DCA @ St. George's - Semi-Finals

thegood

...I would think that this is going to be addressed with the TSSAA.

They made the rule and uphold it. page 8 tssaa handbook

Cooperative Programs

Section 6. Two member schools may petition TSSAA annually for permission to have a cooperative program in

any sport if one of the schools does not have that program and has not had that program for the last five years.

The Executive Director of TSSAA may approve such cooperative programs subject to approval by principal of

schools involved, the governing board of the schools involved, and the Board of Control.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They made the rule and uphold it. page 8 tssaa handbook

Cooperative Programs

Section 6. Two member schools may petition TSSAA annually for permission to have a cooperative program in

any sport if one of the schools does not have that program and has not had that program for the last five years.

The Executive Director of TSSAA may approve such cooperative programs subject to approval by principal of

schools involved, the governing board of the schools involved, and the Board of Control.

Not a problem.  Now, accept their enrollment.

Edited by orangecrush

I completely agree Fbboys.  My stance is that public school kids that attend a school that does not offer football should not be punished.  Those kids have no choice on where they go due to zoning or socioeconomic circumstances.  A private school is entirely different, also, I am a private school guy.  When a parent sends his or her child to a private school they have a choice and know that they don't offer a particular sport.  I am for the TSSAA not allowing a private school to co-op with any school, but if they do then they must except their enrollment numbers.

So MJCA obviously has a distinct advantage too, since they co-op with McClain Christian?

So MJCA obviously has a distinct advantage too, since they co-op with McClain Christian?

You are intelligent enough to understand the difference.  378 student/athletes to maybe 30-40 student/athletes.  Big difference would you not say?  Also, the TSSAA is not consistent on this.  They classify sports based on the student body the program has to choose from to form their team.  It is not the case with the co-op schools. 

Also, I know for a fact that FC called the TSSAA about McClain co-oping with them.  Now, they did not want to do it, but rather they wanted to hear their response based on another ruling the TSSAA made on co-oping.  The TSSAA said that they believed MJCA needed it more for their program than FC, therefore, those kids would go there.  Two problems, the ruling was inconsistent because previously the TSSAA did not allow a bowler from Gordonsville to bowl with FC because other schools between the two  offered bowling.  FC is closer to McClain than MJCA.  Second, the TSSAA should not be in the business of determining which programs should receive help over others. 

Edited by orangecrush

You are intelligent enough to understand the difference.  378 student/athletes to maybe 30-40 student/athletes.  Big difference would you not say?  Also, the TSSAA is not consistent on this.  They classify sports based on the student body the program has to choose from to form their team.  It is not the case with the co-op schools. 

So once those numbers are similar to the DCA/USN numbers and MJCA is relevant in football, then it becomes an advantage? You realize you are making this sound like you are just upset because DCA is winning and you're an upset FC fan/supporter. Principle is principle.

I'm sure TSSAA with put an asterik in there for you at the bottom to "except (read accept) their enrollment."

I thought we were having a healthy debate over this topic, which I don't have a problem with you personally or DCA.  For some reason you are getting mad and taking pop shots at me for the second time.  Don't get upset over this issue and be the grammar/spelling police. It is petty and demonstrates that you are losing the debate.

...Also, I know for a fact that FC called the TSSAA about McClain co-oping with them.  Now, they did not want to do it, but rather they wanted to hear their response based on another ruling the TSSAA made on co-oping.  The TSSAA said that they believed MJCA needed it more for their program than FC, therefore, those kids would go there.  Two problems, the ruling was inconsistent because previously the TSSAA did not allow a bowler from Gordonsville to bowl with FC because other schools between the two  offered bowling.  FC is closer to McClain than MJCA.  Second, the TSSAA should not be in the business of determining which programs should receive help over others. 

Now the real reason comes out. Friendship couldn't have McClain so nobody should get any cookies...?? Alterior motives are the driving force. Get over it. And nobody is losing a debate. There is no debate being had. The TSSAA has a rule in place and that is fact. You are just exercising your 1st amendment right to run your pie hole. If you want to consider yourself a "debate" winner, then by all means, take the podium and congratulations!

There are many other (and more important) factors besides football that go into choosing a school. I'd imagine that most parents take these factors into account when choosing a school before they consider the presence/lack of a football program.

Either way, parents have the decision of which school to enroll their kid in, but they don't really have a say on whether their kid plays football or not. So, if a parent wants to enroll their kid in USN, they have every right to do so, regardless of whether or not that kid wants to play football. Now, let's say that the kid wants to play football; prior to the DCA-USN coop, this USN student would have never had an opportunity to play football (as long as his parents kept him at USN). So, the co-op gives USN students who want to play football an opportunity to play football, and shame on whoever says that that isn't a good thing.

I can understand the frustration when it comes to classification; it seems like DCA has a major advantage over everyone else since they have about twice as many "students to choose from." While it may seem like that, it is far from the truth. The USN student body does not have the same interest in football as other high schools. Consistently, USN has sent DCA 5 students (maybe 6) maximum to play with the Wildcats. Add that to a consistent 30-35 or fewer from DCA and you have a very normal sized high school team. The advantage that DCA gets, as far as number of fieldable players goes, is nonexistent. That being said, a co-op team's number of "student's to choose from" cannot be calculated by simply adding the enrollment of the two individual high schools. This would produce an inflated number that doesn't actually reflect the amount of players that the school has playing. Co-ops are a special case when it comes to classification, and the TSSAA has decided to handle it by using the enrollment of the host school. Which, I believe, makes a lot of sense.

Now, if it ever reached the point where USN were sending 15+ students, I would see the problem. That isn't happening now, though, so I don't see where advantage actually lies. 

Wow, a plethora of response to an obviously touchy subject if your a DCA fan.

I'd have to say if the recipient co-op school is getting 1 quality player then they're at an advantage much less 5-6 per year. That's almost 20% of dca's team.

I love football and, like orange crush, would hate to see any young man miss an opportunity to enjoy it and the life lessons learned from competing in it. However, if you receive those players then you should likewise have to count the enrollment numbers. I still can't understand why USN kids would be sent 30 miles across town to Donelson rather than down the street to MBA, Ryan, OR ANY NUMBER OF OTHER SCHOOLS CLOSER.

So once those numbers are similar to the DCA/USN numbers and MJCA is relevant in football, then it becomes an advantage? You realize you are making this sound like you are just upset because DCA is winning and you're an upset FC fan/supporter. Principle is principle.

this has nothing to do with winning. If memory serves me correctly FC hung half a hundred earlier this yr on DCA and nearly did the same last yr. Both were FC varsity wins. Not to mention the results of FC 5-6th & 7-8th teams dominance this yr as well vs the wildcats. How's that for principle? If you truly are the "sack master" maybe you can help dca's defense.