Chattanooga results

Hamm

UTC did defeat Boise State 28-17 (did I mention that Boise State are the defending Pac-10 Champions)

Tennessee-Chattanooga 28, Boise State 17

125 – #8Matt Pitts (UTC) fall Clint Wofley (BSU) 1:51

133 – #9 Scott Jorgensen (BSU) dec. #17 Josh Keefe (UTC) 3-1

141 – #17 Michael Keefe (UTC) fall Jacob Scoles (BSU) 6:30

149 – #13 Ben Cherrington (BSU) tech fall Wayne French (UTC) 17-2

157 – #18 Jake Yost (UTC) dec. Luke Salazar (BSU) 5-3

165 – #16 Jon Sioredas (UTC) fall #20 Russell Brunson (BSU) 4:01

174 – Justin Otis (UTC) major dec. Ben Gilliland (BSU) 10-2

184 – John Davis (UTC) dec. Casey Phelps (BSU) 3-2

197 – # 13 K.C. Walsh (BSU) dec. Josh Ward (UTC) 3-1

HWT – #14 Jacob McGinnis (BSU) fall Diaz Edwards (UTC) 4:16

Oklahoma State 36 Chattanooga 6

125-#8 Pitts dec Stevens 3-2 (UTC 3-0)

133-#17 Keefe loses by injury default to Derek Friskhorn (OSU 6-3)

***May have dislocated his elbow!

141-Ronnie Delk dec #17 Keefe loses by 12-8 (OSU 9-3)

157-#17 Kevin Ward maj. dec #18 Jake Yost 8-0 (OSU 13-3)

149-#1 Zach Esposito dec Wayne French 15-10 (OSU 16-3)

165-Sioredas dec #2 Johnny Hendricks 5-3 (OSU 16-6)

174-#1 Chris Pendleton pins Justin Otis (OSU 22-6)

184-Kehrer dec JD in Overtime 5-4 (25-6)

197-#2 Rosholt pins Ward (OSU 31-6)

Hwt-#1 Mocco pins Diaz in :14(OSU 37-6)

Sioredas knocked off 2 top 20 wrestlers on the day!!!

Edited by Hamm

This was copied from another forum (Themat.com) by an OSU fan, but it is another summary of the events....

A few notes from the match.

OSU-UTC

125 - Not much action, 3-2 Pitts(UTC) over STevens 3-0 UTC

133 - Wow. Frishkorn is the real deal. Near TD, then quick in on bear hug, TD, and looked like UTC kid dislocated his elbow. 6-3 OSU

141 Delk (OSU) over Keefe, 9-3. Delk looked pretty good, seems much more aggressive on his feet than last year. 9-3 OSU

149 Espo (OSU) over French 15-10. The UTC kid hung tough! Espo was a bit sloppy, tried a suplay in the first, and the kid countered and **** near deck Espo. Espo fought it off, escaped, and took French down. Kid looks pretty strong physically. Wpso took it to him i the 2nd though, and cruised to a W. 12-3 OSU

157 Ward (OSU) over Yost. Ward very steady, cruided to a 8-0 md. 16-3 OSU

165 Sioredas (UTC) over J. Hendricks. 5-3 Hendricks looked lousy. Looks like he is starting off like last year, with questionable conditioning, except weight shouldn't be the problem this year. JH looked very gassed, and Sioredas got pretty frisky at the end, barking over JH as the horn sounded - looked kinda punk-ish to me. 16-6 OSU

174 - Pendleton (OSU) WBF - not sure who he wrestled, they had 2 listed, and it was over too quick to find out! Pendleton looked great for the minute or so he was on the mat. 22-6 OSU

184 Kehrer (OSU) over Davis 5-4 OT. Not sure of the competition, but I like this kid from OSU. Won a scrappy match in the Oragne-Black wrestle-off over Blackmon, and won a scrappy match here. True freshman, not sure how well he'll do, but he attacks, and I like his effort. 25-6

197 Rosholt (OSU) WBF over Ward. The kid from UTC hung tough. Like last year, Rosholt has a tendancy to let people in deep. Sometimes, he as some great hip action, he gets away with it, and often scores. Other times, he loses a TD. The kid was hanging tough, something like 9-4 when Rosholt decked him. 31-6 OSU

HWT Wow. Cowboy fans are giddy over this transfer. Mocco WBF over Edwards. Took less than a minute. Crowd goes nuts over this guy.

here's another....

UTC - UTC looked like they were in better shape. It was much more evident in the 141 pound match than any others, IMO. This team got hurt alot, though. 133 and 157 both used all their injury time.

BSU - Just outclassed. Good team, just didn't have the firepower. This team lacked big throws, it seemed like. They had decent leg shots at certain weights but I don't think any of them tried anything high-risk.

125 - Stevens was in on a couple shots, but couldn't finish. Seems to be a recurring issue. Against Pitts, neither seemed to dominate, Pitts just won the takedown battle. I thought Pitts looked better vs. Skyler Holman and Stites than he did Stevens. He won against all three, however. In the 2nd match, Stevens completed a shot and got a nice rideout to close the match against a kid who had talent but not much else. Stevens was 3 seconds away from riding time.

