District 3AAA

mocs30

Here are my predictions for the coming season and some comments. And just so everyone knows, I played at Powell and I still help out with the team, so I'm obviously biased.

1. Powell: This team has excellent size, with five players 6'4" or taller. The problem that I see with this team could be maturity. Matt Hargis has as much potential at the point as anyone around here, but his aggressiveness gets the better of him on occasion and he has yet to prove that he can be a great floor general. Same with Lee Smith. Great talent, but sometimes turns into a loose cannon. If he can control his emotions, he will be very difficult to stop. Chris Connor is just a sophomore, but has loads of potential. In fact, he is further along than either of his brothers at this age, and they were both Division I players. Chemistry will have to be just right if this team hopes to achieve their goal of a substate game.

2. Karns: The anti-Powell. They shoot it great, but have little size. They have the best player in the district in Fersner and he could lead them to the title. They also have a real good home court advantage. Very loud student section.

3. Clinton/Oak Ridge: Clinton lost a lot to graduation and transfer, but they reload there. I am sure that they will be very good, but not nearly as dominant as the past few years. Oak Ridge has to replace the best point guard in the area. They are also considered to be somewhat down this year. Again, they reload at Oak Ridge. They will win more than they lose and could contend if they gell. They have a great shooter in Younkin.

5. Halls: Great point guard, what else? Borum has never impressed me during a game, even though I know he can shoot the eyes out of it. He needs to be more mature. People in my neck of the woods are buzzing about this team. I'm looking forward to watching them, but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.

6. Campbell County: Another team people are talking about. They have been bad since 1994/1995. Campbell County will have to show me something before I give them the respect that they want.

7. Central: Took Farragut to Double OT in a scrimmage. That surprised me. They have a disciplinarian over there. I know they will play hard, but I question the talent level.

Edited by mocs30

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my predictions for the coming season and some comments. And just so everyone knows, I played at Powell and I still help out with the team, so I'm obviously biased.

1. Powell: This team has excellent size, with five players 6'4" or taller. The problem that I see with this team could be maturity. Matt Hargis has as much potential at the point as anyone around here, but his aggressiveness gets the better of him on occasion and he has yet to prove that he can be a great floor general. Same with Lee Smith. Great talent, but sometimes turns into a loose cannon. If he can control his emotions, he will be very difficult to stop. Chris Connor is just a sophomore, but has loads of potential. In fact, he is further along than either of his brothers at this age, and they were both Division I players. Chemistry will have to be just right if this team hopes to achieve their goal of a substate game.

2. Karns: The anti-Powell. They shoot it great, but have little size. They have the best player in the district in Fersner and he could lead them to the title. They also have a real good home court advantage. Very loud student section.

3. Clinton/Oak Ridge: Clinton lost a lot to graduation and transfer, but they reload there. I am sure that they will be very good, but not nearly as dominant as the past few years. Oak Ridge has to replace the best point guard in the area. They are also considered to be somewhat down this year. Again, they reload at Oak Ridge. They will win more than they lose and could contend if they gell. They have a great shooter in Younkin.

5. Halls: Great point guard, what else? Borum has never impressed me during a game, even though I know he can shoot the eyes out of it. He needs to be more mature. People in my neck of the woods are buzzing about this team. I'm looking forward to watching them, but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.

6. Campbell County: Another team people are talking about. They have been bad since 1994/1995. Campbell County will have to show me something before I give them the respect that they want.

7. Central: Took Farragut to Double OT in a scrimmage. That surprised me. They have a disciplinarian over there. I know they will play hard, but I question the talent level.

825440870[/snapback]

mocs30 this is borum i agree that ive not played good against powell in my career but i dont get where u say i need to mature. i think i have matured alot since last year and dont let my emotions get to me as bad. but thanks for the comment about i can shoot although ive not been shooting that great since football ended.

mocs30 this is borum i agree that ive not played good against powell in my career but i dont get where u say i need to mature. i think i have matured alot since last year and dont let my emotions get to me as bad. but thanks for the comment about i can shoot although ive not been shooting that great since football ended.

825440895[/snapback]

That was based purely on observations from last year. If you say that you have matured alot since last year, then that is great. You should have a great year. Next time I see you, I'll introduce myself. Good luck on the season.

at times last year i did show i was not very mature but i think i have changed this year and i would like you to introduce your self cause i have seen where you have made some very good post on coacht.com

825441358[/snapback]

Thanks ptp. Who do you guys play early on this year?

