Westmoreland Head Coaching Search

LeatherBalls

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A coach by the last name of Popavich who played for Army in college and is now an offensive coordinator for a highschool in New York has applied for the job. Many people are very interested in this coaching job from what I'm hearing. Beech has many ties to Westmoreland so I would say a couple of their coaches and former coaches are interested. One of which is already an assistant for Westmoreland at the present time. As far as the comment about former coach looking over your shoulder, I can assure you that it would not be coach Kelly. I'm sure he would assist the new coach in any way he could without interferring. I feel that Mr. Duffer whom I still refer to as coach Duffer will be a good boss for any football coach who decides to call Westmoreland their home. Mr. Duffer did coach for and play for the Westmoreland football program. Who ever gets the job will be taking over some good talent coming back from a hard fought season last year. Coach Kelly done an excellent job to straighten out a mess that had been made in the season that the other coach had. I feel that Westmoreland can compete the next 2 to 4 years if we can get a good leader at the helm.

A coach by the last name of Popavich who played for Army in college and is now an offensive coordinator for a highschool in New York has applied for the job. Many people are very interested in this coaching job from what I'm hearing. Beech has many ties to Westmoreland so I would say a couple of their coaches and former coaches are interested. One of which is already an assistant for Westmoreland at the present time. As far as the comment about former coach looking over your shoulder, I can assure you that it would not be coach Kelly. I'm sure he would assist the new coach in any way he could without interferring. I feel that Mr. Duffer whom I still refer to as coach Duffer will be a good boss for any football coach who decides to call Westmoreland their home. Mr. Duffer did coach for and play for the Westmoreland football program. Who ever gets the job will be taking over some good talent coming back from a hard fought season last year. Coach Kelly done an excellent job to straighten out a mess that had been made in the season that the other coach had. I feel that Westmoreland can compete the next 2 to 4 years if we can get a good leader at the helm.

the only coach responsible for the "mess" they are in right now is coach Kelly. :ph34r: he CANNOT and will not take his nose out of the program, (anyone that read the article in the paper can see that) Westmoreland will not get a good coach becuase they WILL NOT allow him to hire his own staff... he will be forced to work with Kelly and his staff or not at all. the only way Westmoreland will be successful is to hire the assistant you mentioned or hire an ex coach that played under kelly so he can be a puppet for the master. kelly cant win in the new classification and niether will anyone else until you clean house. "coach" Duffer will not hire anyone with an independent mind becuase he was under kelly as well.

i hope they find a good one on staff... i think Akins would be a good one and can turn the place around.

Go EAGLES! cant wait for the season to come back around.

good luck with the "search"

I have heard an Assistant Head Coach from a high school in Orlando, FL has applied for the job. Would be interesting to see this...Why he would move here is beyond me.. :popcorneater:

I have heard, but not sure of this, that somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 people have applied for this job. Does not surprise me with the way employment is these days.

I have heard an Assistant Head Coach from a high school in Orlando, FL has applied for the job. Would be interesting to see this...Why he would move here is beyond me.. :popcorneater:

Just my opinion, I would be very skeptical of someone willing to move in from that far away. I have seen Shoulders from RBS mentioned a few times on this thread. While I may be biased because he comes from our region, which I feel like is one of the tougher regions for our classification (TC, FC Sweatervest, G-Ville, etc.) Shoulders has evolved that program at RBS! I try to make it a point to watch other games involving our region during the season when TC plays on the road. I have had the pleasure of watching RBS over the last couple of years and have been very impressed with them, complete different ball club than they were a few years ago. Shoulders seemed to take over possibly the worst situation possible in RBS and in a short time has developed them into a competitor. I think Westmoreland would be a perfect fit for Shoulders, I would be excited to see what he could do with a more level playing field of talent at Westmoreland opposed to RBS. At the same time I think Shoulders would be a great fit for Westmoreland too, because of his experience and results with a lot less talent and the fact of him being local. I would be more than supportive if one day TC decided to hire him, I think he is that much of a quality coach. Good luck with your coaching search. TC1

Just my opinion, I would be very skeptical of someone willing to move in from that far away. I have seen Shoulders from RBS mentioned a few times on this thread. While I may be biased because he comes from our region, which I feel like is one of the tougher regions for our classification (TC, FC Sweatervest, G-Ville, etc.) Shoulders has evolved that program at RBS! I try to make it a point to watch other games involving our region during the season when TC plays on the road. I have had the pleasure of watching RBS over the last couple of years and have been very impressed with them, complete different ball club than they were a few years ago. Shoulders seemed to take over possibly the worst situation possible in RBS and in a short time has developed them into a competitor. I think Westmoreland would be a perfect fit for Shoulders, I would be excited to see what he could do with a more level playing field of talent at Westmoreland opposed to RBS. At the same time I think Shoulders would be a great fit for Westmoreland too, because of his experience and results with a lot less talent and the fact of him being local. I would be more than supportive if one day TC decided to hire him, I think he is that much of a quality coach. Good luck with your coaching search. TC1

I will be honest, my buddy knows the Florida guy and told me family was just looking to possibly relocate, why leave that weather I don't know, but if I have learned anything from football I see Florida sure does produce athletes year in and year out as well as Texas. Can't say I know shoulders well, but I am sure he's more than capable of the job. I don't think it matters where a guy is from but as long as he's qualified. Not a big fan of the good ole boy hiring philosophy....

I will be honest, my buddy knows the Florida guy and told me family was just looking to possibly relocate, why leave that weather I don't know, but if I have learned anything from football I see Florida sure does produce athletes year in and year out as well as Texas. Can't say I know shoulders well, but I am sure he's more than capable of the job. I don't think it matters where a guy is from but as long as he's qualified. Not a big fan of the good ole boy hiring philosophy....

If willing to relocate that far away (Florida or New York) now, would worry me of them wanting to relocate again in the near future and putting you back in the situation you are in now. Look at the successful programs around including Westmoreland, I think the reason for their success is the stability they have had as head coach. Westmoreland's last hire was a guy off from there that nobody knew anything about and that didn't workout to good. I have no idea if Shoulders is even interested in this job, but to me he makes a great candidate because I feel he could offer Westmoreland with that type of stability and give the program and community someone that they could depend on. At the same time, I would hate to see him leave RBS because I would hate to see them go back to the way they were before he came. BTW, I agree 100% with you on your comment " Not a big fan of the good ole boy hiring philosophy" Good luck and as always, TC1

Edited by SMACK