Powell @ Oak Ridge 4-20-12

ORbaseball

Wow, what a game if you like pitching! Lane for Oak Ridge and D. Owenby and Skeen for Powell were awesome last night. Had the gun out on Lane and Owenby in first inning; Lane hit 88mph, and Owenby 89mph. I'm certain each of them touched 90 as the game went on and the adrenaline was pumping. I think both starters gave up two hits, including lead-off triples. The difference was Oak Ridge's lead-off triple came from their #5 hitter, and Owenby had an easier path to get out of trouble than Lane, whose lead-off triple was given up to the younger Owenby as their #1 hitter (who scored on a sacrifice fly). Fantastic game by all the pitchers involved. Owenby is definitely gonna see action early on at UT with that level of pitching, and likely an MLB draft pick for late rounds if he puts his name in that hat; 90mph and lefty is a rarity. Lane has more than a half-dozen D1 schools looking at him seriously now; with more performances like that against quality teams like Powell, he could get some serious looks from SEC schools as well, especially being a young (won't be 17 'til late May) Junior and another Summer of showcase ball coming up for him. I would love to see this match-up again at district tournament, but it will take some work for Oak Ridge to get there being a lower seed (likely #4 seed).

Wow, what a game if you like pitching! Lane for Oak Ridge and D. Owenby and Skeen for Powell were awesome last night. Had the gun out on Lane and Owenby in first inning; Lane hit 88mph, and Owenby 89mph. I'm certain each of them touched 90 as the game went on and the adrenaline was pumping. I think both starters gave up two hits, including lead-off triples. The difference was Oak Ridge's lead-off triple came from their #5 hitter, and Owenby had an easier path to get out of trouble than Lane, whose lead-off triple was given up to the younger Owenby as their #1 hitter (who scored on a sacrifice fly). Fantastic game by all the pitchers involved. Owenby is definitely gonna see action early on at UT with that level of pitching, and likely an MLB draft pick for late rounds if he puts his name in that hat; 90mph and lefty is a rarity. Lane has more than a half-dozen D1 schools looking at him seriously now; with more performances like that against quality teams like Powell, he could get some serious looks from SEC schools as well, especially being a young (won't be 17 'til late May) Junior and another Summer of showcase ball coming up for him. I would love to see this match-up again at district tournament, but it will take some work for Oak Ridge to get there being a lower seed (likely #4 seed).

I was very impressed with Jordan Lane (Oak Ridge) the other night. He went all 7 innings and held Powell to 1 run on 3 hits and had 9 Ks. He kept the Panthers off balance all night long. Powell got the much needed win 1-0 behind the pitching of Drake Owenby (5IP, 2 hits, 9 Ks) and Colby Skeen (2 IP, 0 hits, 4 Ks). That was the first time I have had the chance to see Lane pitch. It will be a tough draw to have to play Oak Ridge first round of the 3AAA tourney.