Big 8 Baseball

Gabby

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must be getting close to baseball season, because it is mighty cold outside today. Maybe the cold will wake up some Big 8 regulars. Everyone have a Merry Christmas. Baseball will be here soon!!!!

Anyone want to comment on their teams or how they see the season going? Personally, I think Science Hill will have another good season. I look for Boone and David Crockett to contend. I don't know much about Tennessee High other than the Cunningham kid looks pretty good. Dobyns-Bennett is always a handful for any team. Again, I don't know that much about Sullivan South, Volunteer, or Sullivan Central.

Science Hill has Daniel Norris returning. When he is on the mound, SH always has a good shot. I think that the pitching overall this year should be better than last year. Several juniors are starting to come into their on. I also think that the hitting should be better than last. Science Hill lost a handful of seniors, but their offensive core is back Zack Thompson, Daniel Norris, Will Carter, Will Craig, and the Nelson kid. If they can get a couple of the others to step up, SH should have a solid team.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone want to comment on their teams or how they see the season going? Personally, I think Science Hill will have another good season. I look for Boone and David Crockett to contend. I don't know much about Tennessee High other than the Cunningham kid looks pretty good. Dobyns-Bennett is always a handful for any team. Again, I don't know that much about Sullivan South, Volunteer, or Sullivan Central.

Science Hill has Daniel Norris returning. When he is on the mound, SH always has a good shot. I think that the pitching overall this year should be better than last year. Several juniors are starting to come into their on. I also think that the hitting should be better than last. Science Hill lost a handful of seniors, but their offensive core is back Zack Thompson, Daniel Norris, Will Carter, Will Craig, and the Nelson kid. If they can get a couple of the others to step up, SH should have a solid team.

DAVY CROCKETT took a big step back there best player Marti moved away

DAVY CROCKETT took a big step back there best player Marti moved away

That is a big loss for Crockett. He should have beat Science Hill and Norris last year. He was cruising along and Crockett brought in Freeman, and I believe SH scored four runs to win the game. It wasn't all Freeman's fault. There were 4 fly balls hit, and I thought 3 of them should have been caught. If any of those fly balls had been caught, I believe Crockett would have won.

That is a big loss for Crockett. He should have beat Science Hill and Norris last year. He was cruising along and Crockett brought in Freeman, and I believe SH scored four runs to win the game. It wasn't all Freeman's fault. There were 4 fly balls hit, and I thought 3 of them should have been caught. If any of those fly balls had been caught, I believe Crockett would have won.

YEP i was there i really thought the hill was beat that night.That was the best Crockett team they have had .They lost alot from last years team

• 2 weeks later...

YEP i was there i really thought the hill was beat that night.That was the best Crockett team they have had .They lost alot from last years team

With March 14th approaching, what are the scouting reports from the Big 8? Who are the players from the teams to watch for this year? Who will be the surprise team, and who will be the breakout player?

Science Hill returns their core players, especially in the infield. Offensively, Will Carter, Zack Thompson, Will Craig, Daniel Norris, and Kevin Nelson present a formidable group. They need a couple of bats from the remaining players to step up to round out the team offense.

Obviously, Daniel Norris is the leading pitcher on the team throwing consistantly in 90s, but Science Hill looks like they will have a stronger and deeper pitching staff than last year. In order to be a contender in high school, you need at least two top quality pitchers who can go out and consistantly shut down teams. Daniel Norris is obviously one. There are several others that are bumping up in the high 80s with one or two hitting 90, and several are throwing in the mid 80s. The question is who is going to have the velocity and the accuracy to shut down other teams.

Although it is early, right now Science Hill's defense is a little rusty. Also, in my opinion, their non-pitching bench isn't as strong as it has been. Nevertheless, it is hard not to pick SH to win the conference.

1. Science Hill--Norris will be too much for the other teams

2. Tennessee High--I believe their pitching is stronger than Dobyns-Bennett's hitting

3. Dobyns-Bennett--There offense will carry them

4. Daniel Boone--Some pitching, but need to improve offensively

5. Davy Crockett--Marti leaving really hurt, I believe they will be a better team next year

6. Sullivan South--Don't know too much about South, Central, or Volunteer

7. Sullivan Central

8. Volunteer--

Good luck to everyone! I hope each team exceeds their potential!

• 2 weeks later...

With March 14th approaching, what are the scouting reports from the Big 8? Who are the players from the teams to watch for this year? Who will be the surprise team, and who will be the breakout player?

Science Hill returns their core players, especially in the infield. Offensively, Will Carter, Zack Thompson, Will Craig, Daniel Norris, and Kevin Nelson present a formidable group. They need a couple of bats from the remaining players to step up to round out the team offense.

