Matt Spencer (Morristown West)

baseballninja

I recently read 1st player in Tn that will be drafted in the MLB Draft on June 6. Well, folks, it will be Morristown West's Matt Spencer. His name wasn't even mentioned in the post. Simply ask the scouts (all 28 teams represented can be found hovering over Spencer). He hit 94 on the radar against Jefferson County with national scouts and cross-checkers in attendance. He has 17 home runs (bombs) this year and is batting .570

Scouts have him projected 1st-4th round. 6'4, 215 lbs. He was recently named to the Fox Sports 2004 All-American Team for his accomplishments this year.

During the seventh inning, he was throwing 90 on Monday night.

His past three games his strikeout totals have been; 18 k's, 17 k's, and 16 k's against strong teams.

You might want to turn your attention to the big lefty in Motown.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you'll check back on another post (Best in E.TN) I mentioned Matt Spencer as the possible 1st.......again 1st or whatever, he is a quality ballpayer and a great young man. If he goes pro he will continued to be developed......if he goes to UNC he will be developed + a great student athlete. Good luck whichever way you go "Mo-town." And congrats to Gary and Sharon as well.

You won't hear any argument from me. I am a big fan of Spencer. However, I think he topped out at about 91 and consistently from about 87-90 on Monday and his BA is closer to .560. Also, I was aware that he has been chosen as a Sportslink All-American which will be announced tomorrow. This is the same group that selects the U.S. Army All-American game in football. There will be an All-American game in June in Albequerque, NM televised on Fox Sports Net. Congratulations to Matt. Additionally, another player who definitely was not mentioned and should have been for a legitimate conversation of top draft picks is the Adkins kid from Middle TN. He is a big lefty with major league stuff evidently. He is featured in an article on Teamonebaseball.com today. Sometimes in East TN we forget about the other quality players in other parts of the state.

JC beat Spencer 1-0 and he only had 1 little hit against JC in the double header. Gun I saw he never reached 94 only 91 once.

Jeffersonairplane,

How many times have you ever thrown just 91 mph or had 18 k's in a game? It was only about 50 degrees at most and he still had 18 k's. As far as hitting, he was walked 4 times (2 or 3 intentionally). Not his best game at the plate, but remember he is 1 of 9 players on the team and occasionally other people are gonna have to step it up.

I played in the Morristown West/Jeff Co. game. Spencer maybe hit 91+ once or twice. He is really smooth up on the mound. The only thing I have to say about him striking out 18 hitters is did he get a mark in the win column after the game? no, Jeff. Co. won. Matt is a great player i'll give him that, but Jeff. Co. got the job done at the plate. Also Travis Jenkins, a junior, kept the west hitters to only 3 hits and jeff co got 5 so what does that tell you?

Jeffersonairplane,

Please refer to my earlier post where I corrected baseballninja on Spencer's velocity. I agree with you, Jefferson County got the job done and West didn't. No need to make excuses for Spencer because he played a fantastic game, but still came out on the losing end. The title of this thread is about Matt Spencer, not whether Jefferson County beat West High. It sounded as if you were trying to imply that Spencer was not all he is cracked up to be based on the fact that he only topped out at 91mph and didn't get the win in an 18 strikeout performance. Therefore, I simply put the question to you as to how many times you have topped out at 91mph or had 18 k's in a ballgame. From your reply, I can tell that would be zero (0).

Again we are not talking about me. As you said this is about Matt Spencer. As I said Matt is a great talent. I am not taking that away from him. No, I did not throw 91 or strike out 18, I was not a pitcher. But if you want to make this thread talking about you and me we can. Lets talk about your playing level and playing time. It may be alot or none at all. I will be glad to show you my college stats. Lets see your college stats. But that does not settle anything. Let hear about you eo1914.

Edited by jeffersonairplane

No thanks! I try not to live vicariously through high school athletes or relive my past "glory days" on internet message boards. Instead, I enjoy reading these boards and keeping up with high school athletics and the athletes who play them. Additionally, I think that if you don't have anything positive to say then it is probably better kept to yourself.