What has happened, Part II

I heard the same from a coach and former player.

As an example, Diana Taurasi played for a team that never did play well in the national tournament. Talented kids will be seen or talked about.

825702409[/snapback]

Isn't that the girl that played for Southern California in AAU that won the Nationals in the late 1990s? Was a contender for the National title almost every year? Or am I thinking of someone else? If she is the one that played for Conneticut, I am sure she was on the Southern California team. Where did you get the info that they didn't do well?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13u

Team Pride                          tied for 5th

Shelbyville Sport Shop Nike  tied for 9th

West Tn Tigers                      tied for 9th

not sure where the other Tn teams finished.

Championship Bracket:

Memphis Elite

Tenn. Elite

Tenn. Tigers

Classic Bracket:

Tenn. Raiders

Tenn. Stars

825702334[/snapback]

Am I seeing this correctly? 8 teams from Tennessee made the Nationals? My Goodness, how many teams were at the Nationals, 200 or more? So what are you saying that every team that made it to the State tournament went on to the Nationals? How many teams were signed up in the 13 and Under age group in Tennessee? Please don't tell me AAU is getting like softball with qualifying tournaments, where you have some patsys come to your place for a tournament to qualify yourself for the Nationals.

Am I seeing this correctly?  8 teams from Tennessee made the Nationals?  My Goodness, how many teams were at the Nationals, 200 or more?  So what are you saying that every team that made it to the State tournament went on to the Nationals?  How many teams were signed up in the 13 and Under age group in Tennessee?  Please don't tell me AAU is getting like softball with qualifying tournaments, where you have some patsys come to your place for a tournament to qualify yourself for the Nationals.

825702473[/snapback]

Yes, there were 8 teams from Tennessee who made it to Nationals which had 116 teams playing. Of those 8 teams, 7 of them played in the 13U State Tournament. AAU has added tournaments known as Super Regionals (41 of them for 13U teams all across the US), which allow good (usually) teams to qualify in particularly tough states, such as our own. Because of these Super Regionals, 3 of those teams above (W. TN Lady Tigers/Elite, SSS (Nike), and Team Pride) entered the State Tournament already with a bid, and because of that the bids from the State Tournament got passed down to other teams. The only team that did not make the State Tournament was the Tennessee Raiders who qualified in one of the latter Super Regionals throughout the year.

Now, I know that it may seem like AAU is letting in alot of teams at Nationals that do not belong there, but if you look at what was posted, some states, like our own, need those extra qualifiers. 6 of the 8 teams that TN sent qualified for the Championship Bracket. If these Super Regional bids had not been available, then only 3 teams from TN would have gotten bids when it is very apparent that TN had teams that were very capable of finishing well at Nationals (much better then teams from weaker associations) that would have been sitting at the house. It's all about including athletes. While all teams should strive to bring home that National Championship, they should also realize that it's not just about that. AAU is about bettering yourself as a player, bettering your teammates, and getting your face out there for college scouts that may have not seen you had you not been at Nationals. If you bring home a National Championship then all the better.

Also, if my memory serves me right, Diana Taurasi never played on a AAU National Championship team. I think she might have played on the 14U, 15U, 16U, and 17U OGDL teams in 1996, 1997, 1998, and 1999 with Ebony Hoffman that finished tied for 7th, 4th, 4th, and tied for 7th. I'm not positive that she was on the that team, but I am about 99.9% sure that she was never on a National Championship team or a team that reached the National Championship game.

Edited by ptguard12

Yes, there were 8 teams from Tennessee who made it to Nationals which had 116 teams playing.  Of those 8 teams, 7 of them played in the 13U State Tournament.  AAU has added tournaments known as Super Regionals (41 of them for 13U teams all across the US), which allow good (usually) teams to qualify in particularly tough states, such as our own.  Because of these Super Regionals, 3 of those teams above (W. TN Lady Tigers/Elite, SSS (Nike), and Team Pride) entered the State Tournament already with a bid, and because of that the bids from the State Tournament got passed down to other teams.  The only team that did not make the State Tournament was the Tennessee Raiders who qualified in one of the latter Super Regionals throughout the year.

Now, I know that it may seem like AAU is letting in alot of teams at Nationals that do not belong there, but if you look at what was posted, some states, like our own, need those extra qualifiers.  6 of the 8 teams that TN sent qualified for the Championship Bracket.  If these Super Regional bids had not been available, then only 3 teams from TN would have gotten bids when it is very apparent that TN had teams that were very capable of finishing well at Nationals (much better then teams from weaker associations) that would have been sitting at the house.  It's all about including athletes.  While all teams should strive to bring home that National Championship, they should also realize that it's not just about that.  AAU is about bettering yourself as a player, bettering your teammates, and getting your face out there for college scouts that may have not seen you had you not been at Nationals.  If you bring home a National Championship then all the better.

Also, if my memory serves me right, Diana Taurasi never played on a AAU National Championship team.  I think she might have played on the 14U, 15U, 16U, and 17U OGDL teams in 1996, 1997, 1998, and 1999 with Ebony Hoffman that finished tied for 7th, 4th, 4th, and tied for 7th.  I'm not positive that she was on the that team, but I am about 99.9% sure that she was never on a National Championship team or a team that reached the National Championship game.