Obviously, Daniel Norris is the leading pitcher on the team throwing consistantly in 90s, but Science Hill looks like they will have a stronger and deeper pitching staff than last year. In order to be a contender in high school, you need at least two top quality pitchers who can go out and consistantly shut down teams. Daniel Norris is obviously one. There are several others that are bumping up in the high 80s with one or two hitting 90, and several are throwing in the mid 80s. The question is who is going to have the velocity and the accuracy to shut down other teams.

Although it is early, right now Science Hill's defense is a little rusty. Also, in my opinion, their non-pitching bench isn't as strong as it has been. Nevertheless, it is hard not to pick SH to win the conference.

1. Science Hill--Norris will be too much for the other teams

2. Tennessee High--I believe their pitching is stronger than Dobyns-Bennett's hitting

3. Dobyns-Bennett--There offense will carry them

4. Daniel Boone--Some pitching, but need to improve offensively

5. Davy Crockett--Marti leaving really hurt, I believe they will be a better team next year

6. Sullivan South--Don't know too much about South, Central, or Volunteer

7. Sullivan Central

8. Volunteer--

Good luck to everyone! I hope each team exceeds their potential!

Science Hiil has their second scrimmage against Morristown East,Tuesday afternoon. Saturday, the pitching looked strong with four pitchers giving up three runs over 10 innings of scrimmage. Will Craig jacked a home run. Science Hill plays Wednesday and Thursday at Cardinal Park against Virginia High and Elizabethton, respectively. SH opens Tuesday against Crockett and plays Wednesday against Tennessee High.

How is everyone else doing? Any comments on the upcoming season.

Science Hiil has their second scrimmage against Morristown East,Tuesday afternoon. Saturday, the pitching looked strong with four pitchers giving up three runs over 10 innings of scrimmage. Will Craig jacked a home run. Science Hill plays Wednesday and Thursday at Cardinal Park against Virginia High and Elizabethton, respectively. SH opens Tuesday against Crockett and plays Wednesday against Tennessee High.

How is everyone else doing? Any comments on the upcoming season.

The Tribe has a couple of scrimmages behind them and 2 more to go. Bats where a little flat in the first scrimmage but came alive in the second game. The pitching has been pretty good not giving up many hits or walks. The Tribe made a few mistakes in the 1st scrimmage ...but the 2nd scrimmage was much better. Not sure if any errors where made in the 2nd one.

Alot of unknowns with pitching in the Big 8 this year. After the big names of Norris, Connell, Cunningham, Lloyd, Mullins and Craig ...who else is going to step it up. Could be the difference maker down the road.

Looking forward to a Great Year in the Big 8.

The Tribe has a couple of scrimmages behind them and 2 more to go. Bats where a little flat in the first scrimmage but came alive in the second game. The pitching has been pretty good not giving up many hits or walks. The Tribe made a few mistakes in the 1st scrimmage ...but the 2nd scrimmage was much better. Not sure if any errors where made in the 2nd one.

Alot of unknowns with pitching in the Big 8 this year. After the big names of Norris, Connell, Cunningham, Lloyd, Mullins and Craig ...who else is going to step it up. Could be the difference maker down the road.

Looking forward to a Great Year in the Big 8.

Nice to hear from you plowboy. For a while, I thought I was the only one interested in Big 8 baseball.

Regarding pitching at Science Hill this spring, they seem to be loaded. The starters are probably in this order: 1. Norris, 2. Craig, 3. Will Carter, 4. Andrew Sweeney, 5. Brycen Renfro, and 6. Reed Hayes 6. Heath Loyd (Junior from Providence Academy). The relievers are 1. Matt Pope, 2. Cody Campbell, 3. Kyle Wilson, 4. Reid Darden, 5. Bennett Blanton, 6. Mitch Wilbur (left hander), and 7. Harrison Spencer (left hander).

Of course, most have not faced varsity hitting. Matt Pope is particularly interesting. Throws probably in low 90s, with emphasis on throws. Against Cocke County, faced 5 batters, walked two, struck out threee, and gave up two runs. Need I say more!

Against Cocke County, pitching (Norris, Sweeney, Renfro, and Pope) probably struck out 27 of the 30 possible outs in the ten innings they played.

Edited by Gabby

Season opener @ Volunteer Tuesday the 15th and the home opener at The Fred on Wednesday the 16th vs. Central.

Roll Tribe

Today is one of the best days of the baseball season. Every team is a possible contender. Hope is eternal. By Thursday, some teams will be schuffling. Some contenders will be pretenders, and some teams will be surprises! But overall, there is nothing like the opening of baseball season. Enjoy it! Each of us would trade everything to be able to play one more season.