upper east tn girls

Guest madhandles

Guest madhandles

Obviously, you have your favorites. But, unfortunately you don't know much about girls basketball in East Tennessee. The first, and most obvious omission to your report, is the Unaka Lady Rangers. With a 6-1 record, destruction of Cosby, and the beating of other AA & AAA teams, they should not only be mentioned by you and/or your paper, but should be considered one of the few teams to make it back to the Sub-State.

Secondly, Happy Valley is undisciplined and not too much of a threat to anyone in their conference. Brandy Dugger can only go to the right and could be considered a ball-hog.

Unicoi beat Unaka to death, but shooting 70% from the field and shooting 35 FT could overvalue that win. They turned right around and lost to Volunteer the next night. They have no guards and their physical play will eventually get them in foul trouble.

Elizabethton could be good and could be bad. I agree Baughman is good. However, to say she is the real deal is a bit premature considering exceptional players make their teammates perform at a higher level. This is not the case at Elizabethton. They have no post players.

Science Hill is, also, up & down. Dill is great. The rest of the team gets caught watching her play which will lead to problems if she is either shut down or fouled out.

Cloudland is good and, also, should be considered a probable for the Sub-State. Shut Hanson down and they tend to have problems. Storie only goes left and fouls way too much. But, they tend to play as Hanson plays. If you can figure out how to contain her (as Boone did) you have a good chance of beating them.

Boone is the only team that I agree 100% with you. Coach Campbell does a great job. Watching them this summer, you can tell they are a "TEAM". What every coach would like to have develop. Whether they can go to the State or not depends on health and togetherness.

Guest doctorrx

Alisha Dill has signed to play with Coastal Carolina. Yes she is a one woman team. Will the Lady Toppers get it all together and form a real team? Probably not. The head coach is content to play Alisha-Ball and let the others coast. As Alisha goes, so go the Toppers. It's a shame but the Toppers actually have some great sophomores coming up. If the coach will incorporate them into the game plan, they will be excellent down the road.

Guest greenefatman

I think Greeneville is far above the rest of the competition in East Tennessee (besides Oak Ridge and Sevier County of course). They are undefeated so far and show no signs of slowing down. They already have taken out Sevier County (defending state champs), Jeff County, South Greene, and SH at the Palace and their gonna whip DB tomorrow night at heck Henard. Look for the Devils come tournament time. Go Big Greene! :D