825702545[/snapback]

OK you won me over. Not a bad idea as long as the super regionals are open to anyone, not just a hand picked few to get you qualified like in softball sometimes. I did notice in some years every team from Tennessee would be much better than the state champion from certain states. And even a dozen or so left at home would be better than the champion in that state. So I guess it is a good idea. I guess it makes the state tournament less exciting, but so be it.

Isn't that the girl that played for Southern California in AAU that won the Nationals in the late 1990s?  Was a contender for the National title almost every year?  Or am I thinking of someone else?  If she is the one that played for Conneticut, I am sure she was on the Southern California team.  Where did you get the info that they didn't do well?

825702469[/snapback]

She played for the Southern California Women's Basketball Club which never finished in the top 16. As a senior playing in the 16U National Tournament in Kingsport, she was not even named as an All-American although Maria Conlon(UConn), Michelle Munoz(UT, Ohio ST.) and Ashley Battle(UConn) were.

So I ask you, where did you get your information?

As to the large number of teams qualifing. I agree that it has become too easy to qualify and that deminishes the accomplishment of placing in the state qualifier.

I believe the main purpose of the SRT's is an attempt to stop the decline in the number of teams in the national tournaments. This also ultimately means more money.

The national experience is a great thing for these kids. It allows them to see and play against the best, which cannot be a bad thing. But AAU is supposed to be a competitive, you should want to win and not go just for the experience.

She played for the Southern California Women's Basketball Club which never finished in the top 16. As a senior playing in the 16U National Tournament in Kingsport, she was not even named as an All-American although Maria Conlon(UConn), Michelle Munoz(UT, Ohio ST.) and Ashley Battle(UConn) were.

So I ask you, where did you get your information?

As to the large number of teams qualifing. I agree that it has become too easy to qualify and that deminishes the accomplishment of placing in the state qualifier.

I believe the main purpose of the SRT's is an attempt to stop the decline in the number of teams in the national tournaments. This also ultimately means more money.

The national experience is a great thing for these kids. It allows them to see and play against the best, which cannot be a bad thing. But AAU is supposed to be a competitive, you should want to win and not go just for the experience.

825702587[/snapback]

Ok Trueline, you say she never finished in the top 16 in any year playing for Southern California. I will try to find out. I have been thinking about the Super Regionals etc. and I see nothing wrong with them. I admitted that our state, and some others, have a dozen or so better teams than some state's champions. But what I would suggest is that the teams already qualified for the Nationals, not play in the state to make it more competitive and exciting.

825702587[/snapback]

The number of overall teams participating in AAU has increased throughout the years (maybe not in Tennessee every year, but overall they have). The number of teams attending Nationals tends to go up and down depending on the age group, talent level, other playing options (YBOA, MAYB, BCI, ect.), and of course the economy. Sure AAU would love to have 200 teams in a National because that means they have 2000+ kids with 4000+ parents and siblings. And with parents and siblings come more money for ticket sales, merchandise, and concessions which equals $$$ for AAU which is not a bad thing. I see nothing wrong with them making money for the service that they provide to these kids.

As for SRT's making it to easy to get to Nationals. If it were not for SRT's, then a team like the 13U Memphis Lady Elite would have been sitting at home instead of playing in Dayton. Now I ask, how is that fair? Because they come from an association, or state, that tends to produce many top tier teams that they should be left out because they didn't finish in the top 3 at the State Tournament. They were 3 points shy of being one of the top 16 teams in the country, yet they wouldn't have even been given that chance had SRT's not been made available. I don't feel that SRT's take away from the State Championships, because I doubt if you ask any of this years State Champions which was more important---getting a bid to Nationals or being the best team in their state, they would pick the first (at least I hope not). Also, just because teams like KGC and Team Pride entered the State Tournament with a bid to Nationals, did that mean that they took that championship any less seriously? I don't know if you were at the 13U State Championships, but I never once seen a team that gave me the impression that they were thinking, "Oh it's ok that we lost, we're still going to Nationals." Each and everyone of those teams played their hearts out knowing that they were going to Nationals anyways. Those SRT bids did not deminish the quality of that tournament at all.

Also, in all my years of attending National Tournaments, I don't think I've ever witnessed a team that didn't go there to win. Of course, there were teams there that got killed all 5 games they played, but that doesn't mean that they didn't go in there to win those games. The experience of it all is something the kids should enjoy whether they win or lose, not the other way around.

825702587[/snapback]

Ok, I wasn't sure about which team she had played for. I knew that she lived only about 30 mintues away from Ebony Hoffman who at the time was considered the next best thing to Diana Taurasi. I knew that Taurasi was never an AAU All-American or on a team that played for a National Championship, but I wasn't sure if she had played on the Olympia GDL teams with Hoffman that had finished so well 4 straight years.

