, a significant research paper is completed and sent away to be approved by the IB program. Basically, it's a more intense and rigorous course of study -very much like college. A majority of colleges recognize the IB diploma, which translates into significant scholarship monies.

In other words, if a student finishes the IB program, he can pretty much choose the college he wants to attend, i.e., Harvard, Vanderbilt, etc.

So, I ask you...if a parent has a child who is an advanced student going into 9th grade, would you not give them the option to excel in academics with the opportunity to go on to a well-respected university?

From what I see and hear, the kids going into the IB program in Rutherford County are doing it because of academics...not as a loophole to play baseball. Why is there no one complaining about kids who play soccer, golf, basketball or football?

Digger...Bottom line...quit your whining. Creating rumors, questioning character, and attacking programs is pathetic and immature. You should be happy that the IB program exists in Rutherford County for the opportunity it gives our kids as well as making our community an attractive place to live. It is what it is. If a kid wants to get an exceptional education and play a sport while doing it, then he/she has every right to do it.

Well - I was not trying to get personal but I am just asking questions that I have been hearing at SEVERAL baseball fields around the state this year. This has been talked about every football season so just thought I would ask what everyone else is asking. Here is a hypothetical and give me your honest answer. let's say your son and 4 other 8th graders zoned for Blackman (1), Oakland (2) and LaVergne (1) and they want to get better in football and the assistant football coach at Riverdale is teaching them tackling drills over at Riverdale and likes what he sees and says to each individual, "Why don't you come to Riverdale". Each boy and the parents like this guy but are not sure how they can get in to Riverdale but find out thru the IB program they can get in. Do you think that is illegal what the assistant coach said to the 8th graders according to Rule 3 in the TSSAA handbook?

I don't know if it is or not but have heard lot's of opinions on it.

One more question. Since you are doing everything legal I commend you for making good decisions for your child and you are zoned for that school. If a player not zoned for that school takes playing time from your son and drops out of IB classes or never really intends to take them to begin with does that make you mad?

Good job on your part for being a good parent and I really hope that all have the same motivations in mind or the questions at ALL the fields will continued to be asked.

It happens all the time... Take Oakland for example......not happy with your zoned school's baseball program. Your son or daughter is a great academic student. Sign up for the IB program and your in at Oakland. Knocks other players out of playing time. Don't get me wrong..Oakland's baseball program is full of great young men. ALL OF THEM. But.....if he wants to play ball and he is not happy where he is at. The IB program gets him in at Oakland if he can handle it.