1. Oak Ridge Tradition, Coaching, Domsic good addition. The class of the district year in and year out. I don't think they will be any worse than 2nd.

2. Halls Best P.G. in E. Tn., good size, Borum will be a good addition at 2. Must play defense or they will drop to 4 or worse.

3. Karns can score but will they play defense. Internal problems might become an issue as the season goes on. They could very well challenge for the top spot if they can keep the wheels on.

4. Powell good size. Experience may be a problem as well as the ability to maintain composure in a heated situation. This team could be as high as 2nd. and as low as 6 th. Early success is very important.

5. Clinton Lost a lot of players. Team discipline has been an issue in the past. They have some talent but will they mesh.

6. Campbell Co. Hear they are improved. We'll see. May be the sleeper in the bunch.

7. Central Talent isn't good, Coach is more of an administrator than a Coach. Hard worker, disciplinarian, organized but I don't think he can match wits with the other Coaches around the district. Central is entrenched in this spot for the next several years.

Have I left someone out?

1.  Oak Ridge  Tradition, Coaching, Domsic good addition.  The class of the district year in and year out.  I don't think they will be any worse than 2nd.

2.  Halls Best P.G. in E. Tn.,  good size,  Borum will be a good addition at 2.  Must play defense or they will drop to 4 or worse.

3.  Karns can score but will they play defense.  Internal problems might become an issue as the season goes on.  They could very well challenge for the top spot if they can keep the wheels on. 

4.  Powell good size.  Experience may be a problem as well as the ability to maintain composure in a heated situation.  This team could be as high as 2nd. and as low as 6 th.  Early success is very important.

5.  Clinton  Lost a lot of players.  Team discipline has been an issue in the past.  They have some talent but will they mesh.

6.  Campbell Co.  Hear they are improved.  We'll see.  May be the sleeper in the bunch.

7.  Central  Talent isn't good, Coach is more of an administrator than a Coach.  Hard worker, disciplinarian, organized but I don't think he can match wits with the other Coaches around the district.  Central is entrenched in this spot for the next several years.

Have I left someone out?

825446769[/snapback]

I don't think that Powell could possibly drop lower than third, unless they have some injury problems. Otherwise, good analysis I think. Karns is a team that I feel is more likely to win the district tournament than the regular season title. They could put a run together over the course of three days, but over a whole season, I don't think that their defense will be good enough to beat out Powell. I did not know that Domsic was at Oak Ridge; did he transfer from Bearden? I did not factor that into my thinking. The long and short of it is that this district is wide open. Powell will get a chance to make a big statement tonight. I will post on the game tonight when I get home.

Edited by mocs30

825440870[/snapback]

Campbell Co made sub-state in 2000.

While I certainly respect bigcatt's opinion and he has very good posts, I think he should note that Clinton's success over the last nine years (when he comments that Oak Ridge is the class of this district year-in and year-out).

1997 - regular season and tourney champs

1998 - regular season and tourney champs

1999 - regular season champs

2000 - tourney champs

2002 - regular season and tourney champs

2004 - regular season and tourney champs

It should be noted that Oak Ridge won the tourney in 1999; the regular season in 2000; the regular season and tourney in 2001.

Powell won the regular season in 2003 and I know the tourney title game was Oak Ridge-Powell, and I'm pretty sure Oak Ridge won.

I think it has been safe to say that these TWO programs have been dominant, although the perception by some may be different.

Edited by marcvols

Clinton won the region in 1997 and 1998 beating Bearden in the title game in 97 and Oak Ridge in 98. Oak Ridge won the region in 1999 beating Clinton in the title game. Clinton lost first round region games in 2000 (to Maryville), 2001 (to Farragut), 2002 (to William Blount), and 2003 (to Maryville) before winning the region over Farragut in 2004. An Oak Ridge fan will have to help me here but I believe that Oak Ridge lost a first round region game in 2004 (to Maryville), region semifinal in 2003 (to Maryville), region first round game in 2002 (to Maryville), region first round game in 2001 (to Maryville); I believe Oak Ridge won the region in 2000 (at Farragut - beating Maryville??).