UTC vs Illinois & Dan Gable

sly

UTC will be wrestling No.4 ranked Illinois today at 2pm at McClellan Gym. We hope there is a large turn out for todays match. Also, Dan Gable will attend the match and will meet and speak with wrestling fans after the match. Should be a great day for wrestling fans.

[Edited by sly on 1-18-03 10:20A]

Not being a wordsmith; my attempt to recapture this afternoon will fall short. How proud I was of the Tri-State wrestling community for turning out in full force - a fine demonstation of support. There had to be at least 3000 in attendance for this memorable event - from Middle-Tennessee, North Georgia, et al.

I wish I had taken notes. One could not imagine a tale like this in a storybook. The air was fraught with excitement - aticipation intense.

UTC fought their hearts out - a text book example of guts and character. Surely, the number 4 team in the nation left the shadow of Lookout Mountain with a little more respect. Terry Brands has been heard.

After the wrestling ended, Dan Gable addressed the cheering crowd. Coach Gable impressed the wrestling faithful with his message. Even if you never wrestled, you'd want to.

Anyway, be pleased to know how good our area looked this afternoon across the country. If you think Chattanooga looks good now...just wait! Go Mocs!

It was truly a great day for Chattanooga Wrestling. There were several great matches and great wrestling all around. Dan Gable was very motivating in his speach. It also appears to me that the wrestling Mocs out drew most Moc football games.

Though not a win, congratulations to Terry Brands and his team on a great showing aganst a formidable oponent. There will be plenty of victories ahead.

[Edited by mtnrasslin on 1-18-03 6:58P]

Today, as a wrestler, I witnessed something very special. The amateur wrestlers got the opportunity to meet Dan Gable, the greatest Collegiate wrestler ever. Dan Gable spoke after the match for a brief period, but was very inspiring. Just the opportunity to hear this legend speak was a highlight of the year for me.

UTC vs. Illinois:

UTC looked pretty prepared for this match. Illinois didn't look that prepared, even though the score doesn't show, Illinois is not that tough. Their #1 guy Matt Locke was sucking air before the 3rd period. He was still able to get the win. But I'd like to say congradulations to

Matt Pitts(UTC), and Harris(UTC).....these two wrestlers looked very good. Some of the UTC wrestlers looked kinda sluggish out there though. I don't know the guy's name, but he got like 5 stalling calls, and had to forfeit the match late in the 3rd, Brands had some words as he walked of the mat. UTC looks kinda slow of bottom. (on belly alot)

Brands:

It is exciting watching Brands coach on the side of the UTC wrestling mat. He is the "real deal." He really gets involved in the matches and jumps around, and is just fun watching him coach. Brands was standing by the door and he welcomed some people as they came through. Well-mannered coach, and polite. I hope Brands stays at UTC for a good while, because he will attract alot of talent.

Eslinger:

Eslinger is something else out there. He looked pretty good out on the mat. Heath had about 3 good takedowns on his opponent(can't spell his name). Heath looked real good in the 2nd period. I'm sure Coach Brands and Coach Logsdon(Bradley) was proud of him.

High School Teams:

It was good to see the highschool teams there today. I'm sure Gable enjoyed seeing the amateurs. I know Father Ryan's, the Dunnings were there. Soddy's whole team was there. Bradley's whole team was there. Notre Dame had some wrestlers, along with Red Bank, Franklin, LFO, and Hixson had a couple.

Like someone said, it was a real good day for Chattanooga wrestling. It was a real treat today, and I'm sure the wrestlers enjoyed it. I know I did.

- Tike