Weights and times

Westaussie

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forty times mean diddly squat. Game speed is all that matters. Not to mention, having a good forty time just ends up starting a ###### contest between everyone anyways.

If they mean squat then why do all colleges and NFL teams want to know what they are? Believe me they mean alot, along with other test that measure speed and strength. They also will look at game film, and watch you play. But size, strength and times attract them.

And anyone 6'5", 260 and runs a 4.6 forty if they can tie their shoes they will make it big. Alot of highschool kids have 40 times that are blown way out. If a kid is this big and can play in highschool 4.8, 4.9 collegiate times will do.

If they mean squat then why do all colleges and NFL teams want to know what they are? Believe me they mean alot, along with other test that measure speed and strength. They also will look at game film, and watch you play. But size, strength and times attract them.

And anyone 6'5", 260 and runs a 4.6 forty if they can tie their shoes they will make it big. Alot of highschool kids have 40 times that are blown way out. If a kid is this big and can play in highschool 4.8, 4.9 collegiate times will do.

Brother man, forty times do attract (for what ever reason), but they don't prove anything. what does a fast forty time prove? Nothing during a game in my oppinion. I don't see guys lining up in a sprinting stance during a game and sprinting 40 yards without breaking stride and then stop. I would think some kind of agility drill thats timed using side to side movement would make more since than some over rated forty time. This is just my thoughts.

The most important things for a lineman are foot work, explosion off the los, and hands (not the kind for catching either guys). If you have ever played offensive line, you should know this. 40 speed can be very misleading. Of course in college ranks the 40 speed is looked at, but it cannot indicate a good football player. Hmmm, maybe I screwed up and ended up in a track forum.

if he can run in the low 5s he can play college ball, but he will prolly have to play some football over here before hes able to play college ball.

so by that rational a kid that can't catch, fumbles all the time and can't hit or block but as long as he can run in the low 5s, he can play college ball???

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I coach rugby and football in Western Australia and would like some advice as to what times and weights linemen should be achieving to be competitive in the US High School system. I have one lad who is 16 and already plays seniors over here. He currently holds the world power lifting records for his age group but I need to understand the speed and endurance criteria applied to teams in the US. Any help would be a fantastic help. He wants to go to college in the US but needs to see if he can be competitive.

I'd look at the top college players, and their 40 times, and try to go for those.