133 - Frishkorn just catapulted himself into the top 5. He absolutely dominated. His weight pulling and match inexperience did not play a factor in either match, as he put on a clinic of grambys, flashy duckunders, and solid single leg shots. He was in on a single leg on Keefe and Keefe reached around to grab an ankle and roll out of bounds with it. So, upon the reset, Frish shoots, tries to adjust the front headlock by hitting a duckunder to a bear hug.. and when he lifted Keefe from the duckunder/bearhug, Keefe stuck an arm out and the injury occured. Frishkorn was furious when the match was stopped bc he was going to take Keefe to his back. Against Jorgenson, it was a takedown clinic and there were some pretty exciting scrambles. If you buy the MVP service from okstate.com, go back to this match and watch the first and second period for sure. Jorgenson never got his offense rolling and was just absorbing Frish's shots. Played defense most of the match and got caught in a Peterson roll that nearly ended up being a pin. Good good scrambles.

141 - Delk gassed pretty bad against the UTC kid. He was lucky enough to not give up a takedown at the end of the 3rd period and instead peaked-out for his own. If he had given it up, the match would have been tied. Delk wrestled similar last year at this time, so nothing to be alarmed about. I'm not sure which match it was, but he got caught in a lateral drop which may show that people are expecting it now. He still wrestled good enough to win both matches. His snake was very very very tight against a decent BSU kid.

149 - Ohhh Espo. Headcase for sure. He opened the first match extremely confident and hit an inside trip for a takedown and was controlling a lesser opponent. Then, I guess he got extremely overzealous and tried a double overhook suplay and got caught on his back and nearly pinned. This took quite a bit out of him. He just wasn't the same for the next two duals. He did show some tough tilts and turns, but I think he may be making wrestling too complicated. Double overhook suplays and reverse half nelsons with his feet.. That's just too flashy and not solid enough. Perhaps it was detrimental for him to go to Athens and watch Saitiev and Co.. He doesn't need that stuff, nor does he need to do it in collegiate wrestling right now. Although it was a weak opponent, Zack should have won with singles, doubles, trips... Basic stuff. The 2nd match, he looked very timid compared to how he came out the match before. He had a good series on top in the 2nd match especially.

157 - Ward injured Yost after getting in on a nice single leg early on. He then continued to ride Yost like a dog (4 minutes I believe) when he chose to continue. He had the arm on the back many times, but just couldn't really get a turn out of it. Yost is a tough wrestler and I think his injury played a part in him losing 8-0. However, I don't think the outcome would have been any different regardless. His second match was just impressive. He had turns, takedowns, escapes, everything he needed to do, he did. Almost got the fall at the end of the match with a half but time ran out.

165 - Sioredias is a tough tough wrestler. He wrestled Pendleton a 7-6 match in the Big XII finals a couple years ago, and wrestled Tyrone Lewis some hard fought matches as well. He's not known to be a scoring machine, but he can neutralize people's offense extremely well. This was not much different. Hendricks has very little variety in his offense, and when he can't get a wrestler out of position, he struggles to score. He didn't take a whole hearted shot until the 2nd period and Sioredias took advantage of this. In the third, I think Sioredias could have taken Hendricks down once or twice more if he really pursued the takedown. However, this isn't as bad as it looks for Hendricks. He starts out slow, and he is wrestling a tough under rated wrestler. He'll turn the corner when it matters, I'm sure. The loss sure took it out of him though. His ****iness and his pushy style didn't seem to be there at all tonight. It was interesting to notice that against the BSU wrestler, when he was in on the snatch single leg on their feet, he couldn't finish the first takedown. In that position last year, the takedown was nearly automatic for Hendricks. However, the BSU kid fought it off and didn't put himself in danger too badly. Perhaps something unrealized is that Hendricks is helping himself by not cutting to 157 anymore, but the strength advantage he had over everyone else is not there?

174 - Pendleton will dominate everyone this year. Askren is 174's only hope and it's looking like a glimmer at best if tonight is any indication.

184 - Clay didn't impress me much here. Although he won twice, he didn't score but two takedowns in two matches. He also didn't wrestle very high caliber wrestlers. He's just a freshman so perhaps the quality of the wrestlers on his team around him is setting too high of a standard. However, those guys will be lucky to qualify for NCAA's. Clay will need to step up another level in his offense before challenging for a top 8 finish if tonight is his top performance. However, he seemed to really be excited to be there tonight and I do think he gave his all. That's respectable and it's something that the coaches can work with.

197 - Didn't look like normal Jake tonight. Although he did garner a fall in one of his matches, he didn't dish out a takedown or riding clinic by any means. He wrestled solid, but didn't seem like the #2 guy in the nation wrestling an unranked and #13 wrestler. That's just an observation however. I've never heard of either of the opponents, so maybe they're better than I know of.

285 - Although both opponents weren't very much challenge for Mocco, he did show some good offense. The UTC kid tried to go toe to toe with Mocco and stood up too high. Instead of footsweeping like he probably could have, Mocco shot a nice double leg and put the kid on his back for the quick fall. In the 2nd match, Mcginnis didn't respect Mocco's shape or his defense at all. He shot in without setups and got promptly taken down every time. When he refused to stand up after being cut and released, Mocco would footsweep him and just embarass him. Complete domination. Mocco hit a double leg and a single leg snatch for takedowns, as well as scoring alot from stall warnings and spin behinds. He broke the BSU kid, who just looked bewildered that the match wasn't over yet. Interested to see how his offense will look against Konrad next weekend.

Jon Sioredas is in his second year as a starter at UTC.  He is a transfer from the University of Missouri where he wrestled for 3 years (including his redshirt year).

825432632[/snapback]

If I remember right Sioredas wrestled in HS at Great Bridge HS in Chesapeake, VA. To anyone that follows HS wrestling I think that this school is known as one of the best in country and they tend to produce tons of state champs, along with national champs, and plenty of top rate collegiate wrerstlers.