McMinn Central v Howard Region 3aa tourney schedule change

Theres another school in the same county that about 1600 students attend as compared to the 700-800 at central. students can attend either school. from what i here there are many reasons to send your kid to the smaller one...not just athletics.

In general, I prefer smaller schools. But for a parent to send their child to a certain school based solely on athletics is absurd. If you're a good player, you'll get noticed just as much by colleges at a school that isn't as successful in their athletic programs as you will at the one that is more successful.

And if you're implying that McMinn County High is inferior to McMinn Central in academics, than I'll just have to laugh at your ignorance. Either school will more that adequately prepare a student for college if the student puts forth the effort.

Also remember they recruit very well through their "AAU" Mcminn Fire program, players from riceville,athen,calhoun,etowah,just to name a few.Remember McMinn is a very "BIG" County,LOL

Not too sure I'd use the word "recruit" since all the coaches I know in the McMinn Fire program haven't pushed an athlete toward one particular school that I know of. Fact is, the McMinn Central coaches and Athletic Director worked "with" the Fire coaches many years ago by opening up their gym for them to practice in. McMinn County High has had their chances - and were even the original location of choice when the McMinn Fire was formed many years ago - but the McMinn Athletic Director (and possibly the coaches too at that time) didn't seem to be interested.

There are AAU teams (was called Tribe, but is now called Swarm) working out at McMinn County High, but they aren't in the same league as McMinn Fire is. Former Globetrotter and TWC standout, Paul Gaffney, is starting an AAU team this year through TWC, so we'll see how well he develops the program.

I think McMinn County is slowly rebuilding their girls program, and they will have some very good basketball players entering there as Freshmen in the Fall of 2011. Naturally, McMinn Central will also. Part of McMinn County's problem was the former girls Coach who ran the program into the ground before he left 4 years ago.

In general, I prefer smaller schools. But for a parent to send their child to a certain school based solely on athletics is absurd. If you're a good player, you'll get noticed just as much by colleges at a school that isn't as successful in their athletic programs as you will at the one that is more successful.

And if you're implying that McMinn County High is inferior to McMinn Central in academics, than I'll just have to laugh at your ignorance. Either school will more that adequately prepare a student for college if the student puts forth the effort.

not a reference to academics...simply suggesting many parents prefer the disciplinary atmosphere of the smaller mcminn central to the much larger mcminn county.