The number of overall teams participating in AAU has increased throughout the years (maybe not in Tennessee every year, but overall they have).  The number of teams attending Nationals tends to go up and down depending on the age group, talent level, other playing options (YBOA, MAYB, BCI, ect.), and of course the economy.  Sure AAU would love to have 200 teams in a National because that means they have 2000+ kids with 4000+ parents and siblings.  And with parents and siblings come more money for ticket sales, merchandise, and concessions which equals $$$ for AAU which is not a bad thing.  I see nothing wrong with them making money for the service that they provide to these kids.

As for SRT's making it to easy to get to Nationals.  If it were not for SRT's, then a team like the 13U Memphis Lady Elite would have been sitting at home instead of playing in Dayton.  Now I ask, how is that fair?  Because they come from an association, or state, that tends to produce many top tier teams that they should be left out because they didn't finish in the top 3 at the State Tournament.  They were 3 points shy of being one of the top 16 teams in the country, yet they wouldn't have even been given that chance had SRT's not been made available.  I don't feel that SRT's take away from the State Championships, because I doubt if you ask any of this years State Champions which was more important---getting a bid to Nationals or being the best team in their state, they would pick the first (at least I hope not).  Also, just because teams like KGC and Team Pride entered the State Tournament with a bid to Nationals, did that mean that they took that championship any less seriously?  I don't know if you were at the 13U State Championships, but I never once seen a team that gave me the impression that they were thinking, "Oh it's ok that we lost, we're still going to Nationals."  Each and everyone of those teams played their hearts out knowing that they were going to Nationals anyways.  Those SRT bids did not deminish the quality of that tournament at all.

Also, in all my years of attending National Tournaments, I don't think I've ever witnessed a team that didn't go there to win.  Of course, there were teams there that got killed all 5 games they played, but that doesn't mean that they didn't go in there to win those games.  The experience of it all is something the kids should enjoy whether they win or lose, not the other way around.

825702761[/snapback]

You obviously have more experience with this than I, but I have watched my daughter's age group(1991) since she was nine and she has been on teams that attended the nationals through state qualification as well as SRT's.

SRT's certainly give more kids the opportunity to experience national competition, but alot of families use their vacation to attend nationals and if a team does go and gets waxed early, it could just as easily turn into a bad experience.

I had a coach of very successful club here tell me that he took a team to the Division II tourney several years ago and they won it. He said it meant just as much to those girls as a DI title would.

I certainly don't claim to know what is right or best, but I can say (again) that having watched all the top five teams in the 13U nationals this last week, with the exception of the Ford Worth Frogs, there is not a team in Tennessee that can compete with their current roster. Now, will that change in the future, I don't know. I would hope that most of the talented kids would gravitate to one or two teams and maybe be able to bring a title home before they leave for college.

Yes, I was at the 13U State Tournament and yes all teams played hard, but the fact that they were playing for two seeds in the nationals certainly played a role.

And in reference to the following:

They went into the post even though there post player played with a hurt hand and couldn't really catch the ball all that well. And though she struggled early on in pool play with it, she eventually adapted to it, and she was a big reason they came away with 1st place.   

825702761[/snapback]

they actually have four post players. :angry:

Edited by trueline

You obviously have more experience with this than I, but I have watched my daughter's age group(1991) since she was nine and she has been on teams that attended the nationals through state qualification as well as SRT's.

SRT's certainly give more kids the opportunity to experience national competition, but alot of families use their vacation to attend nationals and if a team does go and gets waxed early, it could just as easily turn into a bad experience.

I had a coach of very successful club here tell me that he took a team to the Division II tourney several years ago and they won it. He said it meant just as much to those girls as a DI title would.

I certainly don't claim to know what is right or best, but I can say (again) that having watched all the top five teams in the 13U nationals this last week, with the exception of the Ford Worth Frogs, there is not a team in Tennessee that can compete with their current roster. Now, will that change in the future, I don't know. I would hope that most of the talented kids would gravitate to one or two teams and maybe be able to bring a title home before they leave for college.

Yes, I was at the 13U State Tournament and yes all teams played hard, but the fact that they were playing for two seeds in the nationals certainly played a role.

And in reference to the following:

they actually have four post players. :lol:

825702790[/snapback]

Please don't make statements that have no basis as mentioned above....I stand firm on my experience and understanding and observation. The game is not played on paper, but rather on the court. The best team in the nation for 13U got beaten as everybody can on any given day by just about anybody, depending on the circumstances. The best team is and was the 13U West TN Lady Tigers/Elite. I have watched hundreds of teams in that age group and stand firm that they were the best. Unfortunately, they can't prevail when they shoot approximately 15% and are called for approximately 78% of the fouls called during their respective losses.

Sometimes it just wasn't meant to be! thumb

The Coach. I agree with you that the Tiger/ Elite Team was a very good Team.And I too may be bias at times for all the Tennessee Teams! But there is one fact that remains. You had great guard play, and you can win it ALL at the younger age groups with good guards.But @ 13u up you must have at least one dominate post player! It wouldn't hurt to be in the extreme height range like 6'2 - 6' 4". If you look at the National Championship Teams check out the post players. They all have ONE and some have two or more. The older the wiser. You must have an inside - outside game. Just my 2 cents.