State Jr. Qualifying 16s -18s- Sunday Results

bbb

CHATTANOOGA - The top four seeds in each of four divisions all won round of 16 matches Sunday in the USTA Tennessee State Junior Qualifying for Boys' and Girls 16s and 18s.

Due to rain Sunday morning, matches were played at Baylor, McCallie and UTC instead of the Champions Club in Rivermont.

Monday's Schedule - Starting at 7:30 a.m. with quarterfinal doubles play in Boys 16s and Girls 18s, .. all matches will be played at the Champions Club, championship and consolation brackets ...

Note: - Boys 18s and Girls 16s are through to the semis and will play those matches at 4:30 p.m. along with other semis doubles ...

Championship finals in all four divisions are scheduled for Tuesday morning at Champions.

For Complete Bracket Results: go to usta.com ... tennis link ... USTA Junior Tournaments

ID# is 704223513

Sunday Results For Top 4 Seeds

Boys 16s Singles

(1) Steven Karl def. Josh Woodham, 6-1 6-1

(2) Brent Apple def. (9) Brentym Shrum, 6-1, 6-3

(3) Philip Johnston def. Charles Jabaley (Notre Dame), 6-2, 6-2

(4) Adam Rudowski def. Chad Woodham, 6-0, 6-1

Monday Quarterfinals - 9:30 a.m. (all 8 seeded players advanced)

Player Notes: (1) Steven Karl (Ravenwood HS) is younger brother of three-time TSSAA D-I AAA state singles champion, Sean Karl ... Sean was diagnosed with cancer in the fall, but is on the way to recovery and plans to enroll at Tennessee in the fall and has a tennis scholarship ...

Girls 16s Singles

(1) Claire Sullivan def. Mallissaa Sirimoungkhons,6-3, 6-1

(2) Josie Rogers def. Divya Agarwai, 6-0, 6-0

(3) Carmen Saab def. Nithya Kanagasegar 6-2, 6-1

(4) Skylar McDonald def. Bailey Apple, 6-0, 6-0

Monday Quarterfinals - 10:30 a.m. (all 8 seeded players advanced)

Player Notes: Claire Sullivan (Memphis) won the TSSAA D-II A-AA state doubles title for St. George's last week at Spring Fling XX ... this week she is playing 16s doubles with Danni Vines ... they are in the 16s doubles semis Monday afternoon ...

Skylar McDonald is a rising 10th grader at Fayetteville HS and last week won her second straight TSSAA A-AA state singles championship

Josie Rogers has yet to lose a game in two matches

Monday Quarterfinals: 10:30 a.m. (all 8 seeded players advanced)

Boys 18s Singles

(1) Jarryd Woog def. Jackson Gwinn, 6-1, 6-2

(2) Andrew Graham (Nashville/MBA) def. Jacob Birnbaum, 6-3, 6-2

(3) Andy Druffle def. Jake Bolling, 6-0, 6-0

(4) Cody Gubin (Memphis/McCallie School) def. Carson Panovec, 6-0, 6-3

Monday Quarterfinals - 9:30 a.m.( 7 of the 8 seeds advanced)

Girls 18s Singles

(1) Samantha Caswell (Baylor) def. Elizabeth Clayton, 6-1, 6-1

(2) Anna Feaster (GPS) def. Hannah Shoener, 6-2, 6-3

(3) Orma Womeodu def. Emily Holloway, 6-1 6-1

(4) Danni Vines def. Dominica Rollhauser, 6-3, 6-0

Monday Quarterfinals - 10 a.m. (all 8 seeded players advanced)

Player Notes: top-seeded Samantha Caswell has forfeited her quarterfinal match to here sister, Harper Caswell (a No.5 seed) ... Samantha, who has won two TSSAA D-II AA singles titles, wants to rest a recently injured ankle in preparation for the Southern Closed in two weeks ...

Samantha has won the State Qualifying 10s, 12s, 14s and 16s ... in the 10s, she won the title without losing a game ... she hopes to qualify for the 18s nationals in San Diego as many college coaches will be there ... a rising senior at Baylor, Samantha is looking at several colleges including Louisville, Kentucky, TCU and East Carolina and plans to study nursing ...

Vines Playing Up: 14-year-old Danni Vines (Elizabethton) is playing up two age divisions in singles and playing in the 16s in doubles with Claire Sullivan ...

Vines has been home-schooled the past two years, but plans to enroll in Elizabethon HS in the fall and play for the high school team next spring ... she is a 4.0 student and has won two national open doubles titles ... was runner-up in the National 12s Clay Courts doubles ... won the Tenn. State Qualifying 14s in 2011 and placed 5th in the Southerns ...

Busy Schedule ... Vines will stay in town after Tuesday's finals and play in the TVOC Women's Open which starts Wednesday at Manker Patten

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net