What TN Football should aspire to be!

DaVinci22

Parkview High School and Brookwood High School are in a relatively small suburb if Atlanta, yet somehow they manage to have the top 2 teams in the state year in and year out.... even though there are supposedly better athletes all over the rest of the area, these 2 teams handle them year in and year out.... not only that, but Their Rivalry is insane just read about it :AJC.com . I mean does anyone in TN have the kind of Passion that this gamebrings let me know about it b/c i would love to hear which games are the ones to watch around our state!

Da'V, I agree completely Brook' has the only shot...maybe if they meet again in 5A final. I've got to go to Chicago for Lenox (Providence) game...sorry to miss PV game. Sincerely like to see PV travel to Panhandle, Shreveport, or at least Charlotte (45 versus 45 at Independence)...better yet, Riverdale (the premier TN program, sorry MBA)! Someone at PV thinks a pressbox is more important than sending the Panthers to Orlando or Oakland Colsieum to support the #2 ranking. Go Spartans, Archbishop Mitty is no pushover. DLS, DLS, DLS!

64TNChamp, I enjoy your posts...good to see your perspective on football outisde of Tennessee (and occasionally inside Tennessee). I have a few questions for you:

1. What do you do? Are you a scout, or are you involved in some sort of high school football magazine or website or recruiting service?

2. How do the pollsters (let's use USA Today for example) miss it on teams like Trinity (KY) and Bethlehem Catholic (PA)? Granted, even the "experts" on the college level make mistakes (Auburn comes to mind), but one has to wonder how much they really knew about THS and BC. Granted, Trinity has some major star power (Brohm), and perhaps they truly were awesome last year and the euphoria carried over to this year, but one has to wonder how the experts missed out assessing this year's team (granted, 2 of their 3 losses have been to strong teams). As for BC, I know nothing about them, but USA Today said they lost their first two games both by 30+ points. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the "experts", but one has to wonder if the experts put more stock in prior year(s)' results and do less preseason analysis on the front end.

3. The premier program in Tennessee...OK, I'm biased towards MBA, and MBA did handle the Warriors this year in a scrimmage at Riverdale (21-7, I believe), but my bias aside, why Riverdale? I certainly think they are a deserving candidate, but I'd like to hear the criteria on which you base that claim. As much as it pains me to say it, I have always considered Brentwood Academy to be the premier program in TN, although their drought in Division II and MBA's dominance of BA (7-2 in DII play) and DII as a whole (5 of 6 DII title game appearances, 4 DII titles) has certainly taken some of the shine off of BA.

4. Parkview...I remember on an earlier thread (see below) you said you thought MBA could beat Parkview. Do you still believe so? What other schools in TN could match up with them?

Parkview Thread

Thanks again for the feedback.

I will tell you this... while Parkview doesn't always have the best athletes they always wn... its somehting in the water down in Lilburn... and while you say Buford handled Parkview in the 3rd quarter.. who won the scrimmage? PKv and yeah Buford is a smaller school but they are drawing from the same Talent Laiden area... right now Gwinnett Co. is what South Ga used to be

ROLLREDROLL,

HS FOOTBALL is just a hobby...actually if I had my druthers, I'd like to be the guy who sits in the top of the Sands or on Captiva making the weekly HS line. I'm currently in the Apple Outlet on Michigan Ave. in Chicago awaiting the New Lenox (Providence) game tomorrow night (USAToday #16 and '02 IL, 6AChamp). My girlfriend drug me up here--my preferred weekend would be in Tulsa for Jenks's resurrection vs. Union; or Lincoln vs. Edgewater (there's a wonderful bistro right across the street from EHS that did me right, post-Eagle defeat of Palm Bay (Melbourne,FL).

I saw the Trinity game (for all you Parkviewers, I wore Rivera's #32 game jersey to the MBA game)...PV simply is due...they lost their modus operandi: 3 D1, 280lb. great offensive linemen and #12 is hitting singles rather than HS free safties). I also caught Lufkin's win vs. Katy this year and must say their league is stronger the the Elder,Moellar,et.al.

Roll, you are probably right: my Riverdale tout was based solely on the Syrma game film and the almost yearly ######-kicking they administer to my pt-alma-mater, DB. I thought the defensive scheme vs. Trinity was genius, and 42, 47, and 12 the kinda guy DLS covets. I haven't seen enough TN football to make the comparisons I made.

I do think the DLS streak will end soon although three skilled players have legit 4.3-somethings. I personally though the Poly game in Berkeley last year was the most complete HS coaching gem I have seen since the great DB teams of the late-50's rolled into Johnson City. That includes the movie-memoralized '87 Charley Weidermeir-coached CCS Championship, Los Gatos vs. the ignominous Saint Francis (Mark Chillaba blocked a St.F FG at game's end to salvage ALS-ravaged coach who whispered plays to wife from life support sideline golf cart who in turn gave to QB)..."One More Season," 4 stars, check it out.

DLS's schedule is full of landmines: La Costa Canyon (San Diego) scored more points on DLS than any other last year and ran up 52 Friday. I know the Palma program initimately and they are tough Salinas kids who have played together for this moment. As to the previous post Re: DLS "dodging" "failing to prove..." PLEASE. I seen 5 or the 7 losses for DLS since 1982. I was there when Amani Toomer couldn't get it done vs. Regan Upshaw and Pittsburg HS. I saw Aaron Taylor "not" make holes in the St.Francis defense. I saw Mater Dei get rung up for their largest historical loss by a soph.QB would managed the pressure of 100-streak by throwing 6 TD's vs. the most illustrious program in S.CA history! PLEASE!

Bottom line: Friday Nite! Let's Get it ON! I salute your team, whomever; I'll ogle your cheerleaders; and I'll munch for stadium food--AND, I'll toast your VICTORY!

Tn Champo.. i gotta say you are the man!! .. im not taking anything away from de la salle ... and yeah it is sad that good ole francoeur is playing baseball now instead of being a stud at clemson but lets face it... he would have been great at either sport he just chose his passion... as for these other teams i knwo i don't knwo as much as you so im not even going to try and fake it.... however i wish each year there was a way to ahve each of the top 20 programs in the nation duel it out or maybe even just th top programs from each state i don't knwo how it would even be possible b/c right now these ranking systems are a joke and any of these teams could be called overrated

I live in Gwinnett county where Brookwood and Parkview are. First of all, it's not a small suburb... unless you call 400,000 residents small. Second, both of those programs along with Buford, Collins Hill, and Dacula have excellent feeder programs. They build their programs from the ground up beginning with the Pee Wee leagues and up. As far as Parkview being overrated, that's BS. You don't put up 40+ wins in a row from underachieving. They are solid. BTW, Brookwood did beat Parkview tonight. It was 28-21 Brookwood late... Parkview was pinned back on their own 1 when their Parkview QB Faulker threw an interception for a TD to ice it off 35-21 Brookwood. Incidentally, I watched Collins Hill beat Dacula tonight.

I'm totally biased when it comes to Tennessee HS football, because I come from there. But, the quality of football down here is unlike anything I have ever seen at the 5A level. I don't think a Chattanooga area 5A team could hang with any of these schools down here. I can't speak for any other 5A schools in TN. I am amazed at the quality of football down here. You can tell these guys are coached very well and they have a great support system. You booster clubs could learn a few things from these guys down here.