MHS at Soddy Tournament

SprtMom

What a great weekend! Although the Lady Rebels did not win the tournament they had a very rewarding experience that will only help them later on into the state qualifiers.

Hats off to Coach Hawkins and Coach Norris. Both of them truly care about the girls and do everything they can to help them improve.

Maryville's fan support comes directly from the players parents, grandparents and siblings. They are a great group of folks and truly love to watch the Lady Rebels.

Let all of us be thankful for our wonderful lives and thank God everyday for how he has blessed us.

Watching these young ladies give their best and knowing that they will mature into beautiful and contributing members of society makes me very proud.

Thanks Coach Hawkins and Norris for your contribution into their lifes. Words cannot express our appreciation. :)

Yes, it was a good tournament but I don't think that MHS played their best ball. At times they appeared to be tired (out of shape?) and could not capitalize on their advantages. Although they have a very young team, they have tremendous team speed, but do not know how to run the bases. They just looked disjointed and out of synch.

As for the adminstration of the tournament, it was not run as well as some people portray. MHS had a two hour game delay, which didn't start until almost 11:30 PM, because the tournament director refused to ask a team to play back-to-back. Which makes no sense, because the teams do this all the time.

The lighting on most of the fields was atrocious and almost dangerous. The infields had pitching mounds on them and the lack of proper screens between fields made it feel like you were in a war zone with all of the balls flying around from other fields. Forget about the restroom facility. At one point, many of the girls were using the men's restroom because the ladies room was always full and very very dirty!

I hope the Soddy Daisy people take some of the money that they made from this weekend's tournament and spend it on the fields and facilities. I know that many of the Soddy folks will try to deny these claims about the facility, but if you want to get better, rather than just getting richer, please do something to improve this complex and the leadership of the tournament. It will be better for the girls and will pay off in the end.

I don't think the Soddy people need me to defend them, but it is worth noting that the field on which they play and the other fields at the Soddy Lake complex are not owned by the people who put on this tournament. I think they are owned by the city of Soddy-Daisy.

Your observations are valid, but the people who ran this tourney had their hands tied on some of the things you mentioned.

SS17,

You are probably correct, I do think that the complex is owned by someone either than the people who put on the tournament.

But, if the people who use the facility don't ask for improvments, I doubt they would ever happen. I appreciate you for pointing out the facts and just hope that they will do everything possible to make it better for the young ladies and their supporters.

Supersteve is correct. The city of Soddy Daisy owns and mantains the facility. The Soddy Daisy High School softball team just plays it's games there. It's not the best complex in the world but it is better than alot we've been to over the years. Lebanon wishes they played there!