AAU & YBOA REFEREES

With all of the emphasis that is placed on the girls AAU & YBOA organizations, one would think that the quality of referees would match the importance of the events. Why would at the AAU sub-state level there be 3 referees, and at the state level there only be 2? One would think that the quality would increase as the calibur of teams and players increased. It is sad that a referee with an attitude can control who wins or loses a game not the talent of the girls that play. I thought AAU & YBOA were organizations that were a cut above the rest, and that this was where we wanted our girls to play. I know the effort, time and energy that is put into the making of these teams. Maybe as much effort, time and energy should be put into the quality and fairness of these substate and state qualifiers. Maybe AAU & YBOA are not really all that.

All that I have seen in the last 5 or so weeks of sub-state and state tourney play is lazey mechanics. That means, out of position and not very professional looking. A few have been very thin skined, ejecting some for questioning a call in a loud manner, and allowing others calling them SOBs to remain. Maybe those, wear their title, proudly. The only two that can be considered local have very good props. and good mechanics. One has been calling bball for thirty+ years, calls it the same day after day, if you see him call one game, every game after that will be called the same way. The other is truely local, in that she played her High School ball and her Collage ball, all in Putnam Co. Neither stinks up to the fans, and both are poker faced after their calls. ;)

Edited by jimbo44

The specific game that I am concerned about, the ref didn't even call the same from one minute to the next. There is no way that you can say that the refs were fair when one team has 35 fouls, 21 which were in the second half by the way, and the other team had 15. It doesn't matter whether the refs have been calling ball for thirty + years. If they stink, they stink. If they don't like the response they get from the fans and/ or parents, maybe they need to take a good look at what they're doing. Why can't parents and fans question a call? Maybe it's the refs skin that is thin.