Blackman at Brentwood

Blazeallthewaze

It was holding and it was pretty blatant on that one. And I couldn't believe the guy that was 5 feet from the hold didn't call it - maybe he has a different responsibility on that play or something. Just about every time the RB got outside of the Brentwood DB playing 3 yards from the sideline with outside leverage on the WR there was a hold. But they only call it when it's blatant and that goes for just about every blocker on both teams. We all know there's holding everywhere. There was another hold called earlier in the game and it was the exact same situation - running outside the DB and the WR had a hand full of jersey.

Probably a dumb question but isn't the clock stopped by the ref with the control in his hand on the field - or does that control something else? I honestly thought he controlled it.

Blatant my foot! It wasn't even called on a wr but a lineman. The old guy didn't even throw it until the runner was 8 yards downfield. The clock is controlled on the field and the score, down and dist, etc are controlled in the box. There is an official on the home sideline that has the control for the time. On Blackman's last drive there was at least a full minute that was run off improperly. 2 or three times on first downs the clock didn't stop at all. I watched 20 seconds run off before they stopped it and then they put a whopping 6 seconds back on. Then the unexcusable one was the long run by Mathers of about 20 or 30 yards...obvious first down, he lost his balance and was pushed out of bounds. He was never tackled or hit the ground. He simply ran back onfield and flipped the ball to the official. THEY NEVER STOPPED THE CLOCK!!!! Then the holding call happened. UNBELIEVABLE!

As many have said, it shouldn't have mattered. Blackman gave up several opportunities to either win the game or stop Brentwood and couldn't get it done. However, the incopetence of the refs is just unexcuseable. They were holding Blackman on the edge all night, but no calls....even one time the wr tackled the db right in front of an official on the Brentwood sideline - NO call. They had ONE penalty for less than a yard on an obvious false start. If you are going to swallow the whistle all night, you cannot all of a sudden FIND a hold on a big play in the middle of the line at the end of the game. I would love to know what Coach Shadowens was saying to the official at midfield during the timeout after those plays happened.

Again, shouldn't have mattered and didn't cost them the game, but it is frustrating to see incompetence. These guys are getting paid, they are not volunteers and should be held accountable.

Well, its an L. Can't do anything about it now. Time to move on to the next game against an improving Lavergne team that will give Blackman fits if Blackman doesn't come ready to play and maybe even if we do.

This will be an extremely important game for Blackman as it could be for 2nd in the district (If Smyrna beats Siegel) and this would help our seeding some. If we lose, we could very well be seeded 8th in quad 2 which would put us against Riverdale in game 1.

Go Blaze!!!

I would love to know what Coach Shadowens was saying to the official at midfield during the timeout after those plays happened.

He was saying:

We're going to kick the ball into the back of one of our linemen and try to trick them into roughing our kicker. Be sure and throw the flag!

Unfortunately not all of the refs heard him and now we get to read about how bad the officiating was. Carry on!

thanks for the info irongut, wondered why some places ive been the refs will look towards the box to reset time and some places they dont, i never realized that

Two different people. An assigned ECO (Electronic clock operator) is part of the officiating crew and most stadiums have a connection on the field for him to stop and start the clock. The scoreboard operator, part of the home press box crew, operates the scoreboard as far as the score for each team, down and distance and position of the ball. The scoreboard operator has the controls to reset the time. The ECO has the button to stop and start it.

clock is controlled from the press box

The scoreboard is operated from the pressbox.

The clock is opperated by the official electronic clock opperator 'ECO' on the field (home sidline) under normal conditions. The ECO only has an 'on and off' switch to control the clock. If an error is made and the clock needs adjustment (time changed) the scoreboard opperator must make the adjustment in the pressbox and thats the reason you might see an official talking to the pressbox. But, the timekeeper (ECO) is the guy dragging the cord up and down the sideline. If there is a failure in the equipment the ECO can opperate the clock from the pressbox, but that's not the norm.

My complaints about the officials was the varying holding calls, pass interference, the inadvertant whistle on a fumble before the player was down, the touchback call on the punt with the offical on the other side of the field marking the ball out at the two yard line, the head official signaling first down when the head linesman had spotted the ball short of the 'yard to gain marker' and the kickoff returns being called automatic touchbacks when the kick returner stepped on the goal line when we've seen these balls run out of the endzone all season long. It use to be you couldn't run the ball out of the endzone and I guessed that rule had been changed by the way its been called this year. I'm just saying the calls were very inconsistent with the way other officials are calling it. :popcorneater:

Edited by DaBlueRaider

He was saying:

We're going to kick the ball into the back of one of our linemen and try to trick them into roughing our kicker. Be sure and throw the flag!

Unfortunately not all of the refs heard him and now we get to read about how bad the officiating was. Carry on!

Ummmmm, ok. I don't think you heard anybody say that it should have been a roughing penalty on the kick. Any person with 2 eyes and a brain knows that you can't have roughing the kicker right there. The play was brought up as further evidence of the REF's incompetence not knowing the rules and how the game was managed.

On to Lavergne. If the Blaze don't pick it up and re-focus, they are capeable of sneaking up and biting them.

The scoreboard is operated from the pressbox.

The clock is opperated by the official electronic clock opperator 'ECO' on the field (home sidline) under normal conditions. The ECO only has an 'on and off' switch to control the clock. If an error is made and the clock needs adjustment (time changed) the scoreboard opperator must make the adjustment in the pressbox and thats the reason you might see an official talking to the pressbox. But, the timekeeper (ECO) is the guy dragging the cord up and down the sideline. If there is a failure in the equipment the ECO can opperate the clock from the pressbox, but that's not the norm.

My complaints about the officials was the varying holding calls, pass interference, the inadvertant whistle on a fumble before the player was down, the touchback call on the punt with the offical on the other side of the field marking the ball out at the two yard line, the head official signaling first down when the head linesman had spotted the ball short of the 'yard to gain marker' and the kickoff returns being called automatic touchbacks when the kick returner stepped on the goal line when we've seen these balls run out of the endzone all season long. It use to be you couldn't run the ball out of the endzone and I guessed that rule had been changed by the way its been called this year. I'm just saying the calls were very inconsistent with the way other officials are calling it. :popcorneater:

Forgotten about the blatant pass interference when the Blackman wr had the db beaten and got tackled. The ref on the Brentwood sideline was TERRIBLE all night. Same guy that should have stopped the clock on the long run late. I guess he forgot his flag AND whistle last night.

The fumble could go either way. Most high school crews will blow that down. Didn't have a good look at so can't say.

As I said, on to Lavergne.

Ummmmm, ok. I don't think you heard anybody say that it should have been a roughing penalty on the kick. Any person with 2 eyes and a brain knows that you can't have roughing the kicker right there. The play was brought up as further evidence of the REF's incompetence not knowing the rules and how the game was managed.

On to Lavergne. If the Blaze don't pick it up and re-focus, they are capeable of sneaking up and biting them.

I read it in the DNJ: Added Shadowens, “I don’t know — I thought it hit our guy in the back of the butt to be honest with you.

“If it was a block, it was the right call. If it wasn’t, it was the wrong call.â€

Ummmmmmmm, ok?

Blatant my foot! It wasn't even called on a wr but a lineman. The old guy didn't even throw it until the runner was 8 yards downfield.

It's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about and only embarassing yourself. There was a blatant hold on the outside and if the ref didn't call that one, then maybe he saw another. I think the older fella just couldn't throw the flag that far.

On to Laverne yet?

Forgotten about the blatant pass interference when the Blackman wr had the db beaten and got tackled. The ref on the Brentwood sideline was TERRIBLE all night. Same guy that should have stopped the clock on the long run late. I guess he forgot his flag AND whistle last night.

The fumble could go either way. Most high school crews will blow that down. Didn't have a good look at so can't say.

As I said, on to Lavergne.

If the runners forward progress is stoped you can say it's not a fumble. However if the ball comes out with the runner moving forward and he's not down... It's a fumble. And that's what I thought I saw. :popcorneater:

But I been wrong before and as I said it didn't cost Blackman the game.

All we need to do to beat Lavergne is get I'Tavius Mathers back on the field. Remember... NO PONY, NO WINNIE. :rolleyes: